• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion and The Legend of Zelda are being adapted ibto films

What IP are you most excited to see translated in a film?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Luigi's Mansion

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Super Mario Bros 2

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Nautilus

Banned
We all knew Nintendo would continue with this for a couple of their IPs, even before the Mario movie, but the enourmous success of the Mario Movie must have accelerated everything.

Its a rumor, so as with all rumours, take it with a grain of salt, but he says the next films will be Super Mario Bros 2, Donkey Kong, Luigis Mansion and Zelda.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Luigi’s Mansion was the first thing in my mind post the Super Mario Bros. movie. The cutscenes in those games already feel like animated movies.
james franco GIF

Zelda could be fun but feels risky/like it could easily turn out horrible.

I don’t care much for a DK movie. He’s barely an OK side character as is.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oooh boy they found a money-making formula. Now they’re going to try and repeat it over and over until we are sick to death of it.

Anyway I hope for a 2 1/2 hour live-action Zelda movie, with race-swapped Link and girlboss Zelda.

Nautilus

Banned
Luigi’s Mansion was the first thing in my mind post the Super Mario Bros. movie. The cutscenes in those games already feel like animated movies.
james franco GIF

Zelda could be fun but feels risky/like it could easily turn out horrible.

I don’t care much for a DK movie. He’s barely an OK side character as is.
Yeah, I feel the same.

Zelda's film could be amazing, but seeing that it will need to be a different kind of film(more moody instead of comedic) its much more uncertain. While Luigi's Mansion fit like a glove with Illuminations style. The Mario Movie already hinted heavily towards it(Same for DK). And honestly, Luigi deserves better.

DK is something that would simply be more of the same as the Mario movie, which wouldn't interest me much... Unless they decide to go the Country route, making King K Roll and the Kremlings as the villains(Which would make too much sense), and that would increase my interest greatly.

00_Zer0

I chose Zelda, but I hope that Illumination can change up their typical art style to make a believable Zelda universe. No doubt they have the talent to do it, but I don't want to get a Despicable Me or Minions vibe when watching this movie.

Nautilus

Banned
I chose Zelda, but I hope that Illumination can change up their typical art style to make a believable Zelda universe. No doubt they have the talent to do it, but I don't want to get a Despicable Me or Minions vibe when watching this movie.
I think they just recently opened a studio that focuses on more mature animations. Hopefully that's the Illuminations studio that will helm it.

Edit: Here it is:

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think they just recently opened a studio that focuses on more mature animations. Hopefully that's the Illuminations studio that will helm it.

Edit: Here it is:

Hmm I didn’t know about this. Hope it works out.

Last thing I want from these movies is to be another typical “good enough for kids” Illumination product that succeeds by cramming in every nostalgic reference they can think of. (Not that that would keep me from going to see it with my kids….. sigh)

Nautilus

Banned
Hmm I didn’t know about this. Hope it works out.

Last thing I want from these movies is to be another typical “good enough for kids” Illumination product that succeeds by cramming in every nostalgic reference they can think of. (Not that that would keep me from going to see it with my kids….. sigh)
Yeah. Illumination's usual style is more than fine for Mario, Luigi's Mansion or DK. But for Zelda? Or a future Metroid/Xenoblade/Pokemon/Smash Bros/Fire Emblem/etc? Nah, it wouldn't work.

They would need to adapt to what those franchises require. Which hopefully is what this studio might be able to fill.

Nautilus

Banned

Rumor: Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion and The Legend of Zelda are being adapted LGBT films​

i swear this is how i read the title on this thread
After the Mario movie, and knowing that Nintendo will be more and more invested and directly involved with the film projects, I highly doubt it.

Time for some rampant speculation:

Remember how in the past, there were talks of Disney purchasing Nintendo?

Well, Disney's current market cap is 169B, with current+long term debt standing at 63B USD.

It's not inconceivable to see Disney divesting themselves of Star Wars, Marvel, Fox, ESPN and more in the near future.

If Disney & Nintendo continue along their current trajectory, and Nintendo become the undisputed kings of Hollywood as they are primed to doing, there is actually more chance of Nintendo owning Disney than the other way around.

Nintendo's market cap today is 57B USD and debt-free.

Nintendo probably wouldn't even want Disney as there is just simply too much baggage there, but it's still fairly interesting to see how far the mighty Disney has fallen with no end in sight.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think this is a bad idea. Super Mario Bros made a ton of money because it was novel. We don't need a Nintendo cinematic universe. We don't need any cinematic universes.

At the very least if they do go ahead with this they need to focus on the quality of the movie a lot more than dousing the movie with memes and references. Especially with LOZ.

Nautilus

Banned
Time for some rampant speculation:

Remember how in the past, there were talks of Disney purchasing Nintendo?

Well, Disney's current market cap is 169B, with current+long term debt standing at 63B USD.

It's not inconceivable to see Disney divesting themselves of Star Wars, Marvel, Fox, ESPN and more in the near future.

If Disney & Nintendo continue along their current trajectory, and Nintendo become the undisputed kings of Hollywood as they are primed to doing, there is actually more chance of Nintendo owning Disney than the other way around.

Nintendo's market cap today is 57B USD and debt-free.

Nintendo probably wouldn't even want Disney as there is just simply too much baggage there, but it's still fairly interesting to see how far the mighty Disney has fallen with no end in sight.

Edit: Typo
That would be deliciously ironic, and honestly Nintendo would be one of the only companies out there that would have a realistic chance to set Disney back on the right track.

But like you said, theres too much baggage, and Nintendo is not interested in that type of acquisition.

Nautilus

Banned
I think this is a bad idea. Super Mario Bros made a ton of money because it was novel. We don't need a Nintendo cinematic universe. We don't need any cinematic universes.

At the very least if they do go ahead with this they need to focus on the quality of the movie a lot more than dousing the movie with memes and references. Especially with LOZ.
Its not a garantee they are ramping all up to a Smash Bros. And honestly, considering that Nintendo is at the helm of the films initiatives, I wouldn't worry.

Rockondevil

I’d rather Luigi’s Mansion but I wouldn’t be sad about Zelda either.
If any did happen I could see Luigi’s Mansion as they’ve got actors for some of the characters now.

kondorBonk

I'd rather see much more of Charlie Day so Luigi's Mansion gets my vote.
As much as I love Zelda... I don't know if I want it translated to film...

Doom85

DK is something that would simply be more of the same as the Mario movie, which wouldn't interest me much... Unless they decide to go the Country route, making King K Roll and the Kremlings as the villains(Which would make too much sense), and that would increase my interest greatly.

I mean, the Country route seems a given since Kranky was in the Mario movie, and Diddy and Dixie make brief appearances.

Fbh

It's crazy that Tom Holland is both Spider Man and Link.
Now they just need to cast him as Goku in Dragon Ball Evolution 2 and he'll have played all my childhood heroes.

MiguelItUp

If they're the exact same quality as Super Mario Bros... I don't really think I want it. Visually, the movie was great. The Easter eggs, the nods, everything. But everything else was so.... forgettable. I'm concerned they're all just going to be phoned in cause why not?

At least the others would be fine tonally, but man do I think Zelda is out of their reach. I wouldn't want them to load it full of ridiculous gags and random pop-culture songs like they did Super Mario Bros, lol. These universes have SO much incredible music, and it's wild that in SMB it STILL felt underutilized. A-ha, AC/DC, Beastie Boys, and more are fine, just.... not here IMO. Just give us renditions of the amazing game soundtracks.

Top Bottom