• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Dark Souls 2 (vanilla)

eot

Banned
Last week, for whatever reason, I started listening to the Majula theme in the background. It's a pretty good theme guys:

Even though I was firmly on the DkS2 hate train at the time of its release, I got in the mood to play it. When I thought back on it I realised there were actually quite a few neat things about it ('ll get to them eventually).

Now, I hadn't touched this game since finishing my gruelling SL1 run shortly after release, and I hadn't played a Souls game since DkS3 came out (which is over four years ago now, crazy). What I want to say is that my brain was a fairly blank slate, it's not like I just came off playing Sekiro. Despite that, it took all of 30 seconds for me to remember how off the inputs in this game feel. Dark Souls 2 feels, to me, like how I imagine people who can't stand animation priority experience the original Dark Souls. It's a combination of the number of wind up / recovery frames your attacks have, and how stiff the animations look. It's not ruinously bad, the game remains quite playable, but this frankly isn't a game that feels mechanically satisfying to play. The way this issue most commonly manifests for me is that I start an attack before an enemy does, and while I'm in my wind up they also start an attack, and we both hit each other because they have a super short wind up. Alternatively, I hit an enemy without taking a hit myself, but I'm now stuck in recovery frames for what feels like forever, and I end up getting clipped before I can move out of the way.

Before you tell me to git gud, I'll say that I just unlocked to Dranleic Castle and the only boss that's killed me is Excutioner's Chariot, so while I'm far from amazing at these games, I'm not garbage either. It's not a matter of difficulty, it's just that the enemies become less fun to fight. FWIW I always play without a shield, if you always block and then attack perhaps you notice this crap less. If anyone cares I'm using a Mace, which isn't exactly a dagger, but it's not that slow either. I'll also add that in the first Dark Souls I loved learning how to parry, whereas in this game it just frustrates me and I almost never do it. It feels like playing with input lag.

Something that doesn't help matters is the encounter design, to whatever extent that word even applies to this game. I'll have some nice things to say about it in a bit, but holy shit the people in charge of enemy placement clearly do not understand the combat in these games. The first really bad example is the ballista room in Forest of Fallen Giants:

ForestGiant31.jpg

I haven't played SotFS so I don't know in which ways it differs, but in vanilla there's like four fairly strong hollows that rush out (though you can get one for free with the trap), and you're fighting them in this quite small arena. The way these little shits attack is pretty typical of this game, which is a three hit combo that goes on for like ten seconds. So all three rush you, and at any given time one is probably in the middle of his fucking combo and you can't attack them without getting hit and staggered. Now sure, you can kite them forever, go up the ladder, use some ranged item or whatever - like I said, it's not about difficulty - it's just not interesting at all. This kind of thing repeats all throughout the game, another particularly bad example is in Lost Bastille when you go to the Ruin Sentinels, where five of these stupid Royal Swordsmen rush you at once. Yet another one is the pit with four or five of these guys in Harvest Valley:

latest

The game consistently wants you to fight groups of enemies that are simply not designed to be fought in groups. Enemies with very long reach, a lot of poise and high damage output. It's so freaking insistent on this that they hard coded chain aggro, so that when you try to pull enemies they will all aggro (this doesn't always happen, but it happens enough). Also, a special "fuck you" to the red phantom in the Undead Purgatory, before the fog gate. Fighting this guy with no shield and no poise shines a spotlight on how bullshit he is. I've had him track me almost 180 degrees, while he was in the air doing a leap attack as I was rolling around him, just wtf were they thinking.

People often shit on the bosses in this game, and while there are few of them that would rank highly on my list of favourite bosses, I think they're much better designed than the rest of the encounters in the game. Most of them are real pushovers, but doing a challenge run brings more out of them (in a few cases "more" means "more bullshit", but the majority are good).

When it comes to things that don't have to do with the combat I think my appreciation for the game has grown over the years. Back in 2014 we all loved Dark Souls, and then this came out with no interconnected world or real shortcuts to speak of, the elevator to Iron Keep, Heineken garbage piles, an agility stat etc. - lots of low hanging fruit to pick. Removed from that context, and taking the game for what it is, that stuff doesn't bother me any more. I actually think that what endears me to this game is all the ways in which it is different. Dark Souls 3, despite feeling much nicer to play, largely bored me (I put it down a few bosses before the end). It tried to be a more faithful sequel to Dark Souls and in so doing came off like a boring rehash. It's a largely well executed game that has almost no original ideas.

The one thing you can't accuse Dark Souls 2 of though is a lack of ideas. It has a huge variety of environments, maybe more than the other two games combined, it greatly expands the RPG mechanics, the non-linear structure is awesome (I love how you can get to Lost Bastille two different ways), it lets you affect boss fights before they happen several times etc. I'm not saying everything works, for example Shaded Woods isn't that fun to play, but it's a cool concept. It all adds up though, you have the statues you can de-petrify, sconces to light (even though it's pointless), you can set tar pits on fire, there's a convenant that gives you access to a secret boss and on and on. Majula is a fantastic hub, while feeling nothing like Firelink Shrine. An area like No Man's Wharf is more memorable to me than basically anything in Dark Souls 3, you have enemies that are afraid of light and there's this enormous chandelier you can light up that casts light over the entire level, there's a freaking pirate ship that you call into port, there's a funny NPC who isn't simply a Dark Souls call back, the boss fight takes place in gradually rising water etc.

This game is just full of ideas, even though they don't come together and the game as a whole feels like something that was salvaged, rather than carefully crafted. Maybe it's just age, but nowadays I have a much bigger appreciation for things that are different, whereas in the past I often just wanted more of the same thing I already liked.

I just wish it felt better to play.

The DLC is pretty good. SotFS is pretty good though a lot harder to level as a new character. You could farm the Old Dragonslayer in the original so early in that you could enjoy not getting KOed by the cheap tricks so easily.

But in SotFS you won’t get Off that easy. Certain builds also don’t work on some areas because of the NPC reworking.

SotFS is more challenging for sure. But we’ll worth the price of admission. Original was good but definitely hasn’t aged as well.

Reactions: GHG

Helios

I never enjoyed SoTFS. I felt like it added too much unnecessary encounters. Some of the item placement changes are nice but everything else is meh. Than again, I was never one to jump on the DS2 hate bandwagon so that might have something to do with it. The game isn't the best but it's nowhere near as bad as some people on the internet make it to be.

Poordevil

I enjoyed Dark Souls 2. Put a lot of quality game time into it. I thought the PvP was the bomb. Had more fun PvPing in DS2 than any other Souls game. I enjoyed the PvE too. The level design was not up to Miyazaki fare, but I still enjoyed the game. I do remember being frustrated at the number of enemies that could surround me at times. Overall though I thought it was a fun Souls game.

Gargus

Banned
I really enjoyed 2.

2 is what got me into souls games. Played demons souls and didn't like it. Tried dark souls and quit after 5 hours or so. Picked up the CE of 2 when they were dirt ass cheap and it clicked with me. Went back after I hear it and played demons souls and dark souls, got 3 when it came out and bloodborne.

I'm not sure why I liked it so much but I never got the dislike for it. I guess maybe I was mentally in a place to enjoy it when I tried 2 and that's why I beat it and loved it so much.

iorek21

SotFS added a lot of more polish to DS2, but it still is the weaker game of the trilogy IMO

DS2 had unnecessary changes that were very harmful, specially in animations. Just compare DS2's movesets and overall animations with DS1/DS3/BB, it is waaaay too different. It gets even more noticeable when you play the series back-to-back.

Problems aside, it's a good game, doesn't really deserves the hate it got (downgrade aside)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Amazing game. I only finished vanilla once when it was new and loved it.
Ever since I've replayed SOTFS edition + DLC and realized that I hate this fucking DLC. all of it. It's very overrated and main game is much better. DLC don't play anything like dark souls. It's like a methodical, annoying puzzle game with enemies so tough, even level 200 don't match them. Your character and weapons scale for base game and dlc feels attached and overscales You waaaay too much.
Part of Dark Souls is about your level and equipment catching up to the enemies. It never happens in any of the dlc. It's all annoying maze without any reward.

I've been meaning to replay vanilla soon (without any dlc) to see how it contrasts with sotfs base... I think vanilla might have been better? Anyone compared both recently ?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's the Devil May Cry 2 of the series. I was pumped to play it Day One, sunk a few dozen hours into it those first few weeks, and then my buddies and I were like... "Hey you still playing Dark Souls 2?"

dd0.jpg

We didn't play PvP if it makes a difference. The "everything but the kitchen sink" approach gave MP players a huge amount of toys to play around with, so that was its saving grace for players who enjoy online modes.

eot

Banned
Play SoTFS.

It's much better.

I never enjoyed SoTFS. I felt like it added too much unnecessary encounters. Some of the item placement changes are nice but everything else is meh. Than again, I was never one to jump on the DS2 hate bandwagon so that might have something to do with it. The game isn't the best but it's nowhere near as bad as some people on the internet make it to be.
Vanilla is much better than SotFS in my opinion. I really dislike most of the changes they made, like putting mobs everywhere, blocking passages etc... Really felt like an amateurish hack.
I always read conflicting opinions like this about SotFS. I'm gonna give it a shot later on, tbh the reason I didn't buy it when it came out was that you couldn't transfer saves and I wanted to do the DLC on my challenge runs as well (without re-playing the game).

The DLC is pretty good. SotFS is pretty good though a lot harder to level as a new character. You could farm the Old Dragonslayer in the original so early in that you could enjoy not getting KOed by the cheap tricks so easily.

But in SotFS you won’t get Off that easy. Certain builds also don’t work on some areas because of the NPC reworking.

SotFS is more challenging for sure. But we’ll worth the price of admission. Original was good but definitely hasn’t aged as well.
What do you mean by farming Old Dragonslayer? With Bonfire Ascetics?

Problems aside, it's a good game, doesn't really deserves the hate it got (downgrade aside)
Regarding the downgrade, there's a pretty nice looking lighting mod in the works

TacosNSalsa

While I enjoyed vanilla 2 I HATE SoTFS. Their idea of difficulty increase is throwing quite a bit more enemies at you and give them an increased aggro range(I'm actually not sure of this as I didn't remember vanilla that well) . They follow you for a ways and I'm like leave me the F alone . You walk into an area with all those BS fodder hollows that they packed the game with and they're like

B0TpMZS.gif

sublimit

Banned
I always read conflicting opinions like this about SotFS. I'm gonna give it a shot later on, tbh the reason I didn't buy it when it came out was that you couldn't transfer saves and I wanted to do the DLC on my challenge runs as well (without re-playing the game).
Also prepare having at least two main weapons that you like upgraded because weapons in SotFS break as if they are made from wood (unless they have patched this).

Graciaus

SoTFS has some nice changes in item placement but the enemy encounters are made worse almost always. The game is just annoying to play since it throws huge groups of enemies at you which are equally annoying to run past usually. They also ruined Iron Keep.

I loved DS2 vanilla. It's my least favorite Souls, but my least favorite Souls is still one of the best games I've ever played.

And there are aspects about it that are series highlights. Never played SotFS though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dark Souls 2 i amazing. I've not played vanilla since doing so o xbox 360 on release date. SOTFS I've finished few times on pc and I don't like the DLC and maybe something is off about sotfs changes.
Anyone knows where I can buy vanilla no dlc steam key for pc ?

D.Final

Banned
Dark Souls 2 i amazing. I've not played vanilla since doing so o xbox 360 on release date. SOTFS I've finished few times on pc and I don't like the DLC and maybe something is off about sotfs changes.
Anyone knows where I can buy vanilla no dlc steam key for pc ?

Maybe around somewhere on the Dark Souls community forums

Bartski

Gold Member
I think a lot of the criticism this game gets for its combat is because IMO it forces the player to adapt your arsenal and approach to a given situation more than one might like to. An aggressive shield-less dexterity weapon way of playing has always been my go-to, but there are places in the game (like enemy group clusterfucks in small spaces) where I'd switch to a wide AOE-360-swing type of sword, always tried to have a couple of very different upgraded weapons on me for different scenarios. Sometimes sticking to one playstyle just makes it more difficult than it needs to, like some boss battles without a shield or Shrine of Amana without a descent bow...

Dark Souls 2 feels, to me, like how I imagine people who can't stand animation priority experience the original Dark Souls. It's a combination of the number of wind up / recovery frames your attacks have, and how stiff the animations look.
So true. It somehow feels being the clunkiest game of all FROM games, including Demon's. What also adds to it is how painfully slow Estus health regen is. It really makes you keep a distance, prioritize defense and play the game in a less fun way.

For some reason it's hard for me to rank FROM games... I love them all in a very special way, every each one differently with all their flaws. I love Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, played over 250Hrs all the way to NG++ platinum, despite some truly shit, pain in the ass level design, gank spank battles, copy-paste bosses and the clunkyness. It's just great at what it does well like:
It has a huge variety of environments, maybe more than the other two games combined, it greatly expands the RPG mechanics, the non-linear structure is awesome (I love how you can get to Lost Bastille two different ways), it lets you affect boss fights before they happen several times etc. I'm not saying everything works, for example Shaded Woods isn't that fun to play, but it's a cool concept. It all adds up though, you have the statues you can de-petrify, sconces to light (even though it's pointless), you can set tar pits on fire, there's a convenant that gives you access to a secret boss and on and on. Majula is a fantastic hub, while feeling nothing like Firelink Shrine. An area like No Man's Wharf is more memorable to me than basically anything in Dark Souls 3, you have enemies that are afraid of light and there's this enormous chandelier you can light up that casts light over the entire level, there's a freaking pirate ship that you call into port, there's a funny NPC who isn't simply a Dark Souls call back, the boss fight takes place in gradually rising water etc.

And it's got Majula.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I think a lot of the criticism this game gets for its combat is because IMO it forces the player to adapt your arsenal and approach to a given situation more than one might like to. An aggressive shield-less dexterity weapon way of playing has always been my go-to, but there are places in the game (like enemy group clusterfucks in small spaces) where I'd switch to a wide AOE-360-swing type of sword, always tried to have a couple of very different upgraded weapons on me for different scenarios. Sometimes sticking to one playstyle just makes it more difficult than it needs to, like some boss battles without a shield or Shrine of Amana without a descent bow...

So true. It somehow feels being the clunkiest game of all FROM games, including Demon's. What also adds to it is how painfully slow Estus health regen is. It really makes you keep a distance, prioritize defense and play the game in a less fun way.

For some reason it's hard for me to rank FROM games... I love them all in a very special way, every each one differently with all their flaws. I love Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, played over 250Hrs all the way to NG++ platinum, despite some truly shit, pain in the ass level design, gank spank battles, copy-paste bosses and the clunkyness. It's just great at what it does well like:

And it's got Majula.

Majula :messenger_smiling_hearts:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
bump
I've reinstalled sotfs since I am still waiting for vanilla key discount on steam and I've noticed controls movement deadzone being a bit 8-directional? Never noticed it before.
Is this a design choice or a bug of pc version? I don't have my 360 version to compare anymore.

Anyway - sotfs is annoying af. Gank squads, ambushes, stupid petrified enemies everywhere. Oh... there is an ogre here and here... and here. Let's put a dragon before dragonslayer arena without room to fight it, sure. And it makes no sense since it's a... Dragon Slayer.
I did finished sotfs few times and I love it but now I remember why I wanted to replay base Vanilla game and not sotfs version. Most love I have for DS2 comes from my original playthroughs on 360 in 2014. Sotfs replays on pc were great too but more annoying now that I think about it. Imo, the default DS2 experience should be original dx9 version and people would like it better. Sotfs is a great game but just a tad too cheap difficult.
And then there is dlc.... Way too hard gank squads, ambushes and the same enemy in all 3 areas. Each area is just 1 new gimmick. I think base is way better and dlc is overrated. And You being level 200 makes nothing. Gear dont't scale up to the dlc and the areas get tiring fast with no rewards and pointless crap in chests everywhere. I do like how Brume tower looks and atmosphere of eleum loyce.

That said - I can get pirated 1.0 pc version or wait longer and buy dx9 steam version which apparently was sotfs patched in some way but have old enemy placements so it's not entirely vanilla? Or get 360 version and don't patch it but that's 720p tearing nightmare and I have 4k freesync monitor :p
I also think only latest dx9 and sotf steam versions have 60fps durability patched.
Edit: Or maybe I need to replay vanilla to appreciate sotfs again. But f that dlc for now...

Last edited:

Quezacolt

I love the Souls series, just recently finished NG+1 on dark souls remastered and im starting NG+1 on Dark souls 3, after that, bloodborne, but DS2 it's the only game i can't get back to.

I enjoyed my first playthough, but in the back of my head, it always felt like there was something wrong with the game, and there's a lot wrong with it and sadly, the good can't compensate all the bad for me.

The game does deserve the hate it gets, the difficulty is cheap, it's the soul game with the most bosses, but also with the larger number of bad or forgetable bosses, many areas are just ugly and bad, the lockon is messued up, the controls aren't that good and the list goes on....

Compared to other games, it's a decent game, or even good, but compared to the est of the series? it's easily the worst of the bunch.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love the Souls series, just recently finished NG+1 on dark souls remastered and im starting NG+1 on Dark souls 3, after that, bloodborne, but DS2 it's the only game i can't get back to.

I enjoyed my first playthough, but in the back of my head, it always felt like there was something wrong with the game, and there's a lot wrong with it and sadly, the good can't compensate all the bad for me.

The game does deserve the hate it gets, the difficulty is cheap, it's the soul game with the most bosses, but also with the larger number of bad or forgetable bosses, many areas are just ugly and bad, the lockon is messued up, the controls aren't that good and the list goes on....

Compared to other games, it's a decent game, or even good, but compared to the est of the series? it's easily the worst of the bunch.
The difficulty is cheap in all 3 dlc levels and in many places in sotfs. I don't think vanilla ds2 is that cheap

Top Bottom