• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX Remix released and apparently open source.

hlm666

RTX remix has been released with source available on github.

Some work on Half Life 2 already started by the look.

91062_03_half-life-2-path-tracing-mod-via-rtx-remix-looks-amazing-in-new-screenshots_full.jpg

left 4 dead with full ray or path traced GI would be really cool, being able to see other peoples flashlights is something I always wanted in that game. If it ever happens will be a good excuse to run through a bunch of the mod campaigns created since I last played it.

hlm666

Someone remix Morrowind plzzzzz.
That was the game nvidia demoed the announcement with, you should eventually get what you want just not sure if we should expect it from nvidia like portal or if modders will pick up the baton.

If the community and such start implementing this into emulators I will be very happy.

I hope we start seeing mods or whatever, for any game, to take advantage of this
There has been a few mods of other games using the rtx portal dlls to raytrace other games like jedi academy, soulreaver and quite a few other attempts. They all had problems though because they were shoe horning the rtx dlls into those games. This should make those attempts much more successful.

here's what they managed to do with wow using the portal rtx files.

Last edited:

Comandr

That was the game nvidia demoed the announcement with, you should eventually get what you want just not sure if we should expect it from nvidia like portal or if modders will pick up the baton.

There has been a few mods of other games using the rtx portal dlls to raytrace other games like jedi academy, soulreaver and quite a few other attempts. They all had problems though because they were shoe horning the rtx dlls into those games. This should make those attempts much more successful.

here's what they managed to do with wow using the portal rtx files.

Christ some of this stuff is amazing. Can’t see what people do with it in the next couple of years.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
BTW for AMD/intel Linux guys the modding tool itself is Nvidia only but the raytracing isn't, its actually in a vulkan wrapper so you can enjoy these mods too

Though with the RT performance on AMD hardware it's likely not gonna be a very good experience without FSR, lmao

I'm glad, HL2 really needs these lighting upgrades as the lighting in that game is just.... eugh, so flat and boring

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We're going to need a thread for when these start popping up. I can make it just not sure when anything will be out or even a tech demo/sample from Nvidia in a game like they showed for the unveil.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Maybe I am stupid, but I cant see rtx remix has been released?

I cant seem to download it from anywhere, and on nvidia page it says "notify me"

Buggy Loop

Assassin's Creed Unity path traced interiors please

Too new, it's a DX11 game.

RTX remix works on dx8 and dx9 games that used fixed function pipelines.

They basically hijack the game's communication to the API, strip it in a container, replace the materials and lighting system, enhance geometry, AI the textures, etc, then send it back in the pipeline

neil patrick harris television GIF

Shouldn't even be possible to mod this deep of a level without the game code being open source. It's like motherfucking Tom Cruise grabbing on to a plane to hijack it.

mission impossible news GIF

Banned
Maybe I am stupid, but I cant see rtx remix has been released?

I cant seem to download it from anywhere, and on nvidia page it says "notify me"

currently it's only the source code for their Portal RTX version I think, and the actual tool is coming out soon

Nvidia has done an amazing job making raytracing happen. Nobody would give a shit about it if it wasn't for those 2000 cards in 2018.

But you gotta start somewhere. raytracing is the future and it really needed that kick start. Now we have a major AAA title (cyberpunk) with pathtracing and it is actually playable (I can run it at 60-100fps). i can't wait to see more game use raytracing this way. We've come a long way from only having RTX shadows/reflections in a crappy Battlefield game lol.

Mirror's Edge... gimme Mirror's Edge!

which was in the Nvidia leak btw... so maybe there will even be an offical RTX mod like with Portal
those games would be amazing with raytracing

i found this video which looks great. i don't know how it was made but it's still impressive. an RTX Remix would be even better

Last edited:

Verchod

What about using it on one of the Thief games, a game where the lighting is a powerful tool. Guess they're all too old for this

hlm666

What about using it on one of the Thief games, a game where the lighting is a powerful tool. Guess they're all too old for this
Thief gold says it uses dx7 on the steam store and unless it's changed lately I think only dx8 and dx9 are supported.

Banned
those games would be amazing with raytracing

i found this video which looks great. i don't know how it was made but it's still impressive. an RTX Remix would be even better

looks like Unreal Engine...

but god damn, that video makes me drool 🤤
and he even used the atrium puzzle for the demonstration, which has my favourite track on the ost.

hlm666

looks like Unreal Engine...

but god damn, that video makes me drool 🤤
and he even used the atrium puzzle for the demonstration, which has my favourite track on the ost.
yeh it is, he says it in the description.

"This level is reconstructed in Unreal Engine 4 with ray tracing enabled.
All shadows and reflections are ray traced in realtime. GI is baked."

Last edited:

CuNi

Side by side comparison of remix nfs underground 2, some issues with lights being culled as soon as off screen but still a decent visual upgrade.

he fixed the light culling in the latest update

Could make for a great Renaissance of old gems when more modders jump onto RTX Remix.
It obviously doesn't hold up against a direct remake, but it doesn't look like it's a game that came out 20 years ago either.

It has those "Unreal Engine Fan Remake"-vibes to it, but it's a fully playable game instead, which I think is awesome!

hlm666

Could make for a great Renaissance of old gems when more modders jump onto RTX Remix.
It obviously doesn't hold up against a direct remake, but it doesn't look like it's a game that came out 20 years ago either.

It has those "Unreal Engine Fan Remake"-vibes to it, but it's a fully playable game instead, which I think is awesome!
Yeh they need to update the assets like nvidia did with portal to get the biggest visual upgrade, but just using the old assets and textures still getting some decent results.

oh boy, the amount of remasters and remakes is already a bit much, but the next gen machines will probably just sell those mods as new games and no creatives for an entire gen needed, just some modders and port studios.

CamHostage

i want path traced splinter cell

i want to see how the shadows would look if they were lit more accurately

...Badly, unfortunately, I would think?

Splinter Cell is built on tricks and carefully directed lighting effect placement; it looks "real" and right because it's so stylized and light sources are (what they call in the movies) motivated by visible lights that you believe it. In reality, it's a big Hollywood set, with immensely overpowered lights and with visible lights placed in a scene to pretend they're giving the big bloom you're seeing and with overcontrasty shadows that wouldn't really be there from the scene's actual lights unless a lighting director hadn't thought they looked cool. If you had to actually use the lights that are really there to illuminate the space you really see, I imagine all the cinematic tricks would fall apart.

But maybe it could work out, if you still oversweetened the lights and replicated the effects in some ways? If you by hand re-created the effects that raytracking would probably blow out or de-specialize, it could be cool.

Looking at some of the early RTX Remix and a SC Raytraced sample, I'm seeing it not working out the way you imagined it would, but these are still experiments; a few tweaks and maybe it could work better than not.

Last edited:

hlm666

Seeing there seems to be some interest about it i'll post what I was going to the other day.

and here's a list of whats in progress, obviously not all will be completed but there are more than a few in there I hope make good progress.

Last edited:

hlm666

From Day -1, Nvidia said it would be open source lol
This is what they said. They never said you were going to have open source access to their black box rendering tech, is a modder really going to be able to improve those libraries? anyone capable can write their own renderer or should approach nvidia/amd/intel for a job. Intel doesn't let you access the xess AI black box dlls either, and they claim open source.

"The core path tracer, which includes the rendering loop, the material handling, and the game specific rendering features (e.g., decals and particles). Please note, the various technologies (DLSS, NRD, RTXDI) that accelerate our path tracer and enable it to render in real time will continue to be available via their existing SDKs and licenses from the NVIDIA Developer portal."

If you want to modify the tools so they can work on a problematic game that's what is open source. It wasn't for amd and intel to be able to take a look at their homework.

CGNoire

??
Unity has baked GI and no dynamic ToD. It already looks raytraced.
Yep it would only enhance dynamic objects ...characters mostly.

People get so often confused about this subject. Its not gonna make enviroments that already had an offline GI bake look any better. In fact it will most likely make those enviroments look worse. For games with enviroments that are completely dynamicly lit like skyrim etc it would make a massive difference.

poodaddy

An impressive technical showcase for the software, but that particular example decimates the games original art style completely and it's not really flattering. Complete color grading change, the fog effect from the original is absolutely ruined. This is not an improvement on the look of the original, in fact it butchers it. Still think the software is very impressive though.

Top Bottom