• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn’s Vince Zampella Set to Lead DICE Studio in Los Angeles

Mista

Banned
YWONVY90-Vince-Zampella-Cover.medium.jpg

Respawn Entertainment co-founder Vince Zampella seems to have received a promotion of sorts within EA’s larger studio structure.

In a report from the Los Angeles Times today, it was announced that Zampella is now set to lead DICE LA, which is the Los Angeles based division of the studio known for working on franchises such as Battlefield and Star Wars Battlefront. DICE LA, in the past, has largely served as a studio that aids the main team in Stockholm with its larger projects. Now, under Zampella, the developer is said to begin working on its own games. As of now, information on what the studio’s first title could be hasn’t been divulged.

As part of this move, Zampella has stated that DICE LA will likely rebrand in the future, to more distinctly set the studio apart from DICE proper. “We want to give it a new image. We want people to say, ‘This is a destination you can go and make new content.’ I think they’ve kind of gotten the branding that they are the support studio for DICE Stockholm,” Zampella said. “I think rebranding is important for showing people, ‘Hey! Come work here. We’re going to do some amazing things.’”

However, just because Zampella will now be heading up DICE LA doesn’t mean his work at Respawn is over. Zampella clarified that he will still play a major role in helping to run Respawn, but now that the studio has a more stable infrastructure, his day-to-day work at the company has diminished a bit. Currently, Stig Asmussen (Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order), Chad Grenier (Apex Legends), and Peter Hirschmann (Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond) lead different teams within Respawn and will continue to do so moving forward.

Last edited:
He deserves it. As much as I dislike FPS shooter, online multiplayer and battle-royales, I enjoy the shit out of Apex.

Sometimes I forget that it's a FTP game.

Well done, dude.

manfestival

Oh no... More feminism and diversity in BF games...
??????

Anyways, I think this is great news. At this point, Vince is probably one of the few names in the industry that I completely trust to create a great product that isn't jamming nonsense down our throats. He may be able to tick all of the SJW check marks and please the actual fan base at the same time.

??????

Anyways, I think this is great news. At this point, Vince is probably one of the few names in the industry that I completely trust to create a great product that isn't jamming nonsense down our throats. He may be able to tick all of the SJW check marks and please the actual fan base at the same time.
Have you played Apex Legends ? One of the most woke game i ever played... Can't wait to see solo gameplay with trans soldier and lesbian general... x)

YWONVY90-Vince-Zampella-Cover.medium.jpg

Respawn Entertainment co-founder Vince Zampella seems to have received a promotion of sorts within EA’s larger studio structure.

In a report from the Los Angeles Times today, it was announced that Zampella is now set to lead DICE LA, which is the Los Angeles based division of the studio known for working on franchises such as Battlefield and Star Wars Battlefront. DICE LA, in the past, has largely served as a studio that aids the main team in Stockholm with its larger projects. Now, under Zampella, the developer is said to begin working on its own games. As of now, information on what the studio’s first title could be hasn’t been divulged.

As part of this move, Zampella has stated that DICE LA will likely rebrand in the future, to more distinctly set the studio apart from DICE proper. “We want to give it a new image. We want people to say, ‘This is a destination you can go and make new content.’ I think they’ve kind of gotten the branding that they are the support studio for DICE Stockholm,” Zampella said. “I think rebranding is important for showing people, ‘Hey! Come work here. We’re going to do some amazing things.’”

However, just because Zampella will now be heading up DICE LA doesn’t mean his work at Respawn is over. Zampella clarified that he will still play a major role in helping to run Respawn, but now that the studio has a more stable infrastructure, his day-to-day work at the company has diminished a bit. Currently, Stig Asmussen (Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order), Chad Grenier (Apex Legends), and Peter Hirschmann (Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond) lead different teams within Respawn and will continue to do so moving forward.
Great! Give the other respawn leaders a bigger role, they do great work and love to see them expand.

manfestival

Have you played Apex Legends ? One of the most woke game i ever played... Can't wait to see solo gameplay with trans soldier and lesbian general... x)
Origin says I have 179 hours of Apex Legends. The nature of a game like this that is specific hero/champion/legend focused is that you can diversify easily. You get the same exact experience from Overwatch, League of Legends, Dota 2, and etc. Nobody actually cares unless the devs going out of their way to shove it in the fanbases faces.

Hopefully Battlefront III will shine with new direction. BF II was complete ass with their Microtrash infestation and awkward star card system they implemented which turned me off the game in the first 3 days of launch and gave it away to a family member. Took them awhile to fix their mistakes and BF2 is at a much better state right now

Hopefully Battlefront III will shine with new direction. BF II was complete ass with their Microtrash infestation and awkward star card system they implemented which turned me off the game in the first 3 days of launch and gave it away to a family member. Took them awhile to fix their mistakes and BF2 is at a much better state right now
For sure, next battlefield will are a game to buy 60$+ battle pass like apex.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What's the matter son? Don't wanna play a character who takes it in the ass when it's not like the most armies don't have dudes who love to get smashed by boys too. 😘😘

Their announcement of diversity shilling was kinda bad, but working it intricately around them with the lore of a Hero BR is handled much better.

Also Respawn has a lot of fucking problems in their games but at least they are ambitious and doing the right thing mostly. When was DICE's last fire game?

Woo-Fu

Banned
He's definitely correct about DICE LA needing a rebranding, and not just for the reasons stated in the interview. Hopefull this a good move for everybody and not what my cynical side might view as a move to remove a roadblock for EA's insidious plans at Respawn. :)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know people like Titanfall 2 but that campaign is a bit overrated... I don't think it would be as well received if everyone was not starved for single player fps game. But that don't matter - they will not make single player game anymore lol

Vince and his team at Respawn have achieved the impossible, deliver not one, not two but 4 major AAA games that were huge hit among critics and avid gamers. Giving Vince this power to help reband Dice LA only bodes well for EA's overall image. This could signal EA's resurgence back to single player games, good games in general with no egregious practices.

GenericUser

I value Mr. Zampellas work and think he is a very talented person. Good for Dice LA, to get him.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I know people like Titanfall 2 but that campaign is a bit overrated... I don't think it would be as well received if everyone was not starved for single player fps game. But that don't matter - they will not make single player game anymore lol
I don’t see how it’s overrated. Unless a deserved praise is considered overrated in your book then that’s something else

Boss Mog

NOOOOOOOOO!

They want him to do Battlefield now....RIP titanfall.
Titanfall 3 will almost certainly happen on next gen, Apex Legends is cementing that as we speak. BF needs way more help than TF so it's probably a smart move by EA to put a guy who makes the best FPS games in charge of their faltering main FPS franchise, not that I know for sure that DICE LA will take over from Sweden for the next BF, but here's hoping anyway.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Titanfall 3 will almost certainly happen on next gen, Apex Legends is cementing that as we speak. BF needs way more help than TF so it's probably a smart move by EA to put a guy who makes the best FPS games in charge of their faltering main FPS franchise, not that I know for sure that DICE LA will take over from Sweden for the next BF, but here's hoping anyway.

problem is that bf is shit, i dont care for it. and titanfall without vince is not the same thing. this is bad news for gamers.

DICE LA are legends! They fixed BF4 like it was nothing and put in extra effort to help bring back a few community maps too.

DICE Sweden, Fuck knows what's happening over there. They have some good artists and sounds engineers and did have some smart folks behind the Frostbite software but they have moved on. Management seems lacking.

HoodWinked

EA reflected back on the hard times it had faced looking at the footprints in the sand and noticing only one set of footprints they/them asked where were you Respawn? Respawn chuckled only to reply in those times of trouble it was I that was carrying you EA.

Blond

Banned

So what would you replace the characters with? Don't get me wrong, but the end result of this argument 99.9% of the time is "The characters aren't all white and straight!"

problem is that bf is shit, i dont care for it. and titanfall without vince is not the same thing. this is bad news for gamers.

TF 2 was already showing bad changes with Vince, so I don't know exactly where you're coming from. I predigested several times in Titanfall, I barely leveled 12 times in TF2 because of all the changes to the gameplay and I'm not the only one.

zcaa0g

Banned

Or maybe because each level was unique and the campaign never felt repetitive. Yeah, that's actually why.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Or maybe because each level was unique and the campaign never felt repetitive. Yeah, that's actually why.
I don't see that... It felt like a generic shooter with few cool twist levels. Story or characters never did it to me. It's a singularity level game but singularity was better. It's just better than most of the shit we get nowadays but it's a low standard...

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
DICE LA is a studio I have thought would get their own game for a long time. Many of you might not remember this but they were the studio that fixed Battlefield 4.

I have a feeling they will be doing a Star Wars game, given that they have been working on BF2 for so long and are familiar.

Top Bottom