• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Life Slavery Comes Back to America in the Form of Tomato Farm Workers. G-A-F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

bugs-florida.gif

Zzoram

As usual, the rich businessmen profiting from this go free while the middle managers act as the scapegoats.

Enron

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
the Georgia farmers better not hear about this!

Georgia farmers are having a tough time finding enough illegals to work the fields ever since Nathan Deal signed Georgia's shitty immigration law. Now farmers are super pissed at him.

Enron said:
Georgia farmers are having a tough time finding enough illegals to work the fields ever since Nathan Deal signed Georgia's shitty immigration law. Now farmers are super pissed at him.
if florida implemented a law like Georgia's, perhaps the situation in florida would improve

And if field workers were given decent rights and working conditions everybody would complain that the price of tomatoes went up 5 cents. Same reason why corn subsidies still exist despite their known bad effects.

kehs

Banned
So....are these literal slaves of just figurative slaves?

On a serious note, I had a class mate in a recent class that was actually at one of these camps. It's surreal hearing his story considering the time frame it actually happened in.

eastmen

Banned
Enron said:
They should offer a fair days pay for a fair days work.

I bet if they offered $15 an hour they'd get alot of people showing up for jobs

eastmen said:
They should offer a fair days pay for a fair days work.

I bet if they offered $15 an hour they'd get alot of people showing up for jobs

The problem is that people want cheaper foods. If tomatoes increase their prices by even $.50 you'll lose tons of business to someone else.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Enron said:
Georgia farmers are having a tough time finding enough illegals to work the fields ever since Nathan Deal signed Georgia's shitty immigration law. Now farmers are super pissed at him

videogamer said:
if florida implemented a law like Georgia's, perhaps the situation in florida would improve

No, what would likely happen is that entire swaths of perishibles would just rot in the fields, like the story I saw this week about one guy who has $250,000 worth of blackberries doing just that because of the crackdown in Georgia. It's only 25% of his crop.

Here is a link to the story - Moronic leaders pass moronic laws...

videogamer said:
Probably not Germany because they were blaming their ecoli on Spain. And do they even grow tomatoes in Australia?
yes, Australia is big and has a wide variety of climates, most anything you can think of is grown here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom