• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember that time Capcom produced an expensive Live Action FMV PSX game that flopped? [FoxHunt]

Click Here for the video (the YouTube Embed isn't working for some reason)

It came up on recommended videos and I had to watch it to be sure because the name sounded familiar, and then after my memory jogged I went back in time to the good ol days when you could find flop PSX games for $4 in the bargain bin a few months after release.

Capcom teamed up with 3Vision to produce a very strange and odd FMV "adventure" game that seemed to have been written by a drunk 10 year old child, and was one of the strangest games I've ever seen,:

FU_nB9.gif
(lol wut?)

The video above is only the first part of the game but it may be all you need to understand how bizarre it is that the game was greenlit at all. The game starts out with a very loud intro and some terrorists/Mafia or something then the main character is making funny noises spinning around a room, a guy breaks in his house and fights with a frying pan, then the government comes and makes him a spy or something.

It's the only "exclusive" FMV game on the PlayStation, at least from what I remember. Yeah PSX got ports of other games or maybe got games first and then they got ported later, but Fox Hunt is console exclusive. However, there is a very rare near non-existent version of this game on PC which ran on Windows 95. However there are many issues that make the PC version, if you can find it unplayable, so in reality there's basically only one version of the game. I tried the PC version once a long time ago. The games bad either way though, just very strange.

I'm sure Capcom was feeling this one in the morning and regretted it. Wow. I guess they were trying to make the next Mad Dog, Ripper, Phantasmagoria and lost site of why people liked those games.

cryptoadam

Banned
What an odd era of gaming.

Why did anyone thing these low budget FMV games were somehow going to be the future. I guess 240P videos in tiny little boxes was seen as some sort of amazing technology back then or something.

I mean people really thought it was going to be the new Hollywood. Actors would all soon star in these FMV video games and thats all gamers were going to play.

Even being around at the time I didn't understand it.

So glad that the FMV era never actually took off. Imagine if Nighttrap or Sewer Shark had sold 75 million copies each and we were living in a future where every game company went full FMV hog and thats all we had.

Vlaphor

I loved the hell out this back in the day. Tried playing it recently, but i have the pc version and is got issues on Win 10. I could start a VM, but I don't care enough...

stranno

I have tried the PC version and it works fine on PCEM + Windows 95. Tho it looks like a billion times worse than the Playstation version because of the Quicktime compression, its almost unwatchable.

1PgsFus.jpg

tN6RvgS.jpg

qaj3sWo.jpg

Acting in FMV games is usually bad but good lord this game:

The game is pretty terrible too. Instead of still images for interactive backgrounds and videos for sequences, it relies on videos for everything, so backgrounds are just a really short looping videos with the same crappy angles over and over. It just doesnt work right and you never really know how many angles a room has.

And it has George Lazenby. The worst 007 of all multiverses.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Holy shit I forgot about this! I remember it came in 3 discs and all of us were amused playing it

Top Bottom