• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Purchased the SteelSeries Arctis Pro and Astro C40 TR. My impressions

Hello NeoGAF. I recently bought 2 new gaming accessories and I wanted to share my experience with you in case you are ever on the fence about buying them. I bought both knowing that I can also use them on PC even tho I keep delaying a PC Gaming build. I am not a professional writer. Keep that in mind.

First up is the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless
purchase-gallery-apro-wireless__white-hero.png__1850x800_q100_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.png

Comes in Black or White. I choose White since my last 2 were (mostly) Black.

Now this is the 3rd headset I have owned in the last 10 years. I had the Turtle Beach PX5 for the PS3 I bought 10 years ago. I used them thru the PS3 years and into the PS4 launch. Really enjoyed them except to the need for Double A batteries (bought rechargeable) and the Mic Arm that is in front of your mouth. Then I bought the Astro A50 and really enjoyed them as well... except for the Mic. I don't like the Bill Belichick look while gaming you could say.
ayakmla8ald9mrixzitg.jpg

So these SteelSeries without the Belichick Mic is a plus for me.

They advertise this headset as having "Lossless Audio" and... yeah in over 50+ hours so far I haven't lost audio once. Not a single crack, pop... nothing. Sound is as good as I can expect.

I like the ability to change settings without PC software, using the Transmitter Base
wireless_eq.mp4
wireless_chatmix.mp4

Very quick and easy. Has presets or you can fine tune. Adjust almost every thing. It is also where you charge your battery packs.

It comes with 2 battery packs!. I love that. I would have bought a 2nd if it didn't have 2 tho. So as soon as my Battery Pack needs to be recharged I have another already charged. I am easily getting more than 10 hours out of each battery.

Only edge I'd give the Astro A50's is that they are slightly more comfortable around the ears after a few hours.

Everything on the headset is pretty flush. I like that but it did take a few minutes to adjust. The Power button is domed and the Bluetooth is concave. The Mic Mute button is a push in and out. However when muted your mic has a RED LED that is easily seen, just in case you aren't sure.You can adjust volume on either the Headset or the Transmitter Base. *I turned off the Volume limiter on the Transmitter Base and thought that was a better way of using the Headset.*

Overall I have ZERO complaints about the Headset. Best I've used. Had I been given different color options. I'd choose Red. But White was a nice change of pace. I can't speak for durability since I haven't had them for long, but this guy bends the shit out of them and they are good.

He also did a good review imo.

They sell for $330. It will be most peoples biggest drawback.

Feel Free to ask any questions.

I also bought the Astro C40 TR Controller. Am I going pro? No.
71sPAw%2BpqbL._AC_.jpg

And I also love this. As a matter of fact, it's easily the best controller I have ever used. It fixes every complaint I've ever heard about a Sony Controller.

It's big and heavy. It feels like you can confidently throw it against a wall and only break the wall. Sticks, face buttons, bumpers, and triggers feel perfect.

The best way to describe this controller is it took the best parts of an Xbox Controller and the best Parts of a Playstation Controller and made a perfect hybrid.

If you are a fan of Symmetrical sticks? You can have that. Are you a Asymmetrical peasant? You can have that too! Changing them is super easy. And you never feel like you are gonna break it.

The sticks themselves are 2 pieces. You got the Top, which you can change. It comes with 2 Standard Concave tops, 2 Standard Dome, and 1 Tall Concave and 1 Tall Dome. I wish they had just given me 2 Tall Concave. But you can buy whatever else you want from them. They sell packs of Tops of whatever style you want for $20.

The second part is the bottom Module. They sell that for $20 as well. Just in case your stick stops working. Controller comes with a 6 month warranty. I bought at Best Buy with a 2 year warranty.

There are 3 drawbacks I can see people having.
1. You can't turn the PS4 on with the Controller. This isn't an issue for me. Controller sits on top of the PS4 anyway.
2. They use a light system of White and Amber... Flashing and Solid to tell you the battery life. Also not an issue for me since you have the option of playing wired or wireless.
3. Wired cord may not be long enough for some. It was for me, I'm not sitting 20 feet from my PS4. USB to Micro USB.

Also the Controller is $200.

Getting at least 10 hours of battery life.

Has trigger stops. I don't need or use them but playing around with them, they feel like they are tough.

The software is pretty great. Hook up to PC and fine tune everything if you desire. From Stick and trigger sensitivity to rumble sensitivity... Not just enable or disable. Complete button remapping. 2 on Controller profiles you can change to.

2 buttons on the back that you can assign whatever you want
pdp_dallas_6.jpg

Feels really good. My middle fingers never miss them.

Controller my look slick, but its some kind rubbish material that feels great.

I've used almost every 1st party controller. I've used the Xbox Elite, The Scuf Impact. Boy that Scuf Impact felt cheap. Sure enough it was.

If I had the option to use either the Xbox Elite or the C40, I'd choose the C40 every time.

Any questions about either, feel free to ask.

Or if you just want to share what you are using, feel free to do that too.

Mista

Banned
Came here for the C40 and wasn’t disappointed. I hate the DS4 and can’t do jack shit with it. That’s one of the big reasons why I game mostly on the Xbox. The Elite is very cheap and feels like the production cost was $5! Don’t know if I’m willing to spend $200 on a controller right now but I’ll have this in mind when I’ll get a new controller for the PS4. Thank you Musky

Ulysses 31

Liking my Artcis Pro Wireless also for the last couple of months, bought an extra pair of batteries, the stand and hard case from steelseries for it. :lollipop_grinning:

Only issue is that it does have pops and distortions if I use a non USB2 port.

Last edited:
Came here for the C40 and wasn’t disappointed. I hate the DS4 and can’t do jack shit with it. That’s one of the big reasons why I game mostly on the Xbox. The Elite is very cheap and feels like the production cost was $5! Don’t know if I’m willing to spend $200 on a controller right now but I’ll have this in mind when I’ll get a new controller for the PS4. Thank you Musky
Yeah I've heard the QC issues of the Elite.

But when your hands touch that C40, there will be no buyers remorse. It's just perfect.

Its so good that if the PS5 launched in 18 months (Day One for me) I want to use the C40 with it. And if I couldn't and had to purchase a C40.2 at $200... its also a Day One purchase for me.

Liking my Artcis Pro Wireless also for the last couple of months, bought an extra pair of batteries, the stand and hard case from steelseries for it. :lollipop_grinning:

Only issue is that it does have pops and distortions if I use a non USB2 port.
I am going to get the stand as well. I think my next big purchase will be a Uplift desk.

BunzLee

+1 for the Arctis Pro Wireless. Most expensive headset I've ever bought, but totally worth it's money.

I have cats, so anything with a cable is a huge no-no for me (they bite through them), so having the base with a second battery that you can simply swap out is awesome. I have also never had any issues so far, and I've been using it for probably a year or so.

+1 for the Arctis Pro Wireless. Most expensive headset I've ever bought, but totally worth it's money.

I have cats, so anything with a cable is a huge no-no for me (they bite through them), so having the base with a second battery that you can simply swap out is awesome. I have also never had any issues so far, and I've been using it for probably a year or so.
Replace Cats with Kids and we have similar stories 🤣

Mista

Banned
Yeah I've heard the QC issues of the Elite.

But when your hands touch that C40, there will be no buyers remorse. It's just perfect.

Its so good that if the PS5 launched in 18 months (Day One for me) I want to use the C40 with it. And if I couldn't and had to purchase a C40.2 at $200... its also a Day One purchase for me.
Another thing that matters the most is how comfortable it is while holding it for a long time and if you have big hands or no. Because I have massive hands, that’s why I hate the DS4 and that analog sticks being next to each other

Another thing that matters the most is how comfortable it is while holding it for a long time and if you have big hands or no. Because I have massive hands, that’s why I hate the DS4 and that analog sticks being next to each other
I just measured my hands

With my hand completely opened it's 9 1/2 inches or 24.13 CM from tip of my pinky to tip of my thumb

and

8 3/4 inches or 22.225 CM from bottom of my palm to tip of my middle finger

C40 fits well in my hands

Mista

Banned
I just measured my hands

With my hand completely opened it's 9 1/2 inches or 24.13 CM from tip of my pinky to tip of my thumb

and

8 3/4 inches or 22.225 CM from bottom of my palm to tip of my middle finger

C40 fits well in my hands
This is good. Thank you mate
This is the Xbox One Elite controller you're talking about, right? :pie_diana::pie_diana::pie_diana:
Yes the same Elite I bought three times and two of my mates bought 4 to 5 times each :)

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I am having some issues mapping specific buttons to the two additional grip buttons on the controller. The pc app just will not let me remap some of the functions.

Is anyone here seeing a similar issue when trying to map to RB/RT and LB/LT?

I am having some issues mapping specific buttons to the two additional grip buttons on the controller. The pc app just will not let me remap some of the functions.

Is anyone here seeing a similar issue when trying to map to RB/RT and LB/LT?
No are you hitting sync?

Also try this

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Does the Astro have the audio jack at the bottom of the controller? Also, does the PS logo not work to turn on the console?

Pagusas

Elden Member
$200 for a controller is a bit steep, but id pay it as i hate sony’s Controller so much... but why can’t it turn on the system :(

Last edited:

DjMystix

100% agreed on Arctis Pro. Been using it for almost an year now with zero issues. These are truly the best gaming headset money can buy.

As for C40, I have always been on the look out for the absolute best controller (not a pro gamer but I want the best-est experience). My last favorite controller was Razer Raiju and I have recently switched to Razer Raiju Tournament Edition and I can’t tell you how amazing that controller is. Now, C40 woudl’ve been easily a better controller but those 4 custom button placement on Raiju is just so well done that I can’t switch to any other controller anymore. Nacon Unlimited is also good contender but for me Raiju TE (for xbox style layout) or Raiju Ultimate are the best controllers in the market right now.

Having said that Raiju TE and UE both had a rough start. I had to get my controller replaced 3 times before they finally updated the hardware and fixed all the issues. I really loved the C40 but I am not ready to give up the custom button layout of Raiju.

Great reviews though. I’m glad you are enjoying your purchases :)

klosos

Damn nice pick up's there Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese . I am looking to pick up the C40 but no news on when they are released in Europe. i have always preferred the layout of the Xbox Controller then the PS4. $200 is a bit steep but your glowing appraisal of it makes me want it more now.

Damn nice pick up's there Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese . I am looking to pick up the C40 but no news on when they are released in Europe. i have always preferred the layout of the Xbox Controller then the PS4. $200 is a bit steep but your glowing appraisal of it makes me want it more now.
If you are talking about the sticks, you can make them asymmetrical

Also sexy video for you Mista Mista

Mista

Banned
If you are talking about the sticks, you can make them asymmetrical

Also sexy video for you Mista Mista

Oh I saw this on the first day it got released. The part where they switched the places of the analog sticks made me droll. Because I like the analog sticks of the Xbox and with the C40 I can do the same

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Being a bit of an audiophile I won't ever touch Steel Series

All about getting a great set of listening cans, attaching it to a AMP/DAC and using a separate device for the microphone

Controller is pretty boss though, never used one myself. Then again I'd rather game on a keyboard and mouse for just about every game I touch soooooooooooooo

Orenji Neko

Not gonna lie, I prefer the stick layout on the Xbox and Nintendo controllers, but that C40 looks like a fine piece of hardware indeed.

TheShocker

I can’t comment on the controller, but I have the Arctis SteelSeries 3 console edition headset and I absolutely love it. Easily the most comfortable headset I’ve ever used. I’m hoping to upgrade to the Xbox exclusive 9x in the near future.

zeorhymer

I'll have to check the controller out. I have Scuf controller and it's wearing down. If I can use the Astros on the PC without extra software I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

I'll have to check the controller out. I have Scuf controller and it's wearing down. If I can use the Astros on the PC without extra software I'll probably pick it up this weekend.
No other needed software. Download the Astro software for customization and firmware update.

If you get it, make sure you let GAF know your opinions.

Top Bottom