• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying Planescape torment after many years

Buggy Loop

Pure bliss, its good that i barely remember much of the game and dialogue, though obviously i have a better idea of where im heading compared to the first time i played it. Also playing a mage this time.

The dialogue in this game is pure genius, Reekwind's conversation, the hyperactive evil bitch in the brothel that morte loves to argue with so much, the sensorium with all the little totally unrelated stories which explain in depth the sensations another person put into the stones for you to experience. This game has the best dialogue and script ever in the videogame history, period. If only one out of hundreds of development studios would take an hint and follow Black isle's dedication to make believable and breathing worlds with all sorts of little details and characters that have some complex personalities, it would be a better industry and me a more happy gamer. Sucks that Black isle is no more, though i hear the writer for PT is at obsidian, working on kotor2 :D

Gameplay, its pretty standard in terms of western RPGs, its not bad by any mean, but this is a game that focus so much more on the adventure and dialogue side, that your more important stats in this game are wisdom, intelligence and charisma :p

Best RPG......dare i say it.........EVER!

Fallout 1 & 2 will be next :D

Planescape was fairly enjoyable, and the dialogue was well written, but I'm not sure if it was so well written for a videogame. I seem to recall the game just really bogging down later on under the weight of everything that had to be said.

I guess I'm more of a fan of minimalist dialogue, though.

emerge

I'd attribute a lot of Planescape: Torment's uniqueness to Guido Henkel being producer on that project. His company G3 Studios is stuffed with people who worked on PT and Fallout2 before, it'S a pity that they are currently only looking into mobile gaming.

Best Written RPG, of course. However, I think BG2 trumps it, simply because everything about BG2 is at least great-to-awesome. Planescape has a few gameplay flaws that make it not as good as BG2.

BG2 rocks just for the combat, so does IWD for that matter. Been burning through chapter 2 of BG2 and its been a blast. Every time I start up BG2 I try to use spells I never used to use in different combinations to make things exciting. Also trying different party combinations and character kits rocks.

My assassin rul3z. Poisoned weapon also counts as a kill hit against trolls = roolage.

BG2 drives me nuts with its pulpiness. I can't figure out if it's poorly written or if it's just being faithful to D&D novels (eck). The voice acting isn't bad, but the script gets on my nerves. Planescape was awesome through-and-through as far as both voice acting and script.

BG2 is something I skip so much dialogue in cause its so damned camp. ART THOU AVAST blah blah blah.

And the response choices are usually so polarized there's little exciting to be said. However the fighting and running around and getting uber is nice. Cloudkill saved my ass last night, I rarely ever use that spell.

Buggy Loop

Btw, is there a D&D novel that ressemble Planescape torment? Maybe the game was even based on one? Would love to know :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Buggy Loop said:
Btw, is there a D&D novel that ressemble Planescape torment? Maybe the game was even based on one? Would love to know :)

There is a planescape torment novel that came out after the game, that as far as I know is a retelling of the game's plot. It was pretty thin though, which leads me to believe they did a shit job of it.

Top Bottom