• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: God of War 1 & 2

Siyou

maxresdefault.jpg

With the recent sale on psn I ended up buying god of war 3 for the ps4. I had never actually played GoW3 upon its initial release, and now I feel perhaps it's time to. But first I figured it might be fun to play through the 1st and 2nd God of War games (on my ps3) before I delve into the third installment.

Hydra fight

With introductions out of the way, I must admit there's a lot to respect about the fluidity of the first game after the hydra scene. It feels pretty natural for most of the exploration. I also love that it definitely takes advantage of any scenic moments by hiding a chest off to the side, completely halt the pacing, to obtain; gorgon eyes, harpy feathers, or just red orbs.

Although the game has considerably aged, I must say, it's a nice little revisit. The last time I actually played through this game was in about 2005, maybe 2006. My gal and I had a chuckle at the nudity in the game, as it seemed considerably forced, but I guess that's just kind of how god of war started.

I'm past halfway and I know that Hades awaits me. I dread it. Outright dread it. I guess it's all downhill, or off a cliff, from here.. Yeah? What were your impressions when you first played through God of War 1? I was still in high school when it came out, but I do want to know everyone's impressions on the game and what you thought when you first played it.

I'll update the OP as I play through the 1st and get into the second.

Corpsepyre

Banned
With the recent sale on psn I ended up buying god of war 3 for the ps4. I had never actually played GoW3 upon its initial release, and now I feel perhaps it's time to. But first I figured it might be fun to play through the 1st and 2nd God of War games (on my ps3) before I delve into the third installment.

Hydra fight

With introductions out of the way, I must admit there's a lot to respect about the fluidity of the first game after the hydra scene. It feels pretty natural for most of the exploration. I also love that it definitely takes advantage of any scenic moments by hiding a chest off to the side, completely halt the pacing, to obtain; gorgon eyes, harpy feathers, or just red orbs.

Although the game has considerably aged, I must say, it's a nice little revisit. The last time I actually played through this game was in about 2005, maybe 2006. My gal and I had a chuckle at the nudity in the game, as it seemed considerably forced, but I guess that's just kind of how god of war started.

I'm past halfway and I know that Hades awaits me. I dread it. Outright dread it. I guess it's all downhill, or off a cliff, from here.. Yeah? What were your impressions when you first played through God of War 1? I was still in high school when it came out, but I do want to know everyone's impressions on the game and what you thought when you first played it.

I'll update the OP as I play through the 1st and get into the second.

Hades was fucking awesome. The game doesn't have any downers. None at all, in my opinion. I absolutely loved that bit, and I would jump from the top of the towers on purpose so I could do them again.

Anyway, back to the game. I played God of War back in 2005 when it came out, and it completely floored me. It's a big part of me growing up. I ended the first game close to 50 times now. The storytelling, those amazing CGIs that told Kratos's story, the Hydra boss fight, and so many more moments, are some of my favourite in games. I got to know some people through this game as well, and I cherish those friendships to this day. The game just means a lot to me.

Sure, GoW2 was way, way better from a gameplay and graphics standpoint, but what I loved about the first game, that focus on Kratos and that killer form of storytelling, was lacking. It's still a bloody great game, but 1 is still special for me.

I actually bought them during that sale too. My only experience with the series is 30 minutes of 3. Maybe I'll start up one tonight in the final 24 hours until Persona.

It's unfortunate there weren't more bosses as there were in 2 or 3, especially before Pandora's Box, to which David Jaffe had a boss planned but couldn't put it in due to time constraints.

It's still a lovely, very fun game, and it's got some great puzzles. Aligning all doors in Pandora's Temple? That's fucking cool. There were so many secrets in that place, too.

I put 2 above it. But 1 is still great. Actually, I love all three.

I replayed GoW 2 on the collection after playing 3. It went from being my favourite to my least. The second half of the game is full of bullshit death time puzzles filled with annoying enemies, something that the first one only does at the end.

They still feature incredible spectacle but yeah, they have aged. God of War III and Ascension are more comfortable to play although the plot of Ascension is sleep inducing. Plot in 3 is bad but the gameplay and spectacularity carries it all the way.

Edit: Shit, I didn't read you haven't played 3, sorry about spoilers. Erasing that. :(

Reset

God of War 1 is my least favorite out of the trilogy.
I hated that there were only three boss fights, and I hated the Pandora's temple and how 3/4th of the game is spent in that area.

Siyou

Hades was fucking awesome. The game doesn't have any downers. None at all, in my opinion. I absolutely loved that bit, and I would jump from the top of the towers on purpose so I could do them again.

Anyway, back to the game. I played God of War back in 2005 when it came out, and it completely floored me. It's a big part of me growing up. I ended the first game close to 50 times now. The storytelling, those amazing CGIs that told Kratos's story, the Hydra boss fight, and so many more moments, are some of my favourite in games. I got to know some people through this game as well, and I cherish those friendships to this day. The game just means a lot to me.

Sure, GoW2 was way, way better from a gameplay and graphics standpoint, but what I loved about the first game, that focus on Kratos and that killer form of storytelling, was lacking. It's still a bloody great game, but 1 is still special for me.

The cutscenes that elaborate on the story are truly top notch. And honestly, I was glued the first time I played this game. It was a play-through-in-one-night sort of feelings. Hadn't had one of those with a game in a long time.

I actually bought them during that sale too. My only experience with the series is 30 minutes of 3. Maybe I'll start up one tonight in the final 24 hours until Persona.

Same. I did the silly thing of pre-ordering it, but I'm letting them take their time with the postage, so I'll have it sometime next week.

God of War 1 is my least favorite out of the trilogy.
I hated that there were only three boss fights, and I hated the Pandora's temple and how 3/4th of the game is spent in that area.

I felt that Pandora's Temple actually made the game feel like an adventure. The puzzles, most of them, feel pretty good as well! :)

I would have gone straight to 3. You'll wear yourself out once you get to it and probably not like it as much as if you had played it first.
3 is great.

God of War has the tightest pacing and best story. What it lacks mechanically and in variety of locales it makes up for with its laser-like focus and cohesion.

God of War 2 is a step up from the original across the board (mostly). However, I do think it wears out it's welcome towards the end.

However, the latter has some killer sequences that clearly surpass anything in the former.

You can certainly feel the influence of the key men behind each game. You can feel Jaffe's irreverence in God of War - as well as his often overlooked expertise in the game design department.

And Cory's sheer will to create something bigger and better than the first game can be seen at every turn in God of War 2.

graffix13

GoW 1 is the best GoW for me. It's in my All Time Top 5.

GoW 2 is great too, but the ending really killed it for me.

I played 1-3 for the first time just last year after that trailer at E3 got me hyped.

All three of those games are great I even played DOOM (2016) in between 2 and 3.

Oh man, it was a fantastic series of really fun, violent ass video games.

I remember I saw GoW 1 at Gamestop right after release and just from the cover art and pics on the back I bought it.I loved the look of Kratos and Greek mythology but when I got to the Hydra fight I knew the bar had been raised that it was something special.

Part 1 and 2 HD are on Vita such a shame we didnt get more PS2 remakes on Vita.

Canadian

I started the GoW series only this year. I played through 1, 2, 3, and Ghost of Sparta, in that order. In my opinion: 2>3>GoS>1

I enjoyed the series, but by the time I got to GoS the formula was getting a little tiresome. Really glad I got to play GoW2, it was a really great game and still holds up.

Part 1 and 2 HD are on Vita such a shame we didnt get more PS2 remakes on Vita.

That's how I experienced GoW 1 & 2. I wish Vita had gotten more support, I'm a little late on the bandwagon but I really like the handheld. I'm looking forward to playing through the Vita's library.

Top Bottom