• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for people with a PS5 about storage

Woggleman

It looks like I might have a chance of getting one and I know the storage built in is not great. I have a Samsung T5 external SSD and if I connect it to a PS5 do I get the same SSD benefits that I would get from the PS5's internal one?

Portugeezer

Not for PS5 games.

PS4 games will get similar benefits as the internal SSD.

But you can't store PS5 games on it, and if you could (via future update), you wouldn't be able to play PS5 games from external.

Larlight

Currently you can only store PS4 games on an external drive until Sony gives a software update to allow PS5 games for storage. PS4 games will benefit from improved resolution and framerates no matter where it’s stored. (PS5 SSD or external drive). If you DO install PS4 games on the SSD, you might notice improved loading times. But the difference might be negligible. PS5 games however must always be installed on the SSD to play them as they take advantage of the SSD.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I hear that a game like Days Gone has 4k and 60FPS. Will I still get that on an external SSD?

I dont think you can even play the "patched" (this game has an actual ps5 patch vs just being backwards compatible) version as its considered ps5 - and therefore would only play on the ssd.

Last edited:
I dont think you can even play the "patched" (this game has an actual ps5 patch vs just being backwards compatible) version as its considered ps5 - and therefore would only play on the ssd.
I'll test this out when I get the chance. I actually downloaded Days Gone to the SSD, but I'm pretty sure it gave me the option to transfer it to my external hard drive. I assume it will still run 4k 60fps from the external hard drive, maybe just with slower loading times? I will test it out when I have time, probably Tuesday.

OrtizTwelve

I'll test this out when I get the chance. I actually downloaded Days Gone to the SSD, but I'm pretty sure it gave me the option to transfer it to my external hard drive. I assume it will still run 4k 60fps from the external hard drive, maybe just with slower loading times? I will test it out when I have time, probably Tuesday.

It will run fine on the external drive as all PS4 games will. You shouldn’t have any performance issues in gameplay.

My personal opinion for this gen is to keep all previous gen games (PS4 / XBOX ONE) on an external drive and leave the onboard drive for current gen (PS5 / XBOX Series).

The games on the external may not load as fast as the onboard drive but at least space is managed better.

Games will still function fine running on external and you should see some improvements. There’s an exception for XBOX Series games that are optimized for X|S and are from last gen — I think they can still run on external but I’m not 100% sure.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

It will run fine on the external drive as all PS4 games will. You shouldn’t have any performance issues in gameplay.

My personal opinion for this gen is to keep all previous gen games (PS4 / XBOX ONE) on an external drive and leave the onboard drive for current gen (PS5 / XBOX Series).

The games on the external may not load as fast as the onboard drive but at least space is managed better.

Games will still function fine running on external and you should see some improvements. There’s an exception for XBOX Series games that are optimized for X|S and are from last gen — I think they can still run on external but I’m not 100% sure.

I guess it depends on if the ps5 has the older ps4 version or the updated patched for ps5 version. I would imagine any enhanced versions would need the be off the ssd.

bitbydeath

How many games do you need installed at once?

I have 14 games installed right now on my PS5 and that includes big titles like Days Gone and COD.

I also still have over 200GB free for plenty more.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How many games do you need installed at once?

I have 14 games installed right now on my PS5 and that includes big titles like Days Gone and COD.

I also still have over 200GB free for plenty more.
200GB is like 4 games and some dlc.

I have this game installed on external storage and its playable from there.

I hear that a game like Days Gone has 4k and 60FPS. Will I still get that on an external SSD?

Holy shit at all the bad answers in this thread.

Yes, PS4 games will perform the same on the T5 as the internal SSD but might load marginally slower

Last edited:

Yes you will, but the game has weird texture lod pop ups when played on external. Even on the pro using external has the same weird issues. When played on the PS5's internal SSD, no such pop ups are there. You can refer back to DF and NX gamer who mentioned the same. Also 4K60fps works both on external and internal. The quality and frame rate aren't tied to the storage option fyi!

Raonak

Banned
A PS5 patch doesn't mean that it's a native PS5 game. It's still running in backwards compatibility mode, just unlocked performance metrics so it can use PS5 performance advantages, but not stuff like activities, dualsense, etc.

THE DUCK

A PS5 patch doesn't mean that it's a native PS5 game. It's still running in backwards compatibility mode, just unlocked performance metrics so it can use PS5 performance advantages, but not stuff like activities, dualsense, etc.

If true, that's interesting as the xbox one games that are "optimized for Series X" will not run from an external source. That said, in some ways it still makes sense that an older game would be able to use a regular drive even enhanced. However, if true, this may limit enhanced ps4 games on ps5, as they won't be able to harness the full bandwidth of the system.

Internal SSDSeagate Expansion CardUSB external drive
Xbox Series X/S gamesStorage only
Xbox One games (upgraded)Storage only
Xbox One games (not upgraded)
Xbox 360 games
Original Xbox games

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If true, that's interesting as the xbox one games that are "optimized for Series X" will not run from an external source. That said, in some ways it still makes sense that an older game would be able to use a regular drive even enhanced. However, if true, this may limit enhanced ps4 games on ps5, as they won't be able to harness the full bandwidth of the system.

Internal SSDSeagate Expansion CardUSB external drive
Xbox Series X/S gamesStorage only
Xbox One games (upgraded)Storage only
Xbox One games (not upgraded)
Xbox 360 games
Original Xbox games

yeah but the xbox one games optimised for Series S/X are upgraded to go with the better specs so using the old storage won't cut it now.

Raonak

Banned

Though it isn't the full power of the PS5, BC mode does actually load and run games faster and better than PS4... But you generally the game needs to have an unlocked framerate and/or dynamic resolution to take advantage of the performance boost. (That's how xbox BC works too)

Instead of making native versions of PS4 exclusives, Sony decided to just patch some games to upgrade the internal framerate/resolution limits when it detects high specs, so the game can make more use of the power.

In sony's perspective the only game they've upgrade to a PS5 version is spiderman remastered.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I put 360 games on external 5200rpm on my S and it seems to be identical to internal storage. NG2 loaded about the same. The upgraded games obviously don't work, they can't be moved.

Holy shit at all the bad answers in this thread.

Yes, PS4 games will perform the same on the T5 as the internal SSD but might load marginally slower

idk about T5, but T7 is the same as internal for PS4 software. Tony hawk for example loads approx 5 seconds for a level on both. And over 10 on PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom