• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying levels over and over and over and over again in Sifu is not very fun

Fredrik

You can easily finish Dead Cells in under an hour. An average playthrough of Hades last about 20 min. Even Returnal isn't that long when you know what you are doing.
Well then I obviously don’t know what I’m doing… Still at level 1 in Returnal and I dropped it when I learned that you don’t get the grapple until after level 2 boss, I assume that’s sort of a save point since you can skip level 1-2 after that.
So, nope. No more.
Went to play Miles Morales instead, it’s about 1000 times more entertaining, almost finished it, well spent hours, loving it.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Well then I obviously don’t know what I’m doing… Still at level 1 in Returnal and I dropped it when I learned that you don’t get the grapple until after level 2 boss, I assume that’s sort of a save point since you can skip level 1-2 after that.
So, nope. No more.
Went to play Miles Morales instead, it’s about 1000 times more entertaining, almost finished it, well spent hours, loving it.
To each their own i guess and there is obviously no point in forcing yourself to play something you don't enjoy. Surely it's not only the playtime you didn't like. I just wanted to show you that these games are not that long.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Okay it’s on Gamepass so I’ll give it a quick spin.
Hades is the best roguelike for people who hate roguelikes because it basically tries as hard as it can to not be a roguelike. It has by far the most progression of any roguelike. You always earn progress towards permanent upgrades, as well as significant portions of story progression after almost every run.

And the part that is still a roguelike fits with the story thematically. You're in hell. That's basically the most damning critique of the genre I can think of. The only game that makes the gameplay loop of a roguelike actually fit with the story thematically has you stuck in hell.

Fredrik

To each their own i guess and there is obviously no point in forcing yourself to play something you don't enjoy. Surely it's not only the playtime you didn't like. I just wanted to show you that these games are not that long.
It’s how much time I spent and how little progress that was made that I don’t like. In isolation all the roguelikes I’ve tried are great, the gameplay is spot on, especially Returnal but also LootRiver. But with lots of time spent comes getting bored if I don’t progress. Eventually it feels like I’m wasting my time. Not a fan of that. I dropped my score on Elden Ring from 10 to 9 because it took me far too long to beat Elden Beast. At the end I just wasn’t having fun. I was stubborn and angry. Then the score goes down.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Hades is the best roguelike for people who hate roguelikes because it basically tries as hard as it can to not be a roguelike. It has by far the most progression of any roguelike. You always earn progress towards permanent upgrades, as well as significant portions of story progression after almost every run.

And the part that is still a roguelike fits with the story thematically. You're in hell. That's basically the most damning critique of the genre I can think of. The only game that makes the gameplay loop of a roguelike actually fit with the story thematically has you stuck in hell.
Fredrik Fredrik

In addition you can activate God-Mode which will make the game a bit easier every time you die. I highly doubt you won't be able to finish Hades.

EekTheKat

What helped me was to play slower and get under control. The faster I went the worse I played and the easier I got frustrated.

At it's core it's basically a fighting game disguised as a brawler.

Thought it would be difficult to plat, but it just took a little patience. Overall it wasn't an unpleasant experience to push for the plat despite how crazy hard it may look.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Well you’re right about time waster. 9 hours in and my progression is: sword, house key, secondary fire. I’m so out of that game. Haven’t uninstalled it yet but the next time I need SSD space it’s gone forever. 😤
I’m just glad I never payed for it, got it through PS+.
That's unfortunate because it's an amazing game but I understand if it's too difficult

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I played it for an hour and it wasn’t for me. Felt like a modern day Die Hard Arcade that is harder and more progression based.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’ve played Dead Cells. Not a fan. I don’t think I can be converted.

To me the roguelikes feels like playing old school games when there was no save system, the sense of progression just isn’t good enough for me, and these games starts to feel samey even if there is variations from some randomized elements.

And the thing is, old games were short. A game like The Last Ninja is finished in 45 minutes. And if you loaded from cassette tape you restarted at the level you died since they couldn’t demand you to rewind the tape to reload a previous level. You could retry until you powered off the computer. After power off you were screwed though.
I agree, I’ve tried many many times to get into the genre. Don’t think I’ll ever be a fan. One of the things I love most about games are progression and in Roguelikes there isn’t any from an equipment or ability perspective usually. Everything you discovered and amassed is lost. That to me absolutely kills it for me. In gaming I love unlocking new abilities, equipment, etc. Losing all of that when you die takes the fun out of it for me. I gave Returnal a try and I really loved the actual gameplay of it, but once I had a really good run and got a bunch of stuff and died I had no desire to go back and play again. It’s a shame because that game without the Roguelike elements I think would be really my thing.

hollams

Gold Member
I switched to easy mode and completed it about a month ago and not sure if I would have ever finished it otherwise. The last couple of areas were pretty tough and it would take me too long to get that "gud". I did enjoy the easy mode and glad I got to see everything.

Top Bottom