• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Apple is pulling the plug on iTunes, replacing with music, podcast and appleTV apps

CyberPanda

Banned
iTunes — the media management software that everyone loves to hate — may finally be approaching death’s door. Apple is reportedly set to break up the software into separate Music, TV, and Podcasts apps in the next version of macOS, according to both Guilherme Rambo at 9to5Mac and Steve Troughton-Smith.

The new apps are said to be Marzipan applications, similar to the Apple News app on the Mac, which will share an overarching design and codebase with their iOS counterparts on the iPhone and iPad. The Music app would presumably be focused on offering a home for the Apple Music service away from the baggage of iTunes. The TV app, of course, would be a place for Apple’s upcoming Apple TV Plus service to live, and the Podcasts app would get podcasts, of course. Books, which already has its own app on macOS, is also potentially getting a similar Marzipan redesign that would bring it more in line with the updated app that Apple released with iOS 12 last fall.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/...JtnrNOSb784EbyTe8aK8vikK2L0fRk6La5Pb1Ri3kdiYQ

Shifty

Good I guess. As software goes it's pretty bloated what with trying to be everything at once.

Just gotta hope that the resulting subset apps aren't also bad.

Chittagong

Gold Member
About fucking time. Since the era of MP3s and buying music has passed, having a mess of an app with a bit of everything has been crap. As long as you have stayed in the Apple Music tab it’s been passable, but that garbage around the interface has still been there.

Also, one code base for OSX and iOS should help the apps become better

LMJ

Oh iTunes I remember back when I bought the OG Touch how awesome you were, click and drag functionality, easy to navigate and fairly small, but then the Jobs ego took over, everything became proprietary and convoluted...

Sadly after Jobs' demise Cook hasn't done anything to fix it...so hopefully this will be a breath of fresh air for your many customers

TimFL

If the current Marzipan apps are anything to go by, I don't want it. The, for example, News and Home apps are some of the laziest apps I've seen. They look like a direct port from iOS, bloated up to the maximum. I mean the News source picker popup is so tiny on my 15" screen, it's hard to navigate.

If that's the future of macOS, I certainly don't want it. I just hope that all the Marzipan apps they added with Mojave get a proper refresh to implement some non-lazy macOS UI elements.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Great news. iTunes is a bloated and clunky piece of software.

Lighten them all up, and more user friendly with no accidental library wipes when syncing.

Shifty

If the current Marzipan apps are anything to go by, I don't want it. The, for example, News and Home apps are some of the laziest apps I've seen. They look like a direct port from iOS, bloated up to the maximum. I mean the News source picker popup is so tiny on my 15" screen, it's hard to navigate.

If that's the future of macOS, I certainly don't want it. I just hope that all the Marzipan apps they added with Mojave get a proper refresh to implement some non-lazy macOS UI elements.
It almost sounds as if MacOS is having its own UWP let's-port-the-fisher-price-tier-mobile-apps-to-desktop renaissance.

giphy.gif

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh iTunes is a fucking turd. I will never understand why you can't just plug your god-damned phone into your PC and use it as a USB stick, like you can with android, and thus actually move files over in the traditional way. Nope, you have to use iTunes, that shit died out with those old fucking mp3 players back in the day, Apple never moved on. iTunes makes zero sense, it's horribly user-unfriendly, slow, it's just a nasty piece of software.

Ovek

7Member7

Don't bet on it, a shitty iOS Marzipan port would still be better than iTunes. :messenger_winking:

Ovek

7Member7
No. At least iTunes has normal scroll speed with a mouse. News is always slow as heck, no matter what setting.

Well you might be in luck as Marzipan is supposed to be getting a bit of a overhaul in macOS 10.15 as that is the launch of Apple "glorious" vision of cross-platform compatibility and one more step in preventing macOS running apps that aren't from the App Store.

Again wouldn't bet on it, I would start looking at the prices of Windows computers... Lenovo are good.

Nymphae

Banned
They fucking better not. One of the only things I enjoy about Apple these days is the Internet Radio section of iTunes. I'm actually surprised they keep it there, it's just a way for me to avoid the apple ecosystems for music.

They have a great selection of stations and genres, and for some reason, nearly all of them work on my computer at work even though all streaming is blocked. I listen to a lot of SOMA FM through itunes, as all of th streams from SOMA itself are blocked.

Good it will be the best thing Apple has done in years, iTunes is a bloated slow piece of shit and has been for many years.

The recent dev buld for MacOS 10.15 includes icons for the three separate apps.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/10/macos-10-15-music-podcasts-apps/

Great.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
As long as it's better than iTunes sure. It shouldn't be so hard to get stuff from your account that you don't have downloaded

daveonezero

Banned
iTunes sucks but I do not like that solution. I use iTunes right now to sync music on my phone and full phone back-up. I'm not sure how more apps will fix the issues.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I just want my iPhone to work like any old usb memory stick... or any other phone. Just let me stick the damn cable in, open the storage in windows, and drop my damn mp3s there.

I refuse to use iTunes because I just don’t get it. I’m not thick or anything, but the number of times I’ve lost apps, or ring tones, or something went wrong... it’s just a pile of shit that needs updating almost as much as steam, and that’s a fucking challenge.

Top Bottom