• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some (good) games with interesting fail states.

sainraja

Someone should design a game where if you die, you go to hell and have to defeat your "keeper" in order to return back to life. They could switch it up too — hell could take the form of a boss fight, a dungeon, etc etc. :D

Sony Santa Monica should remake the first God of War game where when Kratos dies, he has to fight his way back from hell each time and try to keep it fresh, of course!

EDIT
Idea for a Zelda game, since they have already played with the concept of a "light world" and "dark world" (Link to the Past); anyway, the idea is, if you die, you are taken to the dark world and have to earn back your 'hearts' to return to the light world to continue with your mission. :D

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Someone should design a game where if you die, you go to hell and have to defeat your "keeper" in order to return back to life. They could switch it up too — hell could take the form of a boss fight, a dungeon, etc etc. :D
The original Prey already did something like that, but much simpler. It ended up being a bit annoying.

Last edited:

sainraja

The original Prey already did something like that, but much simpler. It ended up being a bit annoying.
I haven't played a Prey game (I think I downloaded it once, a trial or a demo) but never fully invested. Maybe I should give it a go and see how close that is to what I am thinking. But yeah, they need to find a way to keep it fresh so it doesn't become tedious.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I haven't played a Prey game (I think I downloaded it once, a trial or a demo) but never fully invested. Maybe I should give it a go and see how close that is to what I am thinking. But yeah, they need to find a way to keep it fresh so it doesn't become tedious.
It was quite shit tbh. You die, go to some kind of limbo and shoot to some birds or something in order to escape that limbo.

It was the wost aspect of the game imo. Aside from that it was a pretty good FPS with some neat weapon and level design.

sainraja

It was quite shit tbh. You die, go to some kind of limbo and shoot to some birds or something in order to escape that limbo.

It was the wost aspect of the game imo. Aside from that it was a pretty good FPS with some neat weapon and level design.
Gotcha. I was thinking something a bit more... but yeah, even I was thinking it would get old fast, especially if you die a lot, so a way to keep it somewhat fresh and unique would be good and a good challenge for whoever is designing it.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

In the sandbox roguelike I'm designing you can "save the game" by hooking up with medieval ladies, leaving them pregnant. So once you die, you keep playing as your child, time has passed and you are able to avenge your previous character and recover all his stuff.

The thing is, you can hookup with anyone from wrenches to pricesses, and depending on the lady's social status, your child might have some perma buffs or debuffs, giving you a reason to try to hook up with one that has a high social status which will require the player
to increase his own social status in order to be able to do so. What do you think? Hope it's not too fucked up, I tried to go for something realistic and not very frustating while still keeping the perma-death aspect of roguelikes.

MetalRain

CounterSpy, 2,5D action sneaking game has quite interesting mechanic that when you get caught you have limited time to make through the level.

By accident I recorded quite interesting run few years ago.

HL3.exe

Deathloop,

Hunt Showdown, (Multiplayer though, but incredibly tens and atmospheric)

You mentioned Hitman already, but the Freelancer mode added with the last update is incredible and fits your criteria.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

In the sandbox roguelike I'm designing you can "save the game" by hooking up with medieval ladies, leaving them pregnant. So once you die, you keep playing as your child, time has passed and you are able to avenge your previous character and recover all his stuff.

The thing is, you can hookup with anyone from wrenches to pricesses, and depending on the lady's social status, your child might have some perma buffs or debuffs, giving you a reason to try to hook up with one that has a high social status which will require the player
to increase his own social status in order to be able to do so. What do you think? Hope it's not too fucked up, I tried to go for something realistic and not very frustating while still keeping the perma-death aspect of roguelikes.
I think its awesome, but i can hear pink haired mobs screaming in the distance.

Add monster girls to the list to get demi-human buffs,
You can also make so buffs/debuffs from previous generations weaken slowly through each generation before disappearing completely.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I think its awesome, but i can hear pink haired mobs screaming in the distance.
That's a plus and the idea alone is giving me lots of motivation already. :goog_relieved:

Add monster girls to the list to get demi-human buffs,
You can also make so buffs/debuffs from previous generations weaken slowly through each generation before disappearing completely.
Good stuff, I'll write this down so I don't forget to implement it. Thanks man!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
100% the souls formula, specifically Bloodborne because the Hunter's Dream was so well fitted into the place and theme. It didn't feel like a video game reset when you die, but like an actual return to another realm from some kind of deeper nightmare.

Top Bottom