• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random disturbing historical anecdote

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

Somehow, while researchning the intricacies of WWI-style trench combat, I restumbled onto the story of Count Ugolino Gherardesca.

The Story

I don't know how accurate this version of the story is, but it's the one immortalized in Dante's Divine Commedy, where Ugolino incessantly gnaws on the head of his ally-turned-betrayer Archbishop Ruggeri. The 9th circle of Hell is reserved for those guilty of treason.

In short, Ugolino and Ruggeri were allies during the battles over Pisa in 1298. Ugolino eventually won control of the city, but became paranoid that someone close was working against him. His fears proved true when Ruggeri, a person integral to his success, betrayed him and imprisoned not only Ugolino, but also all the males in his family, as was fashionable during the day.

So, Ugolino and his 4 sons were tossed into this tower, locked in, and left to starve to death. Things got interesting as starvation set in. Dante, please:

"Both of my hands in agony I bit;
And, thinking that I did it from desire
Of eating, on a sudden they uprose,

And said they: 'Father, much less pain 'twill give us
If thou do eat of us; thyself didst clothe us
With this poor flesh, and do thou strip it off.'"

But no, Ugolino didn't do that. Check out Ugolino biting his fingers though. That's a nice little detail. Let's skip ahead to day 6, as Ugolino's last living son dies:

" And there he died; and, as thou seest me,
I saw the three fall, one by one, between
The fifth day and the sixth; whence I betook me,

Already blind, to groping over each,
And three days called them after they were dead;
Then hunger did what sorrow could not do."

Oh yeah. he totally went there. He ate his sons' bodies. Did 50 Cent ever do that?

Auguste Rodin did a nice sculpture of this:

rodin_ugolino.jpg

Ugolino crawling over the bodies of his kids, possibly right before buffet time.

Some other related images:

Gustave Dore's illustration of Ugolino and Ruggeri in Cocytus:

69ugolino.jpg

Another Dore picture (not one of the 'official' Inferno plates, though) of Ugolino sitting in the tower with his sons.

Amusing Canadian WWI propaganda poster. Photoshop please:

pp_can_20.jpg

EDIT:

And for comparison, Salvador Dali's interpretation of the Ruggeri/Ugolino story:

i23.jpg

Oh, Salvador!

White Man

Desperado said:
Oddly enough, we're reading Dante's Inferno in English.

I hate it.

It's definitely hateworthy if you don't know the stories behind the characters. Purgatorio and most of Paradiso are boring even if you do know the characters.

How far into Inferno are you? It gets pretty twisted. The Simonists are hanging upside down in burning baptismal fonts. The first couple of circles are boring (excluding The Dark Forest in Canto I, which rocks), but it all gets awesome once you get to the Gates of Dis.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, I give up. If you're using a literary device, I don't get it. I only see the huge anachronism of having a 14th century allegory be based on World War I.

White Man

Hitokage said:
Ok, I give up. If you're using a literary device, I don't get it. I only see the huge anachronism of having a 14th century allegory be based on World War I.

I was doing research on trench warfare when I when I came upon this story again.

Specifically, I was looking at WWI propaganda posters. There's a lot of really amusing ones, especially the Canadian and Australian ones. I was going to make a thread devoted to those, but I figured that would get too many responses and crash the forum. Naturally I chose to post on this instead.

Desperado

White Man said:
It's definitely hateworthy if you don't know the stories behind the characters. Purgatorio and most of Paradiso are boring even if you do know the characters.

How far into Inferno are you? It gets pretty twisted. The Simonists are hanging upside down in burning baptismal fonts. The first couple of circles are boring (excluding The Dark Forest in Canto I, which rocks), but it all gets awesome once you get to the Gates of Dis.

Actually we finished it...I did enjoy the last few Cantos but overall I just didn't care enough about the characters either way to like it. [even having read the notes on them.]

White Man

Hitokage said:
Story of what, is my question, be it to you or the original author.

Just posting the story of Ugolino as told by Dante. I only mentioned (and posted) WWI stuff because I was looking into it while I came across something that reminded me of the story.

Specifically, I was looking for a decent archive of WWII propaganda posters (since I found the WWI ones so interesting), and I came across a document that mentioned a ship titled the SS Ugolino. It reminded me of something, so I did a few searches and found out his story, which I hadn't heard since college. I decided to share it, and post one of the more amusing WWI Canadian propaganda posters, since I love non-sequitors.

MC Safety

This isn't necessarily disturbing, but is sort of amusing.

Confederate general Thomas Jackson was a bit eccentric. He used to eat lemons and feared to slouch because he thought it would damage his internal organs.

His great accomplishment was, of course, his generalship. He became known as Stonewall for his stand at Bull Run and was one of General Lee's most trusted commanders.

But I'll never forget his real contribution to the fight. He ordered pikes for his men. During the Civil War, this guy had the idea that soldiers should carry pikes into battle.

“Under Divine blessing,” he wrote, “we must rely upon the bayonet when firearms cannot be furnished.”

maharg

idspispopd
usa04.jpg

This one totally needs a spoof based on Nicole Bass. Thank god she's probably still a bannable offense.

Triumph

Banned
I have nothing to contribute other than to say that Rodin's Gates of Hell sculpture is my single favorite piece of artwork, ever!

gates%20of%20hell.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom