• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rev Nunchaku Controller = 100% Compatible With NES ... and N64?

I thought about this ... the Rev controller should be able to play every single Nintendo N64 title without even a classic controller shell, unless I'm missing something ...

N64 Vs. Rev

Analog = Analog
C-buttons = D-Pad
B + A = B + A
L/R or R/Z or L/Z = Z1 + Z2 ... remember you can't use L + R + Z at once on the N64 pad
Start = Start

Unless I'm wrong, every game Nintendo published during the N64 era should work with that layout without a hitch. Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, Wave Race 64, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, even GoldenEye if they could work out a deal with EA.

The only game I can think of on the N64 that wouldn't work would be Killer Instinct Gold, but Nintendo doesn't have the rights to that game any more anyway.

Basically any game on the N64 which used the analog stick is compatible with the Rev Nunchaku controller.

Can anyone think of any other Nintendo-published N64 games that wouldn't work?

Suburban Cowboy said:
well actually smash bros used both shoulder buttons and the trigger but they could relocate taunt (L) to X, Y, or select.

Yup, forgot about that. Would be easy to relocate to X or Y though. Kinda weird how this all worked out ... I would've thought N64 would've been the tougher one to emulate.

Raistlin

Having the correct amount of buttons ... and it 'working' ... are two VERY different things.

No need to worry ... the shell will likely be cheap.

Onix said:
Having the correct amount of buttons ... and it 'working' ... are two VERY different things.

No need to worry ... the shell will likely be cheap.

Why wouldn't it work?

I think the shell is probably almost gaurunteed to be the GCN button layout, just with a bigger D-Pad and a second Z-button (Z2) to accomodate SNES titles.

But NES and N64 titles should work fine without the controller shell.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I. CAN. NOT. WAIT. to play Goldeneye on this thing. :D

argon

soundwave05 said:
Why wouldn't it work?

I think the shell is probably almost gaurunteed to be the GCN button layout, just with a bigger D-Pad and a second Z-button (Z2) to accomodate SNES titles.

Oh God please no....

Raistlin

soundwave05 said:
Why wouldn't it work?

Will it be confortable, and easy to reach everything during gamplay with the same ease an effeciency as the original controller?

Onix said:
Will it be confortable, and easy to reach everything during gamplay with the same ease an effeciency as the original controller?

Yup. Maybe even moreso actually in some cases.

1080 Snowboarding comes to mind. It's easier to press B + A on the Rev controller together than it is on the N64 pad.

mrkgoo

And what about games that used the D-pad, analogue stick and C-buttons? There weren't many, but they existed. I think turok used the d-pad for weapon switching or something. Point is, if it's REALLY comapatible, they need a solution. In reality, it'll just use a shell. The GC controller is already N64 controller plus then some.

mrkgoo said:
And what about games that used the D-pad, analogue stick and C-buttons? There weren't many, but they existed. I think turok used the d-pad for weapon switching or something. Point is, if it's REALLY comapatible, they need a solution. In reality, it'll just use a shell. The GC controller is already N64 controller plus then some.

AFIAK, no Nintendo published games used the D-Pad and C-buttons except KI Gold, which Nintendo wouldn't be able to use anyway.

It's not a bad solution since we don't know exactly if the controller shell will come with the system ... or what happens if your friend is coming over to play some multiplayer Star Fox 64 or GoldenEye or something but he doesn't have a classic controller shell?

This way at least all the N64 games Nintendo puts up will be playable.

fartblast said:
Are they going to rework the GE controls to work gyroscopically?

I guess if they really wanted to they could, but it's not neccessary. GoldenEye would be 100% playable with just the nunchaku controller.

miyuru

soundwave05 said:
I guess if they really wanted to they could, but it's not neccessary. GoldenEye would be 100% playable with just the nunchaku controller.

Yeah, it'd be like playing it with the two controller configs you could use in GE (though many ppl didn't).

Beezy

Gahiggidy said:
I. CAN. NOT. WAIT. to play Goldeneye on this thing. :D

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I wish they could fix PD's framerate during multiplayer somehow.

4 players + Multiple bots + explosive weapons = Massive lag

Zeo

Banned
I still say Nintendo packs Rev with remote + analog + shell. Make it clear to people what they all do in advertising, and there will be no problem.

Best of both worlds: 3rd party games, original "remote" games, and downloadable NES, SNES, and N64 games. Brilliant.

I think they will pack the classic controller shell with the system too, just for uniformity's sake and to avoid confusing consumers.

The remote controller + analog nunchaku are all but confirmed to be standard.

argon

soundwave05 said:
Yup. Maybe even moreso actually in some cases.

1080 Snowboarding comes to mind. It's easier to press B + A on the Rev controller together than it is on the N64 pad.

You know, you are probably right! I think it will even feel pretty similar if you hold the nunchucks in a similar position. The N64 controller just seemed intimidating to mimic because of its three-pronged look and extra C buttons.

Fowler

You know, since Nintendo is selling controller shells... I'd pay for shells that recreate each controller (an N64 shell, Super Famicom shell, etc). One of the things about emulation is having to get used to controllers that honestly are unsuitable for the original games, so it'd be nice to have the old controllers again.

The downside to having multiple "classic" shells is that it could confuse consumers and developers. You have to buy the SNES shell ... no, no, no that's the N64 shell! Also for developers who are trying to figure out which gamers have which shell.

Basically I think the most reasonable solution is just to have one shell, basically based on the GC design, but with a bigger d-pad/SNES styled shoulder buttons (Z1/Z2) and that's about it.

Include one with each Revolution system, so everyone has at least one and developers then know they can make games any way they want.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Not to toot my own horn, but I pretty much covered how NES, SNES & N64 games could be played in other topics:

NES
*NES games could be played one handed since the D-PAD, A & B buttons are all accessible when held vertically.
*Or, if turned on it's side (traditionally) and held with both hands it can be played like an old fasioned NES pad.

SNES
*If they add little x & y buttons with the a & b buttons near the bottom of the controller you could easily map out the SNES's controls to the remote-controller when it's held on it's side (traditionally) just as you would NES games. L & R can be handled by tilting left or right or they could add those buttons with a, b, x, y face buttons (basically making it a 6 face button controller which would kill those crying about playing SF).

N64
**With the analog attachment you can play any N64 game:
-analog::analog
-Z1::L/Z
-Z2::R
-A::A
-B::B
-D-PAD::C-Buttons

GCN
***Absolutly requires the "normal" shell to play games.
****Or, another option is to use existing GCN controllers thru GCN BC ports on the side of the Revolution deck.

* = remote-controller only
** = with analog attachment
*** = with "normal" shell
**** = GCN controller

So really, the "normal" shell may not be as critical as some think...that is if they add enough buttons to play SNES games with just the remote-controller. If they do, NES, SNES & N64 could all easily be played without the "normal" shell.

And for those who fear how to play Madden I also posted this in other topics:

Not really into sports or sports games myself so I'm no authority on how they should be made/controlled. It's quite obvious that tennis, golf & baseball would instantly benifit from this new interface. I even theorized (in the past when I talked of dual gyro control, which BTW alot of people though I was crazy then, yet it came to fruition) about a Punch Out! game where you used two of them to "shaddow box" against an on-screen opponant...which would be killer.

However, when it comes to something as popular (and pivotally important) as Madden this new control interface doesn't really seem to fit (these are fears of alot of casuals I've shown the controller to). It's possible though, by rethinking some things:
-tilt control: QB veiw "cone"
-analog: player movement
-D-PAD: jukes, dives, stiff arms (this is cool 'cos you could do these in the opposite dirrection that you're actually running)
-Z1 & Z2: turbo, leaps
-A: change receiver selection (I know Madden isn't set up this way as each button is above each receiver, but this way the QB can use the veiw "cone" more effectivly to fake out defenders following the QB's eyes and then throw it to a receiver they're not looking at to throw them off)
-B: cock arm to throw, once the QB is in this mode the ball won't be released until B is released (making strips, premature releases, fumbles and accidental bad throws more realistic)
-B + tilt control: pump fake by not letting go of the B button or let go of the B button to release after you've done a passiong motion, you flick the controller slightly then that's a short toss, you put an arch on your motion and that's a deeper pass, etc.

Overall this makes the QB possition more realistic 'cos you have to follow the motions just as in real life: move (analog), scan the feild (tilt control), choose receiver (A), cock the arm (B), do a throwing motion (tilt control) then release the ball (release B) all while being able to use more strategic moves (D-PAD) to prevent getting sacked.

Tilt control could also be used for hand motions before the play starts (same thing with baseball) in order to call plays on the fly, do audibles or even call a time out out if you see blitz. Stiff arms can also be more intense with tilt control, when trying to make a catch you can use tilt control to reach out for them better and if you're carrying the ball the possition your holding the remote-controller can simulate how you're carrying the ball...closer to your body and craddled means less likely stripping/fumbling.

Imagine four player multiplayer now. 3 on the couch, QB in chair...pivotal possitioning you see...player 1 sits next to player 2 and player 3 sits next to player 4.
Player 1- QB (goal is to throw the ball without getting sacked)
Player 2- defensive lineman (goal is to put pressure on the passer and/or sack them)
Player 3- receiver (goal is to get open and catch tha ball)
Player 4- outside defenders (goal is to cover receivers and try to pick off passes)

Don't you see? Full contact video games, imagine stripping, interceptions, fumbles, more realistic passes and more realistic catches! I know what you're thinking...it could get violent, but they could code the remote-controllers to know when/if they get to close to one another and thus a foul (pass interface, unneccessary roughness, facemask, roughing the passer, lates hits, etc.) results...awesome IMO.

The bolded parts in the Madden description were ones I just thought of for this post.

I don't think Nintendo is going to add any more buttons to the regular wand controller at all Gakman. Infact there's probably more buttons on the freehand controller as is than Nintendo would like.

Also tilting the controller right or left doesn't exactly give the same feel as pushing a button. It would work nicely for F-Zero for instance, but maybe not as well for some other games.

I agree that Madden would work fine on the nunchaku controller and EA has already said they're looking forward to making their sports games compatible with the freehand controller.

I'd like to see in NHL 2007, say if I could hold the Z2 trigger and then go into "aim" mode and be able to shoot the puck exactly as high/low as I want and exactly where I want it.

Top Bottom