• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riot Announces "Project A" for PC. Their take on a first person Hero shooter

Fbh

riot-fps-announced.jpg

Saw no thead on this. I guess most of us have no particular love for Riot (aka Tencent) but they are still a big enough player in the industry that it think it might be worth discussing.

Riot Games has announced “Project A,” a character-based, first-person tactical shooter or PC. A release date was not announced.

Project A is described as a precise and competitive first-person shooter set on a near future Earth, featuring a lethal cast of characters each with their own unique abilities.

“Just like League [of Legends], we’re in this for years and years to come,” executive producer Anna Donlon said in the announcement video. “With Project A, we’re staying true to the high consequence gameplay of tactical shooters. But we want to evolve the space. We want a tactical shooter with more creativity, more expression, and a lot more style. In Project A, your abilities create amazing tactical opportunities for your gunplay to shine.”

She continued, “We started with a crew of veteran developers who have a deep passion and a wide range of experience in the first-person shooter space. But it’s not enough to have the right team. We also need to solve the right problems. But what does that really mean? Well, we’re all tired of seeing our bullets not register because of low server tick rates. We keep hearing buzzwords like dedicated servers, but almost nothing about low ping or how the game plans to fight peekers advantage. But with Project A, we’re going big on things like global infrastructure and netcode designed to go to war on peekers advantage. You’ll hear more technical details as we get closer to launch, but just know, we know these are critical things to get right.”

Regarding cheaters, Donlon said, “We know you hate second guessing if you really lost or someone was running on a aimbot or a wallhack. From day one, we have put anti-cheat at the forefront of our development, and we will do whatever it takes to preserve the integrity of your matches. We want to be firm in our commitment here because this matters to us and we know it really matters to you.

She concluded, “These are just some examples of what we mean when we say we want to do a character-based tactical shooter right. We’re keeping the fundamentals that make the genre so so competitive, but also bringing some new additions. We’re going heads down for a while, but expect to hear more from us in 2020.”

Here's the announcement trailer:

Source: Gematsu

Seems to be fairly early in the development and going for a much shorter TTK, almost looks a bit like counter strike with powers. But he visual style doesn't really stand out, specially compared to the something like Overwatch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
That's nice. Can 343 hurry up with Halo MCC PC already?

Last edited by a moderator:

Helios

Not really that excited for the game but I'm glad net advantage is getting the attention it deserves. Hopefully more developers follow suit.

MiguelItUp

I will say I'm CURIOUS about Project A for sure, but I can't really say I'm excited until I know more about how it plays and flows. I've never been a fan of new games/IPs that are essentially just a slice of the current hot gaming fad pie.

I'll admit the only time I was a hypocrite was when I gave HOTS a try and played it for quite a bit. But all the hyped games riding that hero shooter and BR shooter pie I just didn't care for.

Fbh

Looks like early 2000's era games. It's pretty sad that only good pc shooter i'm looking orward to is Halo collection.
I guess much like LOL (or Fortnite) their focus will be on low end graphics that run well on as many devices as possible.
Which is why it's disappointing that the art direction looks so weak right now.

Reon

As long as it has characters with unique abilities and powers, it will always be fundamentally unbalanced and will never be the global superpower that CSGO is.

Javthusiast

Banned
Looks like a chinese overwatch x csgo knockoff. Oh wait they are 100% owned by Tencent. Makes sense. xD

The only thing that would actually be of interest to me out of their new games would be a fighting game, but they still quiet about that one.

Last edited:

Holammer

Been asking for a game that marries the tactics of Counterstrike and the shooting mechanics of Call of duty for years. It would be a perfect evergreen e-sports title especially on consoles, one that would put a dent in Activision's COD sales. But as Angry Joe says, "They fucked it up" by adding ultimates and special techniques. Just like your regular Blizzard title or League itself it'll require constant balance changes.
Will it be a success? Most likely, Riot will stuff the pockets of influencers and other personalities with wads of cash to make sure of that.

Top Bottom