• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ridge racers is still the best psp game, technically and gameplay wise

rod

Banned
been away from home so im playing a lot of handhelds lately, and il say this. ive played nearly every psp game out, except the imports as im afraid of the language barrier, but to me, ridge racers is still the most amazing looking, fastest most fun game on the psp. i absolutely love it. i finished it earlier this year, but deleted my save game purposely and started again.

better than GTA. better than burnout. best psp game.

anyone else agree? :)

Pimpbaa

rod said:
been away from home so im playing a lot of handhelds lately, and il say this. ive played nearly every psp game out, except the imports as im afraid of the language barrier, but to me, ridge racers is still the most amazing looking, fastest most fun game on the psp. i absolutely love it. i finished it earlier this year, but deleted my save game purposely and started again.

better than GTA. better than burnout. best psp game.

anyone else agree? :)

I don't agree with it being better than GTA, but it's the best racing game on a portable period. I picked it up the other day and I am having immense fun with it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's certainly still my favorite psp game, but i haven't played gta or katamari so i can't say if it's the most technically accomplished.

Pimpbaa

drohne said:
it's certainly still my favorite psp game, but i haven't played gta or katamari so i can't say if it's the most technically accomplished.

Yeah, it being in 16-bit color kinda prevents it from being one of the best looking. Hopefully 16-bit color games are a thing of the past now for the psp.

rod

Banned
drohne said:

i think GTA is a massive accomplishment for the psp, but ridge racers has amazing lighting and amazing textures (for a handheld). gta is a large city, granted, but i dunno ridge racers just feels better technically. i cant see myself playing through gta again, but i can certainly see myself playing through RR even after multiple completions. i think even if this was released on ps2 it was be an amazing looking game.

bill0527

I dunno, I'm having a lot of fun with Smackdown vs. Raw 2006. Its one of those games that I'm just amazed with because they pretty much got the entirety of the PS2 version on the handheld without sacrificing much of anything.

neptunes

DarkAngelYuna said:
And yet it still sucks compared to Mario Kart =)
lets not go there

and no!

It's the screen and not the game. And after a couple of minutes you don't notice it. I'm on hour 25 and the game is fucking amazing.
Yeah I know it's the screen, but I do notice how some games ghost more than others.

I'm thinking it has to do with certain color palettes used in various games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DarkAngelYuna said:
And yet it still sucks compared to Mario Kart =)
Uhhh...

I suppose it's the same match that has existed since the two series began (they both ARE very old series, afterall). Having not been a MK fan since the SNES game, I would easily place Ridge Racer far FAR above it...but I'm not foolish enough to believe that the MK series is not also of high quality. It could go either way, depending on tastes.

I think Katamari might be a bit ahead of it in some ways, but RR is more polished in the end (thanks to 60 fps). I actually think Rockman X looks better in many ways, however. It's just so damn beautiful looking in motion.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is it not possible to have a thread about one system's games where someone DOESN'T come in and chime in with "But it's not better than (title here)!!"? :)

Dark, but Irregular Hunter X has slowdown at various points in the game. RR is ALWAYS 60fps, no matter what. I do still put RR up there as far the most visually impressive PSP games go, however. It remains my favorite portable racing game.

Hayami said:
ridge racers? what, you got two copies?

The game is called "Ridge Racers" in Japan. Perhaps he imported the game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
honestly, it's not even my favorite racer. it's a really pretty game and a nice showcase for the system. I'd take Wipeout over it handily...and I like racing games with cars.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Musashi Wins! said:
honestly, it's not even my favorite racer. it's a really pretty game and a nice showcase for the system. I'd take Wipeout over it handily...and I like racing games with cars.

It's an amazingly accomplished racer that serves well as a showcase launch game and a virtual museum for a decade old franchise, but I'd probably end up giving Wipeout the nod as well...as much as I suck at it.

Yesterday I thought the same as I was playing the game. RRs is not super-impresive, I mean the textures aren't that great, and some things could be improved, but it makes use of some really nice effects (like sun reflection in the surface of the road). I guess it's just that it has pretty nice art, all the game -from the menus to the opening sequence, to the game itself- looks really sleek. Namco rocks :p

Dilbert

It's a fantastic game, and definitely one of the first ones I show off to people who haven't seen a PSP before, but Wipeout Pure is a better racer and GTA:LCS is more impressive technically.

Also, is there any way to play the game EXCEPT for cockpit view? That's the easiest way to avoid the ugly car texture problem. :)

Ponn

Banned
Disagree. I'm having so much fun with Socom online right now and Xmen Legends II play sessions. Ridge Racers lost it's appeal with me fairly quickly when you got to the last few tracks. Fucking Pac Man and his Pacmobile can bite me.

Beowvlf

Banned
-jinx- said:
It's a fantastic game, and definitely one of the first ones I show off to people who haven't seen a PSP before, but Wipeout Pure is a better racer and GTA:LCS is more impressive technically.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Top Bottom