• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RetroTINK-5X Pro goes live Saturday May 1st, 9AM PST

Naked Lunch

Also new TINK 5X firmware 1.55 out with 444 chroma sampling and the interesting LCD (gameboy screen-like) effect scanlines.

MC68000

I received mine today. Awesome product. I highly recommend getting one. Well worth the money if you have some retro systems you want to play.

Naked Lunch

I highly recommend using the LCD scanlines for anyone running a GBA Player thru the Gamecube. Looks incredible!
Looks like many more scanlines are incoming too.

AVknVFE.jpg

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo and Clutch Titan Clutch Titan it seems the cables from both castlemania and retroAccess we posted about before summer are finally shipped/shipping!
Did yall get your setups up and running yet?

Im still loving the TINK 5x. After countless sessions of fiddling with the ossc - thats all a distant memory.
Ive become a fan of the TINK 5x optimal timings on many games now - and also scanlines for certain ones too. Just so many options now.
Looks like theres even more interesting 5X firmware updates on the way.

Last edited:
Naked Lunch Naked Lunch Ahhh, funny you mention that! So I've been REALLY busy both at work and personally this summer (for good reasons) which is why my GAF posting and my video game playing have both gone down quite a bit. But...

.... I did order several cables both from Castlemania and Retro Access, and all except one cable (PS2 component cables) have arrived! And yes, that includes my previously coveted/desired Dreamcast RGB cable, which honestly I can't wait to try!

Even though I'm not gaming as much this summer (but that should change once the fall gets here), I still get in a few quick retro sessions a week. And that means my RetroTINK gets decent amount of use. And it's still really really awesome. I think I'm caught up with all the firmware updates so far...

My Framemeister and OSSC have practically been retired.

Naked Lunch

.... I did order several cables both from Castlemania and Retro Access, and all except one cable (PS2 component cables) have arrived! And yes, that includes my previously coveted/desired Dreamcast RGB cable, which honestly I can't wait to try!
Very cool. I got most of my cables too - been a long wait but worth it. Did you end up getting a scart switch?
Interested to hear what you think of that DC cable - pretty sure it should have a switch built into it to play different types of games otherwise unplayble via something like VGA cable. A game like Bangai-O or JoJos Bizarre Adventure for example.

Very cool. I got most of my cables too - been a long wait but worth it. Did you end up getting a scart switch?
Interested to hear what you think of that DC cable - pretty sure it should have a switch built into it to play different types of games otherwise unplayble via something like VGA cable. A game like Bangai-O or JoJos Bizarre Adventure for example.
Yup! I ordered a SCART Switch from Castlemania. Not even sure when it's going to ship, to be honest.

Castlemania was fulfilling orders on behalf of the one dude that makes those really high end expensive SCART switches; when y'all (in this very thread!) first told me about it, the dude was still taking orders via his website. But I think somebody tried to deceive him, so he stopped taking orders directly and is using Castlemania as a middleman.

Anyway, the SCART switch is the last thing I want for a full setup, and the last piece of hardware for this kind of retro stuff I'm gonna get. Everything else is in place. And, at least for the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom, my collection of games is pretty close to what I want it to be. Same for the Saturn. I'll get a few more games for the PS2 and Wii, but now it's time to sit back and... actually play the games :messenger_winking_tongue: (y)

EDIT: Of course I'll report back on the Dreamcast cable. And yes it is one with a switch to flip between 15Khz and 31Khz (I'm not sure what all that means to be honest.) The Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game -- are you talking about the fighting game made by Capcom? Because I actually own that one (a Japanese import, if that matters...)

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

The update fixes some of the cropping which has been slightly messed up in recent updates.
But now, 1080p over seems to push the picture to the right on most consoles and on genesis in particular way to the right. Is anyone else noticing this? Hopefully this is fixed.

I tested the smoothing setting and it does look good for certain N64 games - pretty impressive.
The optimal timings per console also look good for certain games and not for others.
The TINK 5X has turned into a 'tweak settings on a per game' device when it was more plug and play on day one. Still, crazy to have all the in-depth options now.

The optimal timings per console also look good for certain games and not for others.
The TINK 5X has turned into a 'tweak settings on a per game' device when it was more plug and play on day one. Still, crazy to have all the in-depth options now.
I don't know how I feel about that. I bought into the RetroTINK 5X hype precisely because it was supposed to be a more "out of the box" experience, and not a tweak machine; I mean, I already have an OSSC if I want an upscaler that I spend a lot of time tweaking settings for.

I'm not trying to deflate from the hype but I must admit that the current trajectory is ever so slightly disappointing.

Regardless, I proudly own a Framemeister, an OSSC, and a RetroTINK 5X. So I'm obviously a very firm believer in upscalers. I honestly don't even care for a CRT at this point.

Max_Po

Banned
I don't know how I feel about that. I bought into the RetroTINK 5X hype precisely because it was supposed to be a more "out of the box" experience, and not a tweak machine; I mean, I already have an OSSC if I want an upscaler that I spend a lot of time tweaking settings for.

I'm not trying to deflate from the hype but I must admit that the current trajectory is ever so slightly disappointing.

Regardless, I proudly own a Framemeister, an OSSC, and a RetroTINK 5X. So I'm obviously a very firm believer in upscalers. I honestly don't even care for a CRT at this point.

How is the 480i content upscaled with RetroTink ?

I have OSSC and Framemeister... still I wish there was more that can be done to ps2 480i

I have OSSC and Framemeister... still I wish there was more that can be done to ps2 480i
Unfortunately, can't tell you quite yet.... I only got my PS2 component cables recently, and haven't tried them out yet.

Is 480i on PS2 a global setting, or does a particular game have to support it? If the latter, I don't even think I own any 480i-compatible games....

Naked Lunch

Yeah its definitely different from plug and play launch - but its no where close to dialing in huge numbers in all kinds of different menus and settings for the ossc. The 5X still has that basic cycle thru selection too - more simplistic.

When I step away from retro gaming for a while, I tend to forget how to do this stuff - or what some of the settings even mean!
I typed up a bit of a mini manual to help myself refresh my memory.

Not sure how much youve tinkered with the new 5X firmware additions but theres now:
(exerts from my mini-manual :messenger_grinning: )
-Preemptive Filter: from -3 to +3 which could result in different sharpness for each console.
-Interpolation Filter: Sharp/Soft/Smooth -the latter best used for certain N64 or PS2 games to remove jaggies.
-Low Pass Filter: depending on how noisy your console is - cleans up image.
-Tons of unique scanlines options: In the past I never used scanlines - I actually like some of the ones here for certain stuff.
-Optimal Timings per console - a big improvement over ossc because all you do here is select which console youre using and it does it for you.
-And of course the 1080p regular or 1080p overscan or 4k options.

Kinda alot of stuff to mess with.

Is 480i on PS2 a global setting, or does a particular game have to support it? If the latter, I don't even think I own any 480i-compatible games....
Pretty sure almost all games run at 480i for PS2 from my knowledge. Theres just a handful than run at 480p or higher - but even for those you have to do a button combination of some sort during bootup to get 480p to load.

From what I understand - the 5X is currently the best handler of 480i because it uses that new Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing tech. Its PS2 upscaling is one of the bigger draws of the device.

I can tell you from my experience - on the OSSC, PS2 games were very tough to play because of the jittery 480i image - it hurt my eyes even after a short amount of playtime. OSSC uses Bob Deinterlacing which is pretty nasty. When using the TINK5X Motion Adaptive setting - that jitter is completely gone. I recently played thru Silent Hill 3 and Ace Combat 4 from start to finish and they looked amazing and my eyes werent strained at all.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

This thing is basically being turned into a brand new product with the upcoming fw update. Crazy.

Insane that you can shift and/or zoom the image in any and all directions now.
My last remaining beef was some consoles' picture was pushed too far to the right - now you can move it manually and a billion other additions.
Quite the investment getting all these extra features for free well past release.

Thanks stranno stranno for the updates. Hopefully InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo and Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser are following this.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This thing is basically being turned into a brand new product with the upcoming fw update. Crazy.

Insane that you can shift and/or zoom the image in any and all directions now.
My last remaining beef was some consoles' picture was pushed too far to the right - now you can move it manually and a billion other additions.
Quite the investment getting all these extra features for free well past release.

Thanks stranno stranno for the updates. Hopefully InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo and Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser are following this.

Just seeing this now (thanks for the heads up - wouldn't have known otherwise). Haven't seen the full list of features yet or had a chance to update myself since I just got back in town, but it looks like there's just a ton of stuff here. Kinda hoping it introduces an image rotate option like the OSSC Pro will have, but... not holding my breath.

Still, I did just buy a bunch of new Saturn and Dreamcast games and my Dreamcast SCART cable is finally ordered from Retro-Access, so I'm probably going to be getting a lot of mileage out of this latest update in the not-too-distant future.

Naked Lunch

Just seeing this now (thanks for the heads up - wouldn't have known otherwise). Haven't seen the full list of features yet or had a chance to update myself since I just got back in town, but it looks like there's just a ton of stuff here. Kinda hoping it introduces an image rotate option like the OSSC Pro will have, but... not holding my breath.

Still, I did just buy a bunch of new Saturn and Dreamcast games and my Dreamcast SCART cable is finally ordered from Retro-Access, so I'm probably going to be getting a lot of mileage out of this latest update in the not-too-distant future.
Yeah I think I saw the rt5X will not have rotation. What would you use that for if I might ask? Flipping a game like an NES shmup to TATE mode or something?

Basically this new update allows the user to tweak and move pretty much everything rather than having presets. It also has profile saving which is huge. I have pretty much all my consoles dialed in and saved to a profile.
NES composite is 100% fixed and looking incredible at 1080p - and the screen shift to the right I talked about this whole thread is adjustable now. Actually now you can move the masking and cropping around - and that alone fixes pretty much all my consoles' display. I even have an entire rt5x profile dedicated just to F-Zero GX - scaling it perfectly to all its widescreen 16:9 glory.

Im not even sure what else could be added - and if updating to a new firmware deletes the saved profiles - I doubt ill even update it again.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Had mine a few weeks now and i thoroughly put it through it's paces with my japanese PS1, i have a lot of rhythm games & others that are sensitive to lag and use multiple resolutions between screens. It's handled them amazing not a single signal drop between screens and the lag is so low that even stuff with ultra strict timing like parappa, DDR & bust a groove have all played just like they were supposed to which is something i can't say when using a framemeister which rendered them unplayable as the timing was so off. It was worth the price just to have my PS1 back to been able to be played on my plasma without all the problems of modern displays, i have played more PS1 in the last few weeks than i have done in quite a while.

Even if Mike doesn't release any more firmware updates it's now at a point where i'm more than happy with what i have, picture looks fantastic & it's ligtning fast in response times so everything plays like it should.

Clutch Titan

Neo Member
Wow it's crazy how much keeps getting added. I love that all these options exist but also you could just set it to 1080P fill/over and be covered on pretty much every console if you wanted to. I am curious what are people's favorite scanline options? Obviously depends on the console, but I just bought an NES for the first time and i feel like scanlines are a must with the composite. I think i like the aperture grille better than the pvm options. I am curious on if quality of cables even matters for the NES since it's all composite. The seller described the cable included as a 3rd party one on its last legs but i dont even know where to look to get a better one. All of the usual suspects (HD retrovision, Insurrection Indesstried, retro gaming cables, etc) dont sell any composite. Dont know if an ebay one would be worth it.

Also Naked Lunch Naked Lunch I would be very interested in seeing your F Zero GX profile if it is not too much trouble. GX is one of the main reasons i bought the 5x and am glad to see another enthusiast.

Naked Lunch

New Firmware update!
I thought the one released this past December was going to be the final one.
Adds the 4K scaling experimental settings.
Optimal Timing options for Composite and Svideo are the big ones for me.

A year in of using the rt5x and it exceeded all expectations. Ill never need another upscaler again.
I know Mike Chi is working on a 4K version next - I dont have much interest in that personally but still awesome seeing the retro projects evolve.

Edit [Addition]:
Did a quick test of the N64 320 optimal timing for my un-modded N64 using S-Video and it DOES provide a much cleaner, sharper output over just generic 4:3 timing. Very happy with that addition.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser Clutch Titan Clutch Titan Not sure if you keep up with all the ins and outs of the RetroTINK, but Retro-Access just announced a new cable addressing the 'backwards scart' input on the TINK 5x to connect to a scart switchbox. I know some - me included, have some issues cleanly putting the 5x into their setups because of that damn backwards port.

Basically Retro-Access designed a backwards scart cable specifically for the TINK 5X so it will face the correct way. Pretty much the only place on the planet to order it from. Talk about niche nerd shit, heh.

Last edited:
InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser Clutch Titan Clutch Titan Not sure if you keep up with all the ins and outs of the RetroTINK, but Retro-Access just announced a new cable addressing the 'backwards scart' input on the TINK 5x to connect to a scart switchbox. I know some - me included, have some issues cleanly putting the 5x into their setups because of that damn backwards port.

Basically Retro-Access designed a backwards scart cable specifically for the TINK 5X so it will face the correct way. Pretty much the only place on the planet to order it from. Talk about niche nerd shit, heh.

Huh, no, I haven't had any issues; granted, I haven't been using my SCART switch box all that much, since I've only had one retro console plugged in these days.

Will take a look though, thanks for the heads up.

Sakura

Really wanna get one when I have the money. Tried playing some PS1 games recently and they looked like ass.

Naked Lunch

New, possibly final, firmware update released for the RT5X, bringing it to version 3.0.
Somehow Mike Chi reduced input lag even further in each buffer mode and it now displays the latency numbers in the status screen.
Other big additions are the naming of saved profiles, the porting of some features from the upcoming RetroTINK 4K product, and the additions of downscaling to 240p or 480i.

My consoles are all registering 2-3ms of latency on the rt5x menu, not counting monitor numbers - from what I understand anything under 15-20ms is un-noticible.

Since the I got the rt5X a couple years back, I revisited so many classics that were previously just sitting in my storage collecting dust. From NES Dragon Quests, to TurboGrafx Devil's Crush, to Bangai-O Dreamcast - been a blast rediscovering this stuff on OG hardware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom