• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder: Pokémon Global Link for Pokémon XY/ORAS to shut down October 31st

Andrefpvs

Heads up! The Pokémon Global Link website will close this Monday, rendering the Game Sync option in the 3DS games useless, as well as some other things. The exact shutdown time, according to Serebii, is:

Monday, October 31st, at 23:59 UTC (19:59 EDT, 16:59 PDT, 23:59 GMT / November 1st: 00:59 CET, 08:59 JST, 09:59 AEST)

t1477958400z0.png

I did some research and compiled all the info XY/ORAS players should probably know about what this means for their games.

Here's what won't be available to players after October 31st:

• Using the Game Sync option in XY/ORAS
  • Registering their XY/ORAS games and Game Sync IDs on the Global Link
  • Playing Rating Battles in XY/ORAS (Free Battles will still be available)
  • Any and all services provided by the Pokémon Global Link website for XY/ORAS:
    • Purchasing items for their games with Poké Miles sent to the Global Link
    • Using Poké Miles to play games that award items
    • Viewing their GTS / Wonder Trade / Battle logbooks (players should take screenshots of any info they want to keep)
    • Viewing any photos taken in XY/ORAS that were uploaded to the site (players should download any photos they want to keep to their personal devices)
    • Viewing expanded information on players registered on the in-game PSS
    • Viewing medals (achievements) earned while playing XY/ORAS (players should screenshot this page if they want to keep a record of their accomplishments)

The following things will be permanently lost, if not used/obtained before the shutdown:
  • Any unused Poké Miles stored on the Global Link website
  • Any items purchased with Poké Miles or won in Global Link games that are not sent to XY/ORAS
  • The following items are exclusive to the Global Link website and cannot be obtained anymore after the shutdown, unless obtained at events or by trading with friends:
    • Micle Berry
    • Custap Berry
    • Jaboca Berry
    • Rowap Berry
    • Enigma Berry
      • These berries can be won by playing the "Poké Doll Grabber" game on the Global Link.
      • They're somewhat rare, so don't leave winning them for the last minute!

After October 31st, players should:
  • Change the following options in their XY/ORAS games:
    • PSS -> Game Sync -> Settings -> Auto Sync to [Off], Poké Miles to [Don't Send]

Some more details here: http://www.pokemon-gl.com/oras/close_announcement/en/

The site will be redesigned and reopen for Sun and Moon when the games are released.

OmegaX

Does this include Friend Safari? You can only see all three safari Pokemon from your friends if you both connect to the PSS at the same time after beating the E4 at least once. If so, many hidden abilities will become unobtainable without trading.

Andrefpvs

Does this include Friend Safari? You can only see all three safari Pokemon from your friends if you both connect to the PSS at the same time after beating the E4 at least once. If so, many hidden abilities will become unobtainable without trading.

No, the PSS is independent from the Global Link, and will keep working (as well as the GTS, Wonder Trade, and Free Battles).

Andrefpvs

oh well, time to spend all my points then!

Yeah, I've spent the past hour winning all the exclusive berries and buying some useful items such as Rare Candies, PP Ups, and Heart Scales for the discounted prices.

I should also save some miles and win some evolution items on the Balloon Popping game, since those are usually a pain to get in the actual games.

If anyone's interested, here's a list of all the items you can get for your games on the Global Link website:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PokéMileage_Club

Articalys

I have 20k points. What would be the smartest thing to do with that -- use half to buy 2 Ability Capsules, then split the rest evenly between PP Up, Rare Candy, and Heart Scales?

Forkball

I have 20k points. What would be the smartest thing to do with that -- use half to buy 2 Ability Capsules, then split the rest evenly between PP Up, Rare Candy, and Heart Scales?
Get rare candies.
Bring a ditto to level 100.
Transfer to S/M in January.
Use bottle caps to get a 6IV Ditto.
Become King of Pokémon.

ar4757

It's a convenient way of getting several items, including evolution stones and trade-to-evolve items.

If it weren't for the Global Link, I wouldn't have finished my Living Dex. Got so many hard to get stones from the mini games on the website

It's a convenient way of getting several items, including evolution stones and trade-to-evolve items.

It's not

I used it to try to get stuff for a living dex and found out you exchange these points to play these awful early 2000's flash games. The whole thing was completely bizarre.

I finally just gave up and decided it'd be easier to just go back to white/white2.

Mush

Thanks for the heads-up! Let's see how many points I have on my copy of Y...

4d34ffb3d3c04753bae2852fbe976d34.png

FML

Thankfully I have 4,377 on my copy of AS.

Andrefpvs

What's the point of turning off sync?

Your game won't try to perform Game Sync every time you save it, returning an error message in the process.

To be honest, everyone should have had it off at all times, syncing every time can get pretty annoying for frequent savers :p

Smasher89

You turn of sending pokemiles to the global link, that shut downs and reopens for the new generation.

Tried to get a masterball for the 800 pokemiles in AS, still didnt get any.

Had 14k in XY, so bought 1 ability capsule and around 80 rare candies, then read the comment earlier in this thread, i guess i can go hunting for a shiny ditto later in preparation for sun/moon XD

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Like forcing everyone to "upgrade" to Sun and Moon.

Well, I mean... sure. But at the same time you can still do most things (trading/battleing) in X/Y after this shutdown. So it really doesn't make sense as a "force to upgrade" if you can still do the main-selling features.

Kind of a shame more people didn't know about it. Was a great way to get the trade evo items, the EV items, and the good consumables (PP Up, Heart Scale, etc.).

I'm mostly glad I'll never have to see Graffiti Eraser again. RNG points and prizes for an eternity...

Forkball

It's easier to get the evolution stones via the highest level of Super Training. Global Link was mostly useful for rare candies and Ability Capsules (can you even get those in the main game? Maybe the Battle Maison has it).

I believe someone found the picture for gold bottle caps on the website, so we should be able to buy bottle caps which raise IVs with our Pokemiles in Sun/Moon. It will probably be the easiest way to get them, so folks should definitely be aware of it when they play.

I spent my Poke Miles on 99 Rare Candies on 3 separate games, 99 Heart Scales and blew the rest of Ability Capsules.

Besides the online tournaments, I'm going to be sad about not being able to update my logbook.

Articalys

Okay, so I checked my game inventory and I have:
16 PP Ups
11 Rare Candies
10 Heart Scales

And still have 20k points to spend. So maybe buy three Ability Capsules and split the rest between Rare Candy and Heart Scales?

OmegaX

Okay, so I checked my game inventory and I have:
16 PP Ups
11 Rare Candies
10 Heart Scales

And still have 20k points to spend. So maybe buy three Ability Capsules and split the rest between Rare Candy and Heart Scales?

Buying Heart Scales is a waste of pokemiles. There are places where you can only fish Luvdisc with an old Rod, and 50% of the time they carry a Heart Scale (60% if your lead pokemon has the Compound Eyes ability).

Articalys

Buying Heart Scales is a waste of pokemiles. There are places where you can only fish Luvdisc with an old Rod, and 50% of the time they carry a Heart Scale (60% if your lead pokemon has the Compound Eyes ability).
Appreciate the advice, but far too late; earlier today I wasn't sure if I'd have a chance to access the global link site again (due to work) before it closed, so I cashed out 2 Ability Capsules, 6 PP Ups, 71 Rare Candies, and 58 Heart Scales. Never can be too sure how much I'll want to rearrange movesets, I guess.

Also another bump to remind people this closes in just under three more hours, I guess.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I thought this shut down at midnight pst. I wanted to evolve my Porygon and got a couple of evo items today from that balloon game.

Oh well:(

Top Bottom