• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RightStuf anime store shutting down (moving to Crunchyroll)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's the end of an era fellow anime/manga nerds. I haven't used Rightstuf much in the last decade since I mostly stopped buying physical anime and amazon being just as good if not better price wise most of the time but at the height of my physical anime collecting, they were awesome. All of the merch will move onto crunchyroll. RIghtstuf is having a "goodbye" sale right now. 15 percent off any in-stock item.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Weebs right now.

Korean Drama Crying GIF by The Swoon

LordCBH

Ugh. All the shit on Crunchyroll is more expensive…. Kinda bullshit to say “our store isn’t going anywhere” and then turn around and do this shit less than a year later. Fuck off sony.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Crazy how some shit streaming website I used to watch subbed 80s anime on my Wii Internet browser in 2007 now has a monopoly on the anime industry.

Crazy how some shit streaming website I used to watch subbed 80s anime on my Wii Internet browser in 2007 now has a monopoly on the anime industry.

Yup Sony, owner of Crunchyroll, funimation, music of most anime, etc. Lowkey a major streaming player that no one talks about and happens to control the best type of content for streaming (100s of 30 min episodes designed to make you feel the urge to watch the next one).

Doom85

sad metal gear solid GIF

I still buy plenty of anime BRs (as the license for streaming rights do eventually expire, and only the biggest shows will likely be renewed) and of course manga, and RightStuf definitely fueled a lot of that particular from the late 2000s to the mid 2010s. I did mainly switch to Amazon as I would often find better deals there, but still sad to see them go.

Also my heart goes out to Shawne Kleckner, who founded the site and ran it for decades. I know he was really passionate about the mediums of anime and manga, and it sucks his retirement from the site (he left last year, months after the acquisition announcement) had to be under these circumstances.

While I do use Crunchyroll a lot for streaming obviously, their store rarely gathers my attention and I’ve bought like two things there IIRC. I’ll stick to Amazon for anime/manga purchases.

Crunchyroll has been slowly assimilating all anime streaming and I think it’s probably for the best. Funimation was bought out by them and now this. It’s the undisputed king of the genre. I only hope they’re a fair king.

Doom85

Crunchyroll has been slowly assimilating all anime streaming and I think it’s probably for the best. Funimation was bought out by them and now this. It’s the undisputed king of the genre. I only hope they’re a fair king.

Err, I’m not as critical of Crunchyroll as some, but there should always be competition in any market. Sentai is the main one with their streaming service HiDive (also Netflix to a degree), and in terms of anime physical releases, there’s Sentai, Aniplex of America, and Discotek.

I will always miss FUNimation. As someone who got into anime in 2005, FUNimation was the source I got so many amazing shows, especially it was not too long when some of the other major US anime physical releases companies went under, such as ADV, Bandai Entertainment, and Geneon. I got to go to one of their panels in 2011 at Anime Central in Chicago and the staff was super fun and chill (big announcement was Is This a Zombie?!, which is a silly but fun series).

I actually hadn’t been to a con since COVID, but I finally went to one a few weeks ago and got to meet a lot of dub actors. Caitlin Glass was one of the standouts for me, she had done a lot of great roles, and I got her autograph on my BRs of Baccano, School Rumble, Ouran High School Host Club, and Zombieland Saga (actually half of the VAs of the ladies of Zombieland were there, so I’ve already got half my art box Blu-Ray set signed!). Also met and got autographs from Sonny Strait (Krillin from Dragonball) who did a pretty good little drawing of Krillin’s head on my manga volume (so glad I got the DB and DBZ manga box sets earlier this year), and also the voices of:

Kara Edwards- Videl and Gotenks from DBZ
Amber Lee Connors- Komi from Komi Can’t Communicate
Brynn Aprill- Kobeni from Chainsaw Man
Stephanie Young- Olivier Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Chris Patton- The main lead of Welcome to the NHK and The World God Only Knows
Tia Ballard- Yuu from Bloom into You and Chiho from Devil is a Part Timer

It was so much fun, and I realized how much I missed going to cons. Also got some figures: Asuka from Evangelion, Aki from Chainsaw Man, and Marin from My Dress Up Darling (the $30-50 range, my budget went way down after all the autographs). Also, free food, I was seeing about grabbing some food at the one food counter I saw before leaving as the Dealers’ Room was closing in 15 minutes, and the counter lady offered me a free big pretzel and nachos as they were just looking to get rid of inventory given their day was almost over. Super cool.

Top Bottom