• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reuters] Sony facing $7.9 bln mass lawsuit over PlayStation Store prices

Z O N E

Lol when everyone gets their $2.78 dollars back from Sony I hope they are happy they wasted all this time and money

Not a waste. One big reason why is because of this:

Digital games for use on the PlayStation can only be sold and purchased through the PlayStation Store.

Go on CDKeys and select PSN games from the list and you will get 173 results.
Select Xbox games and you will see 3801 results.

Some examples that I looked up that don't have PSN digital codes:

Elden Ring (and the DLC)
Yakuza
Persona
Hogwarts
GTA
Tekken

I can buy those games on CDKeys for Steam and Xbox (some Nintendo) but I can't buy those keys for Playstation because Playstation WANTS me to only purchase from their store.

StueyDuck

Elden Ring (and the DLC)
Yakuza
Persona
Hogwarts
GTA
Tekken

I can buy those games on CDKeys for Steam and Xbox (some Nintendo) but I can't buy those keys for Playstation because Playstation WANTS me to only purchase from their store.
This case will never end that way. It will be settled out of court at best if it's not thrown out all together and they will end up paying all psn users who opt in a small fee.

These cases happen all the time, as others have shown before in this thread. This isn't going to result in extreme major haul of all digital platforms like you may think. It's not the same as epic vs apple

Z O N E

This case will never end that way. It will be settled out of court at best if it's not thrown out all together and they will end up paying all psn users who opt in a small fee.

These cases happen all the time, as others have shown before in this thread. This isn't going to result in extreme major haul of all digital platforms like you may think. It's not the same as epic vs apple

If there's even a SMALL chance, I'll take it because it's absolutely ridiculous that the platform whose at the top can just say "you can only sell your digital games in OUR store and not sell digital cards".

StueyDuck

If there's even a SMALL chance, I'll take it because it's absolutely ridiculous that the platform whose at the top can just say "you can only sell your digital games in OUR store and not sell digital cards".
It's not really ridiculous though. It's just not consumer friendly.

And that's where this will fall apart like most these cases do.

Z O N E

It's not really ridiculous though. It's just not consumer friendly.

And that's where this will fall apart like most these cases do.

That's why it is ridiculous though.

We are at the end of the day consumers. Business wise, I don't care, all I care about is if it's consumer friendly and in this situation it's not. Also, although there is a high chance it falls apart, if the CMA even takes a glance at it and thinks "Hey, they MIGHT have something here", I'll take it because CHOICES are what consumers should have.

I shouldn't have to be tied down to just buying from PSN for my digital needs. Especially since I can buy more digital versions of games on the Switch than PS and that's saying something considering Nintendo's business decisions. Lol

StueyDuck

That's why it is ridiculous though.

We are at the end of the day consumers. Business wise, I don't care, all I care about is if it's consumer friendly and in this situation it's not. Also, although there is a high chance it falls apart, if the CMA even takes a glance at it and thinks "Hey, they MIGHT have something here", I'll take it because CHOICES are what consumers should have.

I shouldn't have to be tied down to just buying from PSN for my digital needs. Especially since I can buy more digital versions of games on the Switch than PS and that's saying something considering Nintendo's business decisions. Lol
Yes but this a legal matter.

My feelings won't change anything and neither will your or anyone's.

We can talk all day about the perfect example of how games are bought, distributed, made, produced so on and so forth but it doesn't mean anything in regards to this thread.

Kerotan

CD keys is basically a money laundering scheme.

Z O N E

Yes but this a legal matter.

My feelings won't change anything and neither will your or anyone's.

We can talk all day about the perfect example of how games are bought, distributed, made, produced so on and so forth but it doesn't mean anything in regards to this thread.

That's why if the CMA takes a whiff at this and realises that they might have something, then it could change.

The argument is in the legal documents, so if CMA looks at it and sees that Playstation, who are the industry leaders DOESN'T allow publishers to sell digital keys to their games OUTSIDE of PSN and are forced to only sell on PSN when comparing to their competitors, they might be inclined to say something.

That's why I will take that small tiny chance of hope that they look at it carefully.

StueyDuck

That's why if the CMA takes a whiff at this and realises that they might have something, then it could change.

The argument is in the legal documents, so if CMA looks at it and sees that Playstation, who are the industry leaders DOESN'T allow publishers to sell digital keys to their games OUTSIDE of PSN and are forced to only sell on PSN when comparing to their competitors, they might be inclined to say something.

That's why I will take that small tiny chance of hope that they look at it carefully.
We'll see. But I wouldn't get my hopes to high if I was you.

Again I see this being settled if anything before it becomes anything bigger

In other words, let the process play out instead of, as you suggested, Leave Sony Alone

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Still confident this has precisely zero chance of getting anywhere.

Its quite literally a suit that stands to destroy the closed platform model for everybody. No exceptions.

K' Dash

Naw, Microsoft did that to themselves. Don't blame us for that lmao!

Thats true, but I'm talking about wanting Sony to not have competition. Honestly I don't care, I don't have time to play shit anymore and have the disposable income to buy the few games I play every year. I want to see people react to a $1K console with $120 games + Season Passes and MTX.

StueyDuck

I'm not the one hoping for a company to go scott-free under the guise of "it'll take up too much money to prosecute them".
I'm not hoping for anything... I have nothing to gain or lose. If you don't want to know anything that's happened historically then good for you.

Again this isn't the playground, I'm sorry you only see someone as a fanboy if they don't fall completely in line with your specific thought process.

MarkMe2525

Elden Ring (and the DLC)
Yakuza
Persona
Hogwarts
GTA
Tekken

I feel like this is being missed and most people are assuming the lawsuit is about Sony's commission or Sony not allowing other platforms software to be played on their system.

Yoboman

I feel like this is being missed and most people are assuming the lawsuit is about Sony's commission or Sony not allowing other platforms software to be played on their system.
Because that is what the lawsuit is about, not using CD Keys

CD Keys is cheap because it takes advantage of exchange rates and you're often buying a region locked key without knowing it, not because Sony or Microsoft's royalty magically disappears

Z O N E

CD Keys is cheap because it takes advantage of exchange rates and you're often buying a region locked key without knowing it, not because Sony or Microsoft's royalty magically disappears

You're missing the point too. I used CDKeys as an example, if you want you can replace them with any other site.

The point is you can buy these keys even at legit sites if you really want to. PSN digital codes? Other than a few 1st party titles, Sony doesn't allow digital keys to be sold by 3rd parties.

MarkMe2525

No one is claiming that the commission is magically disappearing (someone paid MS or Sony for those keys at some point) and the assertion is also missing the point. It's about the lack of options. Sony is the frontrunner and happens to be particularly strict on this point, which makes them a prime target. It is not strictly about Sony making 30%, when i read it I perceive it to be about Sony funneling all the digital transactions to their storefront.

Last edited:

Neofire

I agree some PSN store regions are overpriced but what happened to the people saying that Sony wasn't make enough money and thats why the layoffs are so rampant 👀. That 30% goes to the developers, that's a good thing right? Lol

Yoboman

You're missing the point too. I used CDKeys as an example, if you want you can replace them with any other site.

The point is you can buy these keys even at legit sites if you really want to. PSN digital codes? Other than a few 1st party titles, Sony doesn't allow digital keys to be sold by 3rd parties.
And that's not what the lawsuit is about

DrFigs

Not that this is what the lawsuit is about; but can i buy apple and android apps on cdkeys? why is sony the standout here? or for that matter, can i buy apple movies from amazon's website? this seems like total nonsense to me.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not that this is what the lawsuit is about; but can i buy apple and android apps on cdkeys? why is sony the standout here? or for that matter, can i buy apple movies from amazon's website? this seems like total nonsense to me.

Android and (soon) Apple allow 3rd party app store side-loading, so you can buy apple/android apps on those alternate stores

reinking

Gold Member
Thats true, but I'm talking about wanting Sony to not have competition. Honestly I don't care, I don't have time to play shit anymore and have the disposable income to buy the few games I play every year. I want to see people react to a $1K console with $120 games + Season Passes and MTX.
As If Eye Roll GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom