• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 is my GOAT

Isn't it just hold R and push button to auto aim at some dude?

How much time does the game make you do stuff and run around for nothing important? Not even the good type of nothing important.

If I want a proper western simulator I should be able to drop pianos on dudes, ride alligators down the Mississippi while drunk and firing pistols. There needs to be singing cats and peyote. I want my shamanic initiation El topo and the holy mountain, Lisa the painful/joyful wild west experience.

The ground should move like piano keys on an ocean. Doesn't matter Im the dude with the cool moustache and the sheriff badge also I'm insane. I'm legitimately Paul Bunyan riding blucifer from the Denver airport pissing gold nuggets in the wild west.

Give me arcanum wild west any day. I'll throw a jar of pickles at the bad guy who wears a hooded robe and hides in the shadows. Even godhand stage one was better. This is wartime in the cowlord kingdom. Let's get outta here.

goddamn, just realized this game with gta style writing and over the top missions would have been goat game contender

Mozzarella

Good for you!
I can't seem to find a GOAT, maybe because i played many different games.
I do have a simple 5 star rating system, 5/5 indicating the highest tier of games i played and my favorites.
I'd give RDR2 a 4/5, which is just below that, a very good game for sure but i also had some issues with it.

Johnny2Bad

One of my favorite games. I've lost count how many times I finished it.

Having said that there are some quirks, most don't bother me but some do.

The ones that don't bother me are:
Animal AI: Animals are just plain stupid. The deer run along side your horse like they want you to shoot them. The rabbits are downright suicidal. They constantly try to run under your horse's hooves. The wolves always attack you while ignoring the plentiful game all around. These don't really bother me.

What does bother me is:
When the game switches my ammo. I buy all the best ammo and when in a mission, the game switches it to regular ammo.

When the game switches my weapons. I'll choose which weapons I want to use and the game gives me a weapon that it figures I should use.

That stupid honor system. I do all these things to build up my honor and I loose a big chunk just for killing a lawman that's trying to kill me in a mission.

Aside from all this I'm still addicted to this game and I still enjoy it every time I play it.

_Ex_

I've been playing video games fervently since 1983. RDR2 is my GOAT as well. I did not expect a AAA mainstream "even casuals and normies will play it" title to ever reach that status for my tastes. But RDR2 is an aberration in that regard. It's simply a masterpiece. Though it helps that I love westerns and exploring nature inherently, and that was quite a bolster to this end.

zeldaring

Banned
What is a similar game that, in comparison, does have engaging and skill-based combat, in your opinion? Which games do you think of when you levy that criticism?
Spider man, Ghost of tsushima, MGSV, batman arkham city/knight, and last of us part 2.

I'm not asking for it be on that level but it's basically autoaim everything or unplayable. The melee combat sucks as well it's just Sad to me cause I played a ton of game and was thinking to my self imagine If this game had some engaging fun combat which it doesn't.

Cashon

Banned
Spider man, Ghost of tsushima, MGSV, batman arkham city/knight, and last of us part 2.

I'm not asking for it be on that level but it's basically autoaim everything or unplayable. The melee combat sucks as well it's just Sad to me cause I played a ton of game and was thinking to my self imagine If this game had some engaging fun combat which it doesn't.
Of that list, I'd say that Metal Gear Solid V and The Last of Us Part II are the only ones that're really comparable. And you're definitely right; in comparison, MGSV feels way better to play.

Too bad everything else about it sucked.

I can't speak for The Last of Us Part II; I haven't played it yet. But it has to be a significant improvement over the first for your statement to be true regarding Red Dead Redemption II, in my opinion.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Of that list, I'd say that Metal Gear Solid V and The Last of Us Part II are the only ones that're really comparable. And you're definitely right; in comparison, MGSV feels way better to play.

Too bad everything else about it sucked.

I can't speak for The Last of Us Part II; I haven't played it yet. But it has to be a significant improvement over the first for your statement to be true regarding Red Dead Redemption II, in my opinion.
It's a massive improvement over the first and plays similar to MGSV.

unlurkified

I just don’t like how they slowed the game down a lot and made it feel way more clunky and cumbersome to play over one. One felt like a videogame but two just doesn’t to me. Maybe if they put out a 60fps patch it’d help.

Last edited:
I’ve said this in other posts but the (beautiful and ahead of its time) open world is at odds with the story and moment to moment gameplay design.
It's a massive improvement over the first and plays similar to MGSV.
Really????? I have never heard its combat compared MGS. Would others on here agree with that? I haven’t played last of us part 2 because I couldn’t get on with the gameplay in the first one.

Ready to be told I’m wrong but I’m skeptical it’s gameplay comes close most Metal Gear releases.

*sorry OP, I’m aware this is going off topic for you

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I’ve said this in other posts but the (beautiful and ahead of its time) open world is at odds with the story and moment to moment gameplay design.

Really????? I have never heard its combat compared MGS. Would others on here agree with that? I haven’t played last of us part 2 because I couldn’t get on with the gameplay in the first one.

Ready to be told I’m wrong but I’m skeptical it’s gameplay comes close most Metal Gear releases.

Most people would agree it's one of the best TPS/stealth shooters it's just many hate what they did to the story so much so they don't want to give it any credit. its comparable to MGSV which has the best MGS gameplay by far.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still waiting for the pre order bonus to be unlocked by Rockstar alongside a 60fps patch
Take2/R* be like,
Cowboy Yeehaw Agenda GIF by NPO Radio 2

Hero_Select

It's the polar opposite to MGS. RDR2's biggest failing is it's old mission design and extremely dated and sluggish gunplay.

The combat is very one note and the weakest part of the game.

zeldaring

Banned
It's the polar opposite to MGS. RDR2's biggest failing is it's old mission design and extremely dated and sluggish gunplay.

The combat is very one note and the weakest part of the game.
MGSV and last us part 2 are not the polar opposite when it comes to combat/stealth. they both are share many things like great fluid gameplay, great animations, and many different way to tackle a scenario. They both have great controls.

Last edited:

Hero_Select

MGSV and last us part 2 are not the polar opposite when it comes to combat/stealth. they both are share many things like great fluid gameplay, great animations, and many different way to tackle a scenario. They both have great controls.
Oh no my mistake I misread. I thought he was comparing MGSV's combat to RDR2 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Johnny2Bad

Natural Hot Spring

F29EB88A-CEA0-448C-9493-5C4BE94F418E-2.jpg

I love the differences in water quality, throughout the world. Take note of how dirty and disgusting the water is outside of the industrialized location.
Did you notice the water at the dock in Annesburg where you confront Cornwall? I think it's to show what Cornwall's mining is doing to the environment.

HawarMiran

Banned
For me it was a yawn-fest. On the other hand I was floored by the technical achievements. Open-world games just aren't that engaging to me. I feel like linear games with bigger areas ( like in GoW and TloU2) are way more exciting

Cashon

Banned
How will you know if you'll like it or not if you don't try it?
Some people know themselves better than others.

For example, I know, for sure, that I don't like games that involve a heavy amount of crafting and looting. I know that I don't find Minecraft interesting at all, and I know that I don't think Breath of the Wild was anywhere near as good as others make it out to be. As a result, I also know that I wouldn't enjoy Tears of the Kingdom, based on videos, reviews, comments, etc..., so I have no interest in playing it.

There are many other games that do have my interest, so those are the ones on which I'll spend my time and money. I encourage other people to do the same with the games that interest them over the ones that don't, regardless of how popular they are.

I think too many gamers, especially those who frequent sites like this, care more about being a part of the cultural zeitgeist or specific conversation (FOMO) than actually playing games (it's a major factor in backlogs, in my opinion).

Last edited:

Johnny2Bad

Some people know themselves better than others.

For example, I know, for sure, that I don't like games that involve a heavy amount of crafting and looting. I know that I don't find Minecraft interesting at all, and I know that I don't think Breath of the Wild was anywhere near as good as others make it out to be. As a result, I also know that I wouldn't enjoy Tears of the Kingdom, based on videos, reviews, comments, etc..., so I have no interest in playing it.

There are many other games that do have my interest, so those are the ones on which I'll spend my time and money. I encourage other people to do the same with the games that interest them over the ones that don't, regardless of how popular they are.

I think too many gamers, especially those who frequent sites like this, care more about being a part of the cultural zeitgeist or specific conversation (FOMO) than actually playing games (it's a major factor in backlogs, in my opinion).
I never trust reviews, comments etc because there's always people who say it's great and others who say it's crap.

I generally like open world games but I've dropped several games that people were raving about. I never know if I'll like it until I play it.

As for crafting, I hate it too but with RDR2 I can buy anything in the shops that can be crafted.

Rockondevil

I likely won’t ever replay it but I absolutely loved it.
I get the complaints it can be boring. You have to want to be immersed in the world for it to work.

Top Bottom