• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Student accused in Washington school shooting blamed 'bullying'

gnomed

Gun Culture has the same types of crazies that free speech has lately. Oh no we don't want to limit and stop Nazi because it could be a slippery slope.
Its the same thing with mental health and guns etc. They are more concerned with ensuring gun access than caring about the people who need help and should not have access to guns. Common sense restrictions are somehow a slope to destruction supposedly.

Had a friend who should have been blocked from ever putting a gun in her hands after the run of issues she had. Instead there was nothing to prevent it and in the end she got one and used it on herself.
Sorry about your friend.

But yeah the slippery slope, false equivalency shit is really fucking stupid and poisoning thought. Common sense and decency gets marginalized with apathy. Many regurgitate the same snowflake bullshit talking point and we're still stuck not finding any solution.

Don't get me started on the idiots that suggest "within nature of man" to cause violence psuedo science fudd.

Zen Aku

Whatever happens to keeping minor identity a secret to protect them whenever a child is involve? Usually cases like this, the victim and the 3 girls who were injured would not be named.

Also, dumbass father of the year right there. Bet he feel great buying his mentally trouble son a gun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bullies don't tend to bully on kids that look like they could kick their ass.

And they might get in trouble for it. It's not unexpected for a school administration to side with the aggressor even if they're the victim of bullying.

Bullying is just not taken seriously enough in our system/culture.

tkscz

Knezovich declined to discuss what detectives believed motivated the shooting, but cited mental health issues and suggested Sharpe may have been influenced by violence on television and in video games.

Yes, I know the full quote from the cop is that the kid had mental issues and may have been easily influenced by video games, but there are studies showing that even with mental illness, violent media tends not to make people violent, that usually, they were already like that.

Also, the hell is with GAF right now and not realizing how bad bullying is? The father was stupid to give his kid that type of access to a gun, but he assumed his son was responsible and probably for good reason (though changing the safe code after receiving a suicide note would've probably been for the best). The kid was bullied, which could be why he was suicidal. We have no idea how long the kid was being bullied, only for the victim (the bully) to say "I always knew you'd shoot up the school." No one deserved to be harmed or killed, but for fuck's sake can we do something about bullying? How many more school shootings have to happen before something is done about it?

Yes, I know the full quote from the cop is that the kid had mental issues and may have been easily influenced by video games, but there are studies showing that even with mental illness, violent media tends not to make people violent, that usually, they were already like that.

Also, the hell is with GAF right now and not realizing how bad bullying is? The father was stupid to give his kid that type of access to a gun, but he assumed his son was responsible and probably for good reason (though changing the safe code after receiving a suicide note would've probably been for the best). The kid was bullied, which could be why he was suicidal. We have no idea how long the kid was being bullied, only for the victim (the bully) to say "I always knew you'd shoot up the school." No one deserved to be harmed or killed, but for fuck's sake can we do something about bullying? How many more school shootings have to happen before something is done about it?

What exactly can be done about bullying, kids are fucking assholes and we just pray they grow up to be less fucking assholes. Bullies don't care about being educated about how bullying is bad, and when one kid "snitches" on these bullies they will get it even worse.

RS4-

Bullying is a cute word to trivialize what's ultimately physical and verbal abuse.

Oh yeah for sure. I didn't mean to downplay what people go through at schools, the work place, etc. Bullying, sexual assault.

School administration just downplay or ignore the issues for the most part.

They'll keep the scum and victims in the same class, parents or cops (lol) aren't notified. They try to do things in house and it just gets worse and worse for those suffering.

fucked up..

man, i wish i could find a translation of an interview with a Finnish person who planned a mass shooting but backed out and seeked medical treatment instead because he realized how sick he was.

he was really quite eloquent and brutally honest in describing how he ended up feeling that way, just wanting to kill everyone.. he was bullied for years and years, basically every day of school was hell. and he remembered the moment he couldnt take it anymore, when he was down and a bully was jumping on his ribcage, he just lost sense of himself and became seriously dissassociative, not being able to direct his anger towards just the bullies anymore, his rage expanded to include everyone, because he felt no one had ever tried to seriously help him.. so just fuck the whole world.

it's sad stuff.. and a pattern that repeats with many mass killers (i suspect some terrorists too).

Top Bottom