• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redout Patch 1.3 + V.E.R.T.E.X DLC

Skyzard

Banned
Redout Patch 1.3.0
Redout: Enhanced Edition - Drowne
A total of 77 changes from version 1.2.1 to version 1.3.0

Redout TheSecondDLC™ Edition: V.E.R.T.E.X. DLC, new Europa song, change lobby options, more fixes.

V.E.R.T.E.X. PACK
V.E.R.T.E.X. is our second DLC (TheSecondDLC™) that adds a new (virtual) environment to your Redout Experience™. The Virtual Environment for Redout Training EXperience will give you access to 5 new tracks, a boss race, two new songs and two liveries for each ship (including Buran, if you own ThePreviousDLC™). Hope you enjoy the new tracks, specifically crafted to be simple to navigate initially, but incredibly hard to master and top the leaderboards.

v3Q1Zn6.jpg

Grab it here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/627430/Redout__VERTEX_Pack/

OFFICIAL DISCORD COMMUNITY
Our Discord community just reached 500+ active users! If you haven't, you should definitely check it out: https://discord.me/redout!

WALLPAPERS PAGE
Long due, we know! But in case you are interested in having a fancy desktop wallpaper, grab the new Redout ones here: http://34bigthings.com/redoutwallpapers/

NEW FEATURES
Added a new Europa song, Conamara! Legit named after a region of the Europa moon, which is named after a region in Ireland. Look it up.
Soundtrack and Artbook updated to reflect the additions.
Multiplayer: the host can change laps number and game mode without having to quit and re-host a new lobby. (yay!)
Added controller vibration on ship explosion, we thought it would be a nice touch.

TITLE STABILITY
Fixed all residual frame dependencies: life regen and speed bonus still were.
Fixed a memory leak that would potentially slow down your system after a few consecutive races.
Fixed a bug that could be exploited in Speed mode: it was possible to accumulate bonus time before crossing the starting line for the first time, carrying such bonus through to lap 1.

BUGFIXING
Fixed bug for which the accelerator button would become unresponsive if kept pressed during game pause or tutorial message screen.
Fixed a bug for which options would not be persistent in split screen after the first race was over.
Checkpoints value were cut when above 100. We honestly never thought somebody could do that, damn you uberpros.
Lobby chat fixed for AZERTY keyboards: pressing A would quit the chat. Sorry again, dear French friends, we never meant to silence you. Especially after the elections.
Fixed a bug for which the position indicator would go nuts if you died during a jump (long due, we know).
Fixed a bug that would respawn you in the phantom zone if you died very close to a portal gate.
Fixed a problem that would display the wrong upgrades in multiplayer lobby if changing ship multiple times.

TRACKS AND VISUALS
Fixed some lightning issues related to shadow cascade, dynamic shadows and static lightmaps. Yadda yadda technical jargon. English for: you just got better shadows in most places.
Neptune: some moving arms of the space station would compenetrate with the track, potentially causing serious incidents. The SRRL would like to apologize and inform the pilots that a new Neptune operative director has been appointed, as the old one was always drunk.
Neptune: fixed some killing volumes around asteroids, that were actually larger than the asteroid itself. Again, the SRRL would like to apologize. All the over-aggressive asteroids have been replaced with more quiet and less aggressive ones. They got scolded.
Fixed jumps in Europa Shallow Water, Volcano Fingertips and Abruzzo Unmanned where some AI ships would constantly die. Arena Race career events on those tracks have also been changed to other event types, because nobody likes free gold medals, right?
No bunnies added to the game at this time.

The 1.2 update in May was a massive one and updated the visuals and performance significantly, among a lot of other things - so if you haven't played in a while, boot it up.

Recorded a clip:

kSR6u5m.gif

Here's a little longer clip with music of one of the (5) tracks - It's on speed class II (out of IV):

https://a.pomfe.co/khwoqjh.mp4

They consider this a training pack, which is why it has this aesthetic. It's part of the campaign as well.

I picked it up straight away as the Neptune DLC pack, which was space themed, was fantastic and decently priced. This is £4.04 (at 10% off)

I really like the SEGA Rock style music it has going on.

--Here's a boss rush, which has bits from all the stages in the new pack connected in one race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5xOTDa2kI

Check this post for the other stages.

wanders

Did they announce if the DLC is also coming to switch?

This looks dope. How does it compare to FAST RMX?

Verus

Can you explain to me how this game feels? Is it more arcadey? Wipeout? F-zero? Or it's own unique style of play?

Skyzard

Banned

I'd expect the console versions will come with all the DLC, though I'm not sure. The game itself is quite cheap on PC so I'd expect if they release it at standard price it will come with the DLC.

I prefer this over Fast RMX by quite a bit (at least the one I played on WiiU).

This is an excellent game, a little more simulation feel but not to wipeout's level and refreshingly arcade.

Can you explain to me how this game feels? Is it more arcadey? Wipeout? F-zero? Or it's own unique style of play?

It's a mixture of Wipeout + Star Wars Racer. It has modern physics and you do take into consideration momentum and drifting but you aren't focusing on the nitty-gritty movements like in Wipeout.

More of a focus on the long turns and your angle/air drifts.

It's quite different from wipeout and I hate to say it, but a little more fun and less stressful to play.

Raven77

It's a mixture of Wipeout + Star Wars Racer. It has modern physics and you do take into consideration momentum and drifting but you aren't focusing on the nitty-gritty movements like in Wipeout.

O...M...G...I used to love the Pod Racing game on, what was it, N64. Can't wait to pick this up.

Leatherface

I prefer Fast RMX personally. Not that Redout is a bad game by any means but it doesn't really do anything different. It just feels like a pretty but very generic Wipeout. If I want to play Wipeout I'll get the real one that just came out.

Berordn

I prefer Fast RMX personally. Not that Redout is a bad game by any means but it doesn't really do anything different. It just feels like a pretty but very generic Wipeout. If I want to play Wipeout I'll get the real one that just came out.

To be fair, if you're a Wipeout fan the one that just came out are actually several games which you've likely played (and/or paid for) a ton of times since the PSP. If you're looking for something totally new, you've been waiting a while.

Skyzard

Banned
Formula Fusion and Ballistic NG are comparable to Wipeout physics. This is significantly different (and imo more fun, less stressful than wipeout - and I'm a huge wipeout fan).

I don't know how anyone can prefer fast racing, but it's a big world. [A bit harsh, some people like more pure arcade games, though I would imagine this would be more up their alley than wipeout].

Lol and what does Fast RMX do thats different exactly? Redouts clearly the more unique of the two, and takes some serious skill to master.

But there is nothing unique about Fast RMX though. You're comment makes no sense whatsoever.

Skyzard

Banned
I understand Wipeout being the pinnacle of simulation feel futuristic racing.

Redout is the pinnacle of arcade-simulation.

And Fast-RMX is great if you like really pure arcade futuristic racing.

Formula Fusion isn't bad. It's similar (but not as good as) hd but there's an interesting detail in that you can drift in a really fun way. You can basically be entirely horizontal while maintaining your forward momentum more - which makes long twisty turns more fun than wipeout but not so much with normal corners. Though I need to put more time into it and it seems to be getting better each time I load it up.

BallisticNG is like the old wipeouts, and the pure psp game. It's great and has lots of modding. Quite retro.

F-Zero GX I played again recently and it's alright but pretty messed up with weird, glitchy physics and exploitation needed to go faster.
There's an indie game coming out called Super Pilot that looks interestingly similar and is hopefully a little more cleaned up.

Leatherface

But there is nothing unique about Fast RMX though. You're comment makes no sense whatsoever.

I will help you out. I find the polarity-switching gameplay of Fast RMX to be a fun and interesting dynamic on the formula. It adds a layer of strategy to the race which keeps it from being just another generic clone.

I will help you out. I find the polarity-switching gameplay of Fast RMX to be a fun and interesting dynamic on the formula. It adds a layer of strategy to the race which keeps it from being just another generic clone.

Doesn't add any strategy to me. It's still a generic game with something new that I didn't even need to use to win races. Its just there as if to say "Hey we added something new so are racer won't be labeled generic."

Leatherface

Doesn't add any strategy to me. It's still a generic game with something new that I didn't even need to use to win races. Its just there as if to say "Hey we added something new so are racer won't be labeled generic."

That is not true at all. It's pretty much an essential mechanic to win and a major component of the gameplay. You must have played a solid 3 minutes to make that determination. lol

That is not true at all. It's pretty much an essential mechanic to win and a major component of the gameplay. You must have played a solid 3 minutes to make that determination. lol

Same amount you must have played to reduce Redout to a "generic wipeout" clone when it's anything but. And sorry, but praising what is essentially a "match the color!" mechanic is pretty hilarious, the game's mechanics are barely 1 inch deep compared to Redout. One single turn in Redout requires more input than an entire race of RMX.

joesiv

I have fast RMX, wasn't blown away with it... I might give this a go, I didn't know this was out on switch. Looks nice!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I played FAST on Wii and Wii U, and think Redout is a much better AG racer than those two. RMX is just Neo+ on Switch as far as I know, so I'd definitely recommend Redout.

It's hard as hell though, some of the campaign events are brutal.

EDarkness

If Redout has better A.I. with less shitty rubberbanding, I'll be there day one. I still haven't gotten far in FAST RMX yet because the A.I. cheating in that game is beyond what I'm able to deal with. I'd much rather play something else.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If Redout has better A.I. with less shitty rubberbanding, I'll be there day one. I still haven't gotten far in FAST RMX yet because the A.I. cheating in that game is beyond what I'm able to deal with. I'd much rather play something else.

From what I've read Redout just has some rubberbanding in the initial Class I events, maybe to make it easier.

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate, but it's hard to tell. Sometimes it feels like there is intense rubber banding because I'm using an ultra fast ship with turbo boost and augmented propeller, generally racing well, but out of nowhere another vehicle will zoom by me and I'm left wondering where the hell they came from. Other times you can build a big enough lead to drive poorly for a couple turns, fly off the track and crash, and still be able to get going and maintain a lead.

So, I dunno.

AI also drives inconsistently. Sometimes it's annoying because you are in 2nd or 3rd and it just feels impossible to catch up because the AI in front of you is driving more or less perfectly. So if you are driving worse than they are or you are simply in a slower ship, you are SOL. Other times it feels like they bumble around a bit and hit some walls and give you plenty of opportunities to get by.

It's not enough to hurt the game though. I don't really have any problems with race events, unlike survival ones. Those are probably the worst part of the game.

Leatherface

Same amount you must have played to reduce Redout to a "generic wipeout" clone when it's anything but. And sorry, but praising what is essentially a "match the color!" mechanic is pretty hilarious, the game's mechanics are barely 1 inch deep compared to Redout. One single turn in Redout requires more input than an entire race of RMX.

Oh please. Redout's mechanics are nothing special. The whole sharp corner thing, which is the only "mechanic" I can remotely think of that you could be referring to, is basically just a different way to drift corners. Listen I don't even hate the game, I like it. I'm just saying I prefer Fast RMX race mechanics to this. Someone asked which we prefer and that is the one I prefer. You're going to just have to accept that not everyone is blown away by this game.

Skyzard

Banned
I recorded a boss rush stage from the dlc, which basically has all the vertex tracks connected together so you get to see parts of all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5xOTDa2kI

excuse the gameplay, first time doing it and not fully sober
I'm also uploading the boss rush for the previous dlc pack, Neptune. Which is special in that it has long no-track jump sections, fitting with the space theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eWk6coE5D8&t=3m6s

And here are the non-dlc stages, which are good too.

Sorry I disagree. I got pretty far without the mechanic. It's also good to know that you are a psychic and can tell how long I played a game for. Next time I need to find something I've lost, I'll contact you for your psychic abilities.

Top Bottom