• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSX Extreme -- THUG2 Review. Rush job? Yep. But fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/reviews3/review.asp?RevID=7

...after suffering through a variety of lackluster handheld ports, we've finally got something that can be called a cure -- and we have Sony to thank.

Upon first play, you'll instantly note that THUG2 Remix looks a lot like its console cousins. Nothing about the stages has been cut out, scaled down, or severely changed. That is of course, when you first take a look at the game. Take a closer look and you'll notice that from a technical point, this port is pretty darn rushed.

Still, after taking a break from the series, it feels good to pick it up again -- on a handheld no less -- and relive the classic gameplay in addition to the more open-ended story mode. It's still more of the same, and the lack of a fully functioning online mode hurts a bit, but it's fun and very time consuming.

Despite the sound effects, the rest of the game's audio is pretty much worthless; the decent voice acting is ruined by the glitching, and the fantastic soundtrack is ruined by the ticking.

While Shaba converted the PSP port very faithfully, it overlooked a number of issues that I can only hope are not overlooked in the next Tony Hawk title -- whenever that may be. Until we see a new Tony Hawk game, we'll have to live with THUG2 Remix; and that's not such a bad thing.

Yes, it's a very up and down game. It's got more faults than most critics would like to think, and I'd say they're pretty hindering. I think critics are being a little too easy on the launch games, but that's a whole other issue. THUG2 is still a good game, definitely enjoyable, but technically flawed.

BuddyC

Classic mode is exactly what the Tony Hawk series used to be. The goals are simple, always enjoyable and each level has a two-minute limit. Anyone who's ever played the older Tony Hawk titles will know what to expect from this mode; collect S-K-A-T-E, achieve a High score, pro score, sick score, find the secret tape, collect various items, grind a certain line and so on and so forth. There are a total of 140 goals to collect in the game, and die-hard fans of the original four titles will absolutely love playing this mode. It should be mentioned that the game allows you to turn off link tricks like the invert, manual, walking, autokick and 180 spin taps; so you have the ability to customize the feel of the game to match the feel of your favorite.

Not quite.

For those of you planning to buy THUG 2 for Classic mode who haven't yet played it in any incarnation, you should know it's not the exact same mode as the older titles, that is, unless 4 really mucked things up.

First off, the stat points. My memory gets fuzzy after Tony Hawk 2 (and I stopped playing them after 3) but I don't like having to find Stat Points to increase my skater's stats. They're a pain in the ass to get, six levels into Classic mode and I've only found five, maybe spotted two or three more. That makes levelling up your skater much harder, which in turn, makes those big ass combos required for the later levels more of a pain.

I don't care much for focus mode either, I'm tired of every game incorporating bullet time. My main beef is that you practically have to use focus mode to rack up the combos, due to the stat issue.

Lastly, the level progression just sucks. In Tony Hawk of old, levels would be unlocked as you accomplished more and more goals. It didn't matter which level you accomplished these in, just as long as you had met X amount overall. Not so for THUG 2 - unlocking the next tier of level(s) requires you to accomplish six goals in one specfic map. I'd rather go back to the first map and finish off those objectives instead of trying to nail a 400,000 point run with low stats, but no.

Apart from those points, which really only apply to the pickiest of the die-hard Tony Hawk fans of old, I agree with the review.

AlphaSnake

Well, it's a lot more basic than story mode and is incredibly reminicent of the original stuff. Yeah, they threw in some new things just to keep it a little fresh, but that was pretty expected. I'm not really having trouble with the classic mode at all - challenges are pretty breezy.

logo_small.gif
Nice logo!

Can you do funky tricks in a half-pipe in this game? :lol

Terms of Service said:
F. Spam

Outside advertisements or solicitations promoted by posting messages, private messaging, or e-mailing users via Gaming Age Forums is unacceptable and will be subject to banning. Examples include: pyramid schemes, your own website, etc...

Sorry

AlphaSnake

WasabiKing said:

1UP does it...and this would've been posted by someone else anyways, like a few of our other PSP review. But ok, lock away. :rolleyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom