• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Languages

I was wondering: How did the inclusion of enemies which mostly spoke the Spanish language affect your playing of Resident Evil 4? I know for me it made the game better, since I have been studying Spanish for a long time and it was cool to be able to understand everything that was being said.

The Spanish in RE4 isn't very complicated so most people could probably understand at least some of it. Still, I am curious about those who couldn't. Was it a worse experience because you couldn't understand what your enemies were yelling at you/their brethren?

Snaku

Banned
Don't know Spanish. The Ganados may aswell have been speaking Elvish, as it didn't effect my experience at all.

raYne

TheKingsCrown said:
Was it a worse experience because you couldn't understand what your enemies were yelling at you/their brethren?
Why would it be worse? If anything it'd be better since it'd creep you out more if you don't know what they're saying.

Don't know Spanish. The Ganados may aswell have been speaking Elvish, as it didn't effect my experience at all.

Right, but don't you think that it DID affect your experience then? I mean, if you knew what they were saying, you don't think it would have made the game better/worse? To you, did they just appear like savages?

Snaku

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Right, but don't you think that it DID affect your experience then? I mean, if you knew what they were saying, you don't think it would have made the game better/worse? To you, did they just appear like savages?

No, it was just a matter of hearing, "BLAH BLAH BLAH," and thinking, "Oh, they spotted me."

No, it was just a matter of hearing, "BLAH BLAH BLAH," and thinking, "Oh, they spotted me."

Okay. There is one phrase that some of the zombies say, I believe it is "muere muere muere" which just means die die die. That freaked me out when I first heard it as it immediately registered as to what it meant and they said it in a freaky voice. I don't know, maybe this is just me haha.

Osorio

Since I knew the Spanish it really helped me out when they were talking about how they were going to make me diced meat, and the most helpful is when their behind you they say "turn around imbecile".

cvxfreak

I don't know Spanish that well, but it was still pretty neat hearing them speak it. I think I would have been more freaked out if they spoke Arabic or something though.

Fëanor

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'm spanish and yes...those zombies have mexican accent. But I liked to use our old currency (pesetas) and some names like 'El Gigante' :)

You don't honestly believe that bullshit you just posted do you? You must be delusional.

Zer0

Banned
Fëanor said:
You don't honestly believe that bullshit you just posted do you? You must be delusional.

the villagers on re4 speak with mexican accent dude,i have spend a lot time on spain ( ibiza nights omg) and spaniards dont talk in that way

Well, I'm from Spain, and to me mexican accent sounds kind of funny so I can't honestly say it helped me to get in the mood for this game. It didn't really make the game better or worse to me as the rest of the characters still spoke in English like in all the previous RE games released in Spain (sad, I know).

If you know some Spanish maybe you would like to give the Pal-spanish version of the first MGS a try. I swear that Alfonso Vallés is the best Snake I've ever heard in any version of the game. He just makes a wonderful job portraying Snake as a down to earth man who just happens to be involved in all this mess of a mission. He is better than Akio Otsuka (second best) and sounds way more natural than Hayter. Awesome stuff.

Fëanor said:
Err... what?

What the... bitches!

Sagitario

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'm spanish and yes...those zombies have mexican accent. But I liked to use our old currency (pesetas) and some names like 'El Gigante' :)

I'm mexican and the accent they used is not mexican...

It was nice to hear the ganado talking in Spanish...
"Detrás de ti, cabrón"
"Te voy a coger"
"Mátalos"
"Vivir es morir, vivir es morir"

Kakusha

Aizu_Itsuko said:
If you know some Spanish maybe you would like to give the Pal-spanish version of the first MGS a try. I swear that Alfonso Vallés is the best Snake I've ever heard in any version of the game. He just makes a wonderful job portraying Snake as a down to earth man who just happens to be involved in all this mess of a mission. He is better than Akio Otsuka (second best) and sounds way more natural than Hayter. Awesome stuff.

Err... what?

What the... bitches!

Only the first MGS was dubbed in Spanish, right?
I'd like to try that out some day just for the voices. :D

Fëanor

Farore said:
I'm mexican and the accent they used is not mexican...

It was nice to hear the ganado talking in Spanish...
"Detrás de ti, cabrón"
"Te voy a coger"
"Mátalos"
"Vivir es morir, vivir es morir"

Glad I'm not alone, I just don't know where they get this idea of the Mexican accent.

Fëanor

Zer0 said:
the villagers on re4 speak with mexican accent dude,i have spend a lot time on spain ( ibiza nights omg) and spaniards dont talk in that way

Neither do people in Mexico and fuck with Spain.

Kakusha said:
Only the first MGS was dubbed in Spanish, right?
I'd like to try that out some day just for the voices. :D
Yep. They screwed us big time with the sequels. Not nice, people are still angry about it, but at least we got to play both games. I'd have loved playing MGS3 with Vallés as Snake. Oh, well.

Fëanor said:
Glad I'm not alone, I just don't know where they get this idea of the Mexican accent.
Then I'm lost; I can't place it at all.

It really sounds like mexican for a spaniard like me, but then again it's not like I'm an expert. Why does it make you so angry though? Nobody's saying it in an insulting way.

Kakusha

Aizu_Itsuko said:
Yep. They screwed us big time with the sequels. Not nice, people are still angry about it, but at least we got to play both games. I'd have loved playing MGS3 with Vallés as Snake. Oh, well.

Do they still sell it somewhere online? :D

Again, that accent ISNT from Spain at all. And some words they use like 'pendejo' arent used in Spain at all.

That accent and those expression are from Central and South America, for a spaniard like me they sound Mexican. If you say it isnt mexican, okay, I believe you, but tell me where is that accent coming from in your opinion...

Ah, this isnt insulting...fuck my country is so I'd like you to stop doing that Fëanor :)

SpiffyG

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Again, that accent ISNT from Spain at all. And some words they use like 'pendejo' arent used in Spain at all.

That accent and those expression are from Central and South America, for a spaniard like me they sound Mexican. If you say it isnt mexican, okay, I believe you, but tell me where is that accent coming from in your opinion...

Ah, this isnt insulting...fuck my country is so I'd like you to stop doing that Fëanor :)
Well, Spain has many different areas with many different types of accents.

Kakusha

My classmates from Guatemala used to say "pendejo".
One Mexican said it too. Actually, we all did use it one way or another after a while! :D

SpiffyG

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Sure, I have a very particular one too (andalusian) but I know the accents we have here...and no one resembles RE4 one :/
Well, the area in RE4 is a very secluded one... so maybe they have their own way of speaking? Yeah... let's say that. :lol

Fëanor

Kakusha said:
My classmates from Guatemala used to say "pendejo".
One Mexican said it too. Actually, we all did use it one way or another after a while! :D

Seriously, who doesn't say pendejo once in a while. :lol

MutFox

Banned
I did a bit of research about the accent thing. (My Spanish is Mexican Style.)
It seems like the accent is from "Columbia" since they use that "Cojelo" word. (Spelling?)
If you used that in Mexican style spanish it's a different context from what it's being used in the game.
Supposedly that word is used more in Columbia in the context the game uses it.

I'll do some more research.

Kakusha said:
Do they still sell it somewhere online? :D
You can try here.

Centromail has it cheaper, but I don't think they ship anywhere outside of Spain. Centromail screwed up the game info. It says that voices are in English, but they're not.

In both sites, it's the original game not the platinum edition (I hate those platinum covers).

Fëanor said:

Not real mexican, but they sound like americanised mexicans. Not chicanos, but richer ones.

Of course you could replace Mexico with Belize and get the same thing.

Cabron is used extensivly in Mexico.

Let me tell you where the accents are NOT from:

Spain
Argentina
Uruguay
Chile
Paraguay

Didnt sound Venezuelan either, but I havent been there for years, so I wouldnt know.

Kakusha

Aizu_Itsuko said:
You can try here.

Centromail has it cheaper, but I don't think they ship anywhere outside of Spain. Centromail screwed up the game info. It says that voices are in English, but they're not.

In both sites, it's the original game not the platinum edition (I hate those platinum covers).

Ah! Well, covers can be replaced. :D
Looks like they only ship within Spain though.
Checked ebay.es too, same thing.

Boogie9IGN

I can vouch for it not being Cuban.

But damn, I was scared moreso because I understood. Especially when one would yell 'BEHIND YOU, IMBECILE', I'd whip Leon around so fast my controller would almost fly out of my hands. And walking around a castle full of monks chanting 'To die is to live' isn't very easy to ignore

D-X

Well as an English speaker, when they started saying "Lord Saddler" it freaked me out a bit. Just what is the translation of what sounds like "Ar Gai!" when the villagers aren't aware of Leon's presence and what it it with the women that sound like cats when they attack?

Kakusha

Well, in other languages, when it comes to video games or cartoons, some tend to exaggerate the voices a bit.
Like we wouldn't usually hear normal people talk like that. :D

Top Bottom