• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q4 Rapup 2015: Culminating the Year of the Savage

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

hSsYt.png

Good Albums at a Price

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – It's pretty much a flawless marriage of his earlier somewhat downtempo melodic style and his more recent trap influenced mixtape output. Freddie's range is arguably most apparent on Shadow of a Doubt. He enlists a motley crew of rappers to feature on these tracks, and they're are a few moments where it feels like he's really trying to experiment with his sound, but the basic formula of what makes Gibbs special is ever present and very rarely does it feel like he's pandering.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – While it would be easy to try and downplay the quality of the album's coming of age story by comparing it to other great hip-hop album, namely G.K.M.C., doing so would serve as a great injustice. The internal struggle plaguing the artists is portrayed with a spirituality and poeticism that is unique and personal despite the similarities in the general story arc.

Sample Song
Consequence of Sound Review
What's Really Good – The sheer range of emotions and tones on this album are astounding, it's at times brash and cold and at others overtly thin-skinned and vulnerable. More importantly, Gibson sounds at home over all of it.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Village Party 2 is such a ethereal, illusory wide, with Alex Wiley utilizing his melodic rapping style to weave in and out the deep THC-laden haze filling each of the downtempo tracks. This is definitely some high-class-smoke-session-fodder.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – When you title an album Year of the Savage you bring upon your work certain malevolent expectations. On nearly every track Banks' brings a venomous energy and furious attitude. He honestly sounds possessed on some of these tracks like he's rhyming with the eye of the Tiger or Sharingan, standing heights over the beat on every track, which is an amazing feat in of itself considering the great bombastic production on this album.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Exquire is such a unique story teller and showcases one of the strongest personalities in rap. The vivid imagery and references he utilizes throughout this little EP conjures such strong feelings of 90s era nostalgia. I've never been to New York, but the details and minutia covered in a single Exquire line transports me directly to Brooklyn in 1996 before the gentrification and beautification.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Spitta is probably the most consistent rapper in the world in terms of his output, but recently he's been sort of adding these little flourishes to his sound and experimenting with somewhat heavier, more lavish production. Canal Street Confidential is a big variety pack, and it's pretty impressive to hear how natural Curren$y sounds rapping over trap production. And there are these really wavy tracks like Speed and Winning whose dreamlike characteristics are only elevated when combined with Spitta's slow slurred nasally flow. The only misses are the R&B/Pop radio hiccups sprinkled throughout the tape.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Mark Battles, a previously unknown rapper to me, has single handedly made me care about an every man rap album again. Numb reminds me of those early J. Cole mixtapes that displayed a rap style that was quite conscious, yet modern enough and versatile enough to keep the cringe/corn factor at a minimum. "Chicken" is one of my favorite tracks of the year.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – Looking at the somewhat feature heavy tracklist I had suspected that Pusha had succumbed to the same music making tactics of his fellow GOOD Music counterparts, but to my surprise Darkest Before the Dawn is a fairly understated yet calculated piece. For the most part, Pusha is playing it safe rapping over the same types of minimal synthy beats that got him to this point, and the feature list actually is a bit deceiving as they mainly pop up as small components to sprinkle a little flavor over each track. If you like Pusha in the past you'll like this, but maybe it's a little too safe overall needing a little of that GOOD Music bigness after all.

Sample Song
Pitchfork (Doc 2.0) Review
Needledrop (Doc 2.5) Review
What's Really Good - The good news is that if you throw enough shit at a wall some of it will indeed stick, but the bad news is that if you look close enough at the shit you will still find bits of corn scattered throughout. There are some great beats and features on both of these albums, and the little homages to the old west-coast gangsta sound all seem to work best. However, underneath all of these features and beats is the same name-dropping and pedestrian storytelling Game who understands the who, what, when and where part of telling a story but seems to gloss over the why...

QUARTER ONE LINK
QUARTER TWO LINK
QUARTER THREE LINK

HiResDes

Got It For Cheap

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – Moreso than Slime Season 1, the sequel seems be a compilation of tracks from the huge leak that were made around Barter 6 sessions, made later in the chronology. The tracks are also closer to the midtempo range of the Barter 6 tracks, but a bit more experimental and looser overall with Thug trying out new alien flows and rap-singing techniques. I think it might be the most ultimately rewarding project out of the Thug's prolific three-project run

Sample Song
What's Really Good – It's one of the most depressing and honest projects of the year. It's nihilistic and is astute representation of the horrors of the internet age. It's grown on me like a plague, it's the R Plus Seven of the rap world

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Luv is Rage is an ignorant bombastic vice-laden whip certified album with production that wouldn't be out of place on a Travi$ Scott retail album, but it features a rapper with a strong, solidified persona and swagger.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – Waka has done tapes showcasing that he can rap over all types of production and can even get a bit reflective, but this tape marks a return to form and it's a tour de force of cage rattling, head banging, trap music.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Busta Rhymes is one of those rappers who manages to kill nearly every track he's featured on, and yet he has very few great solo albums himself. I'd go as far as to list a top five feature killer of all time. Furthermore, the reason Return of the Dragon works so well is that it manages to bottle up "Feature Busta" fairly consistently. The tape is littered with features and an incredible array of different rap styles. It jumps in and out of eras, melding the now and immediate and throwing the listener back to the hilarious 2000s and the golden era in the next breath. And the sheer ambitiousness makes Return of the Dragon one of the most amusing projects I've heard this year despite the few failed efforts.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – At times Mean Joe manages to recapture the magic of grimy east-coast boom bap while inserting enough of his own personality and context to keep things fresh. Sounds like one of the lost New York gems that you could only come across by digging in the crates of one of those old hip-hop vanguards.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Fifty's back to creating hits with his trademark infectious hooks and turn up music, but now he's employing the talent of all the newly emerging potential hit-makers.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Banks trademark stoic gangsta wordplay, unflappable breathe control, and icy demeanor are all in tact and the horror film inspired minimal production suits the rapper perfectly. It's a match made in heaven, or hell rather.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – On paper the prospect of 90s boom-bap rap groups like Pro-Era and The Underachievers seemed so exciting, but none have really managed to replicate the laissez faire swagger of say Digable Planets or Souls of Mischief, enter Villain Park.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Tape lives up to its title, should have came out in the warmer seasons, but the warm, lush production works well coupled with Fabolous' cool, calm braggadocio. The downtempo tracks are especially remarkable with Fabolous bringing back flashes of the mid -200s radio staples that everyone bumped.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – SHIRT lets loose with an angry, rabid vocal blast on tracks on hard-hitting brolic boom bap tracks.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
DEHH Review
What's Really Good – There are bunch of tracks where KRIT abandons the tired struggle raps and the proclamations of the same label woes and state of the industry tirades and tries to recreate the southern Cadillac music he probably idolizes, but I think the downtempo reflective breakthroughs like "Vanilla Sky" are what really make the tape worth a listen.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Although you can still hear those dark Memphis influences all over this album, it sounds as if Simmie is finally on the path to adding to the foundation rather than rehashing it.. The tape also features production from Purp Dogg, one of the waviest producers in the game.

Sample Song
What's Really Good - Despite the low spot, Bones delivers one of his coldest, darkest projects ever. It's a concentrated desolate and forlorn piece of doom rap

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Joe Moses been super consistent all year delivering west-coast radio ready banger after banger all year and this tape is no different, it gets a little repetitive but it's a worth a listen for the whip-crushing highs alone.

H.M.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – You can tell Key! didn't spend too much time writing the verses or coming up with the choruses as some of them are quite repetitive, but his sort of nonchalant approach to songwriting and spontaneous craftsmanship really lends the album this breezy, accessible feel. He backs some hilarious life mantras employs auto-tune at some quirky times and it just makes the tape more fun. It bumps, as long as you aren't trying to break down shit too consciously.

HiResDes

No love for that Goldlink?

No. I wanted to love it, but I don't really like it all too much. I think he abandoned what made his music special to me. The reckless abandon for fun on God Complex is what made it so amazing. His "future bounce" or whatever he deemed his style was refreshing for being carefree and having this sugary, addictive music quality that abandoned social commentary and personal baggage in favor of being incessantly groovy. Goldlink is too focused on trying to be deep or tell us his artificially sad repetitive story that I couldn't care less about especially when doing so actually makes his music less unique.

T Dollarz

Well I agree with Gibbs in the #1 spot, but I would definitely place Goldlink in second. I agree it's not as great as The God Complex, but I still think it's quite good.

Edit: Actually wait, I might put Canal Street Confidential at #2...

HiResDes

I liked Pusha T's album.

Also, you forgot Lizzo.

Pitchfork Review
80 on Metacritic

I never heard it. Will check it out though.

Well I agree with Gibbs in the #1 spot, but I would definitely place Goldlink in second. I agree it's not as great as The God Complex, but I still think it's quite good.

Edit: Actually wait, I might put Canal Street Confidential at #2...

I feel really really solid about my number two and three.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I know the Rapup threads sometimes get overlooked, but I just wanted to say thanks, and I do appreciate it. I always ALWAYS check these out, and they are always very informative, and I usually find something right up my alley that I haven't heard before! Best to you - and Happy New Year!

PlayDat

Just started listening to Shirt's The Fuck EP and have been finding it pretty impressive. Good to hear he's kept up the quality.

Did you listen to the new Kossisko/100s EP? I know he's not rapping anymore, but is it any good?

Bacon

I know the Rapup threads sometimes get overlooked, but I just wanted to say thanks, and I do appreciate it. I always ALWAYS check these out, and they are always very informative, and I usually find something right up my alley that I haven't heard before! Best to you - and Happy New Year!

Ditto. Always appreciate this shit des keep up the great work

HiResDes

Just started listening to Shirt's The Fuck EP and have been finding it pretty impressive. Good to hear he's kept up the quality.

Did you listen to the new Kossisko/100s EP? I know he's not rapping anymore, but is it any good?
Will check this out, listened to the Lizzo and I came away with very positive impressions, but I gotta say I'd largely qualify it as neo soul rather than hip hop.

Thanks for the love guys. I've been pretty bored as of late so I'll keep doing them at least for another year, but if anyone comes along and wants to take over I'd be down for that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom