• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales FLASHBACK: Top Selling 3DO Games in NA (and Japan)

Yes. Still no additional 60fps games. I’m starting to think there are 2-3 titles in total that are 60.

Again you seem to be trying to tarnish the 3DO with around 120 games you've seen out of a over 400 game library. I don't know why you can't wait until we actually explore further.

Did you check Rush N' Fire because the Japanese box says 60 FPS on the back though it could mean something other than frame rate since there's other text attached to it.

Anyway, still many more games to go.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Again you seem to be trying to tarnish the 3DO with around 120 games you've seen out of a over 400 game library. I don't know why you can't wait until we actually explore further.

Did you check Rush N' Fire because the Japanese box says 60 FPS on the back though it could mean something other than frame rate since there's other text attached to it.

Anyway, still many more games to go.
I’ve tested a lot more games. I’ve been grabbing tons of isos. Rush N’ Fire is where the ‘3’ comes from since it might be but I’ve not been able to find it.

I’m not trying to tarnish anything, though. Just pointing out that the system isn’t really well suited to high frame-rate games. I’m extrapolating based on what I have tested. Evidence suggests that it’s a real weak point.

I’m trying to set the record straight, basically.

The whole thing started from this notion that 3DO can compete with Saturn and PS1 and I’m saying it cannot. That’s not an insult, though, it’s an older machine. It was amazing for its day and it’s still super fascinating. Again, I wouldn’t own multiple 3DO consoles, a ton of games on disc and have shelled out for the USB board if I didn’t care.

Last edited:
The whole thing started from this notion that 3DO can compete with Saturn and PS1 and I’m saying it cannot. That’s not an insult, though, it’s an older machine. It was amazing for its day and it’s still super fascinating. Again, I wouldn’t own multiple 3DO consoles, a ton of games on disc and have shelled out for the USB board if I didn’t care.

Actually no, the ONE person that made the claim the 3DO can compete was squashed earlier, the conversation we are in now came from you kind of being a bit over negative on the 3DO.

I never disagreed with frame-rate not being a strong point but you seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions while looking at less than half the library and are basically already writing it odd before you get there which is a little weird for someone who says that cares about the system.

There's still many 3DO games to go patience is key.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
3DO is an interesting system and is quite underrated today. I would expect it to have more of a cult following than it currently has, but that might change. It arrived at a strange mid-point between the 16-bit and 32-bit generations and never could fit into either very well. Based on your experience, the console was either ahead or behind the curve.

For 1993, the hardware was very impressive, but the $700 retail price just killed it. The idea of a consortium of hardware providers also greatly restricted its ability to adapt to the marketplace. Sony was watching very closely and taking notes, no doubt. By the time 3DO was down to $300, Saturn and Playstation were set to arrive with more powerful systems supported by blockbuster arcade hits like Daytona USA and Ridge Racer. The writing was on the wall.

That said, I always felt that 3DO went out with its strongest software titles. The system was just hitting its stride at the end, and much like Saturn and Dreamcast, more time was needed to continue the momentum. Unfortunately, there just weren't enough hits to keep the gaming public happy.

That period of 1993-95 is very interesting, because you have all these machines competing for this new uncharted territory and there were no clear winners. You had Genesis and Super NES competing fiercely, while at the margins lay Sega CD, 32X, CD-i, 3DO, Jaguar, Pippen, with Playstation and Saturn on the horizon and Nintendo's mythical "Project 64" in the clouds. All that was needed were hit games that would make the kids want to jump from their 16-bit consoles to the next generation.

3DO never found its breakout hit, ala Super Mario 64, Virtua Fighter 2 or Tomb Raider, although there were some very respectable moments that turned heads, such as FIFA, Need For Speed and Road Rash. Again, too many hardware publishers, too few software developers and very few arcade hits.

Overall, a very respectable games system, a bit too unfocused and ambitious to be successful, but such is the fate of pioneers.

dark10x

Actually no, the ONE person that made the claim the 3DO can compete was squashed earlier, the conversation we are in now came from you kind of being a bit over negative on the 3DO.

I never disagreed with frame-rate not being a strong point but you seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions while looking at less than half the library and are basically already writing it odd before you get there which is a little weird for someone who says that cares about the system.

There's still many 3DO games to go patience is key.
I think this shows how perception can vary. You think I’m being negative about 3DO but I’m really just looking at it through an understanding on how the hardware works. I’m not intending to slam it.

What do you expect I’ll find then? Do you think there are a bunch of obscure 3DO games all running at 60fps that I’ve somehow missed? Would be interesting but knowing how the hardware is designed, I am skeptical.

3DO is an interesting system and is quite underrated today. I would expect it to have more of a cult following than it currently has,

It's frequently talked about, has numerous emulation project,s and a home brew scene.

By the time 3DO was down to $300, Saturn and Playstation were set to arrive with more powerful systems supported by blockbuster arcade hits like Daytona USA and Ridge Racer. The writing was on the wall.

Actually the 3DO sold the most during that early 95-97 time frame, because the price was low. Daytona also wasn't a blockbuster hit on the Saturn.

That said, I always felt that 3DO went out with its strongest software titles. The system was just hitting its stride at the end, and much like Saturn and Dreamcast, more time was needed to continue the momentum.

I agree with this but one of the main reasons why 3DO couldn't continue with it's lower price, semi-high quality output at the end was money. Nintendo has two gens of worth in its war chess for the N64 and had the GB line to fall back on and Sony was at that time, one of the top 20 biggest companies. 3DO couldn't afford to lose money and the manufactueres were ALREADY losing money. Sega would eventually end up in a similar position. Shame really.

3DO never found its breakout hit, ala Super Mario 64, Virtua Fighter 2 or Tomb Raider, although there were some very respectable moments that turned heads, such as FIFA, Need For Speed and Road Rash. Again, too many hardware publishers, too few software developers and very few arcade hits.

Overall, a very respectable games system,

Gex was the breakout hit, heck VF2 wasn't only a breakout hit in Japan. The issue isn't that the 3DO has no breakout hits, it had the same issue the Genesis had (first-party wise) and that was having only ONE breakout hit.

Don't undersell Gex, it was the headline game during the price drops and was the main force behind the success so much so that 3DO started bundling it because their research showed the results. (though it flopped massively in japan for some reason, but D ended up taking its place their)

While Fifa NFS, and Street Fighter II Turbo were good, outside SFii in Japan, those games didn't move that many systems anywhere else. They moved a respectable amount but 3DO wasn't going to reach more than a couple million sales with just the games in the OP (sales numbers are in the OP).

Crash N' Burn did well but that was because it was the head turning game that launched with the console, and would have done a lot better if the minimal 3DO price was lower than $500/$700.

3DO has several "platinum" titles of selling 250,000 and more but a good chunk of that sold to the install base and wouldn't move that many units.

3DO really needed like 5 Gex level games in terms of break out hits, and a few more Fifa/SFii level games. But you never know what games will stick and what games won't that's how the industry is. Sony and later Microsoft in 2001 handled that a lot better for new entrants (granted Xbox also lost a lot of money throwing various things at the wall to see what sticks but they ended up getting several successes out of it and actually ended up beating a veteran by doing so.)

Last edited:
I think this shows how perception can vary. You think I’m being negative about 3DO but I’m really just looking at it through an understanding on how the hardware works. I’m not intending to slam it.

What do you expect I’ll find then? Do you think there are a bunch of obscure 3DO games all running at 60fps that I’ve somehow missed? Would be interesting but knowing how the hardware is designed, I am skeptical.

You'll find a handful of 60fps games, which you said you enjoy. So it will by effect, increase your enjoy of the system even more. I'm sure some people got into the hardware and tried to get 60fps. Not everyone on the 3DO was trying to make overly ambitious 3D games or 2D games. The prototype for MGS was 60fps before it was moved to the PSX. Though they never showed what the game visually looked like, though we know it was 3D at least.

dark10x

You'll find a handful of 60fps games, which you said you enjoy. So it will by effect, increase your enjoy of the system even more. I'm sure some people got into the hardware and tried to get 60fps. Not everyone on the 3DO was trying to make overly ambitious 3D games or 2D games. The prototype for MGS was 60fps before it was moved to the PSX. Though they never showed what the game visually looked like, though we know it was 3D at least.
Well, I was more insinuating that 3DO isn’t designed for 60fps 2D games which were the standard on consoles at the time. Basically everything on SNES and Genesis is 60fps with a few ex exceptions.

In 3D, I don’t expect 60 but I would like at least above 20 which isn’t common.

I have started to enjoy it more due to the 240p option becoming possible. What a difference that makes!

Last edited:
Well, I was more insinuating that 3DO isn’t designed for 60fps 2D games which were the standard on consoles at the time. Basically everything on SNES and Genesis is 60fps with a few ex exceptions.

In 3D, I don’t expect 60 but I would like at least above 20 which isn’t common.

I have started to enjoy it more due to the 240p option becoming possible. What a difference that makes!

Well, there could be more 3D 60fps games so we'll see.

You already got two new 30fps 3D games, Stellar 7 and Iron Angle 2, I don't know if Iron Angle 1 is also 3ofps. Best part is they are first-person shooters so you have more options than killing time.

There are cables that make the 480i more tolerable that should be something you could look into.

dark10x

Well, there could be more 3D 60fps games so we'll see.

You already got two new 30fps 3D games, Stellar 7 and Iron Angle 2, I don't know if Iron Angle 1 is also 3ofps. Best part is they are first-person shooters so you have more options than killing time.

There are cables that make the 480i more tolerable that should be something you could look into.
Heh, I kinda feel like you're not actually listening to me! Ha ha.

I don't need cables to make 480i more tolerable. I'm already running a 3DO in 240p mode over RGB which looks vastly superior to 480i. 480i on 3DO is a huge mistake since no game renders at that resolution but it's not a problem for me since I've overcome it and play everything at native resolution. It's great stuff!

I already have Stellar 7 - that's not new and it's not locked 30fps but it's close enough!

Iron Angel 2 does run smooth enough but it's pretty obvious why - it's very very simple. Basically a Wolfenstein clone with single height floors, 90 degree angles and maze-like level design. Still neat to see, though. It runs better than Alien vs Predator on the Jag at least!

The thing is - I've complained about frame-rate but I can deal with it in plenty of games. I still enjoy NFS, Road Rash, Immercenary, Return Fire and the like on 3DO. They're all choppy but still playable.

I'm looking at it more from an academic standpoint now. Also, you should check out the USB board from Mnemo as it massively improves loading times.

Heh, I kinda feel like you're not actually listening to me! Ha ha.

I don't need cables to make 480i more tolerable. I'm already running a 3DO in 240p mode over RGB which looks vastly superior to 480i. 480i on 3DO is a huge mistake since no game renders at that resolution but it's not a problem for me since I've overcome it and play everything at native resolution. It's great stuff!

I already have Stellar 7 - that's not new and it's not locked 30fps but it's close enough!

Iron Angel 2 does run smooth enough but it's pretty obvious why - it's very very simple. Basically a Wolfenstein clone with single height floors, 90 degree angles and maze-like level design. Still neat to see, though. It runs better than Alien vs Predator on the Jag at least!

The thing is - I've complained about frame-rate but I can deal with it in plenty of games. I still enjoy NFS, Road Rash, Immercenary, Return Fire and the like on 3DO. They're all choppy but still playable.

I'm looking at it more from an academic standpoint now. Also, you should check out the USB board from Mnemo as it massively improves loading times.

With the right costume cables, 480i looks better than 240p that's why I suggested it.

Also there are 2D fps shooters that run worse than Iron Angle so I considered that 3ofps to be impressive for a semi-2D FPS.

Also there you go about the Jag again. Jag would be a console I'd agree with being too early for 3D, and a case to study for avoiding bad architectural design (Too bad Sega didn't take notes for the Saturn and did a similar thing.)

World Tour Racing is an impressive Jag games though, to bad it half the graphics are overly blurry and the game runs way to slow. Jag is more of a 2D machine, games like Power Rally and Super Burnout, even Rayman, all good 2D.

dark10x

With the right costume cables, 480i looks better than 240p that's why I suggested it.

Also there are 2D fps shooters that run worse than Iron Angle so I considered that 3ofps to be impressive for a semi-2D FPS.

Also there you go about the Jag again. Jag would be a console I'd agree with being too early for 3D, and a case to study for avoiding bad architectural design (Too bad Sega didn't take notes for the Saturn and did a similar thing.)

World Tour Racing is an impressive Jag games though, to bad it half the graphics are overly blurry and the game runs way to slow. Jag is more of a 2D machine, games like Power Rally and Super Burnout, even Rayman, all good 2D.
Why would 480i look better? The system's native framebuffer is 320x240. Interpolating that to 480i introduces flickering and reduces sharpness.. I'm playing 3DO on a professional CRT monitor which produces a nice picture with 3DO in 480i but 240p looks dramatically better (and you can switch between them in real-time). If you use an upscaler or line doubler like the OSSC or Framemeister, however, it destroys pixel art and creates a less attractive image. If you care about visual quality then you'd want to use 240p mode - which is an official option on many Japanese FZ-1 units. I modded my original FZ-1 with this feature but I also have the Japanese 3DO with this switch included on the rear of the system.

I'm not even sure what cables you could suggest. The system only supports s-video natively and no cable is going to solve the interlacing issue.

Why wouldn't you just run at the system's native resolution? I believe this choice was made to suit multimedia content like VCDs but it has a detrimental effect on games. Seriously, you should look into this. It really makes a big difference.

What sort of display do you play your 3DO on?

Here, my good friends at My Life in Gaming did a feature on this 240p switch (and I provided some of the capture and filmed bits).

Last edited:
Why would 480i look better? The system's native framebuffer is 320x240. Interpolating that to 480i introduces flickering and reduces sharpness..

The custom cable fixes a lot of issues with the 480i display while also allowing for texture image quality to go up. Some people still think it looks worse some think it looks better.

I believe this choice was made to suit multimedia content like VCDs but it has a detrimental effect on games. Seriously, you should look into this. It really makes a big difference.

Actually it was done for FMV's, and there was an old business magazine interview that I read suggested just that. FMV was a big deal at the time the 3DO was announced and even to a lesser extent, after it was brought by Samsung (hardware division) in 97. A lot of people like to revise history in retrospect on FMV's but FMV"s were popular and sold well back then and was a valid selling point.

It also works well for hybrid FMV games that also had a mix of sprites and/or polygon models, because games like Pyramid Intruder, at least to me, look like garbage in 240p, relatively.

dark10x

The custom cable fixes a lot of issues with the 480i display while also allowing for texture image quality to go up. Some people still think it looks worse some think it looks better.

Actually it was done for FMV's, and there was an old business magazine interview that I read suggested just that. FMV was a big deal at the time the 3DO was announced and even to a lesser extent, after it was brought by Samsung (hardware division) in 97. A lot of people like to revise history in retrospect on FMV's but FMV"s were popular and sold well back then and was a valid selling point.

It also works well for hybrid FMV games that also had a mix of sprites and/or polygon models, because games like Pyramid Intruder, at least to me, look like garbage in 240p, relatively.
...but that doesn't make sense. The system isn't rendering at 480i. The games are still 320x240. It's basically 'scaling' them to 480i. No detail is gained - the method used for interpolation actually introduces additional artefacts. It doesn't make sense for FMV games either since, again, they do not take advantage of 480i - they are rendered to a 320x240 framebuffer (but the video files themselves are usually lower res). They don't store interlaced video on the disc. It doesn't improve texture quality - the internal resolution is still 240p.

What is this custom cable then? Also, what monitor are you using for 3DO games? Which model 3DO? Do you have the 240p switch?

Last edited:
...but that doesn't make sense. The system isn't rendering at 480i. The games are still 320x240. It's basically 'scaling' them to 480i. No detail is gained. It doesn't make sense for FMV games either since, again, they do not take advantage of 480i - they are rendered to a 320x240 framebuffer (but the video files themselves are usually lower res). They don't store interlaced video on the disc. It doesn't improve texture quality - the internal resolution is still 240p.

What is this custom cable then? Also, what monitor are you using for 3DO games? Which model 3DO? Do you have the 240p switch?

Image quality of 480i with normal 3DO cables in box doesn't look good but with custom cables it looks better. Not sure where the confusion part is coming from. I'm using by old HD CRt to play 3DO games btw.

As for FMV's, yes they don't take advantage of FMV's, (well outside some games because Pyramid Intruder looks better imo in 480i than 240p but that's a different thing) however there was supposed to me be a product that would help with that.

One thing people forget about the 3DO in terms of the companies goals with the console for the first 2.5 years was that the 3DO was supposed to be this super multimedia device with a ton of devices and add ons that would create the ultimate experience, similar to the CD-i although the end goals were slightly different. This is why the Digital Video add-on was made.

However most of the promised stuff didn't really happen and 3DO started putting more focus on games, thankfully early enough to have a few years of great titles in the second half. But yeah, the original vision didn't really pan out. So, as a result 480i was ultimately pointless in the end. Of course, on the other hand that may have been for the best.

dark10x

Image quality of 480i with normal 3DO cables in box doesn't look good but with custom cables it looks better. Not sure where the confusion part is coming from. I'm using by old HD CRt to play 3DO games btw.

As for FMV's, yes they don't take advantage of FMV's, (well outside some games because Pyramid Intruder looks better imo in 480i than 240p but that's a different thing) however there was supposed to me be a product that would help with that.

One thing people forget about the 3DO in terms of the companies goals with the console for the first 2.5 years was that the 3DO was supposed to be this super multimedia device with a ton of devices and add ons that would create the ultimate experience, similar to the CD-i although the end goals were slightly different. This is why the Digital Video add-on was made.

However most of the promised stuff didn't really happen and 3DO started putting more focus on games, thankfully early enough to have a few years of great titles in the second half. But yeah, the original vision didn't really pan out. So, as a result 480i was ultimately pointless in the end. Of course, on the other hand that may have been for the best.
I would never have used the cables in the box. I was using an s-video cable but have since modded my system for RGB SCART input into a Sony PVM monitor. It’s basically best case.

Which HD CRT are you using specifically? Your 3DO definitely has the 240p switch?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I really liked this console at the time, Was really impressive for the time, sure frame rates aren't that impressive but i didn't really know at the time i was just amazed it was able to do some sort of 3d after years of playing 2d games. Thinking back i'm not sure if 3d cards on Pc were a thing back then so this thing was spectacular to me, real arcade style 3d graphics instead of the drawing different size sprites to give the impression of moving ( You know the one's i mean ,see home conversions of Atari ST/Amiga Outrun ). But man that controller was shit, nearly gave me blisters playing Samurai Showdown and Streetfighter 2.

Last edited:
I would never have used the cables in the box. I was using an s-video cable but have since modded my system for RGB SCART input into a Sony PVM monitor. It’s basically best case.

Which HD CRT are you using specifically? Your 3DO definitely has the 240p switch?

I'm using a Philips HD CRT. Also no my 3DO doesn't have a 240p switch. I do have a friend who has a 3DO that can put out 240p.

As for the box cables, I think you should try them just to know what the majority of buyers were experiencing back then. Or the current homebrew/fan community. S video makes a big difference.

dark10x

I'm using a Philips HD CRT. Also no my 3DO doesn't have a 240p switch. I do have a friend who has a 3DO that can put out 240p.

As for the box cables, I think you should try them just to know what the majority of buyers were experiencing back then. Or the current homebrew/fan community. S video makes a big difference.
Composite can look OK with a good comb filter but it’s never optimal. I’ve only ever used s-video on my 3DO until the RGB mod.

I was asking about your TV as a lot of HD CRTs, including a Sony I used to use, treat 240p as 480i so you don’t actually get the real benefits. It’ll either be your TV introducing artefacts or the 3DO (the 3DO in 480i would look better than 240p on such a display). You’d need a proper SD TV or professional monitor to really appreciate it (or an OSSC or Framemeister).

I really liked this console at the time, Was really impressive for the time, sure frame rates aren't that impressive but i didn't really know at the time i was just amazed it was able to do some sort of 3d after years of playing 2d games. Thinking back i'm not sure if 3d cards on Pc were a thing back then so this thing was spectacular to me, real arcade style 3d graphics instead of the drawing different size sprites to give the impression of moving ( You know the one's i mean ,see home conversions of Atari ST/Amiga Outrun ). But man that controller was shit, nearly gave me blisters playing Samurai Showdown and Streetfighter 2.

Scaling games is what you're thinking of. Atari ST had 3D games but they ran slideshow like. Vroom was a compromise between both and is likely theonly "3D game" that's playable. Although games like Hunter were innovative for the time, was basically GTA kind of.

PC however, did have some games like indycar racing and Nascar 1994 but they were still quite a bit far behind the 3DO. It's why some people thought the minimal $500 price was worth it and argued for it, but a lot of that higher price was because of the 3DO licensing out the hardware. Imagine how it would have moved if it launched at $300.

Yeah, the original controller wasn't exactly the most comfortable for games that required fast and constant tapping like fighting games. But at least it still works well for its games unlike the CD-i controller which will break as easy as a styrofoam cup.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Scaling games is what you're thinking of. Atari ST had 3D games but they ran slideshow like. Vroom was a compromise between both and is likely theonly "3D game" that's playable. Although games like Hunter were innovative for the time, was basically GTA kind of.

PC however, did have some games like indycar racing and Nascar 1994 but they were still quite a bit far behind the 3DO. It's why some people thought the minimal $500 price was worth it and argued for it, but a lot of that higher price was because of the 3DO licensing out the hardware. Imagine how it would have moved if it launched at $300.

Yeah, the original controller wasn't exactly the most comfortable for games that required fast and constant tapping like fighting games. But at least it still works well for its games unlike the CD-i controller which will break as easy as a styrofoam cup.
Yes i remember Vroom, that was impressive and fast. I'm in England and i can't remember what i paid, i just remember it was a lot for the time but i couldn't resist those graphics. I think i paid about £599 or £499 but i got most of that back when i sold it 9 months later.

Just thinking back about it Are i correct in thinking that these were region free ? As i recall driving quite far from where i live to a shop that sold import games.

Last edited:
Yes i remember Vroom, that was impressive and fast. I'm in England and i can't remember what i paid, i just remember it was a lot for the time but i couldn't resist those graphics. I think i paid about £599 or £499 but i got most of that back when i sold it 9 months later.

Just thinking back about it Are i correct in thinking that these were region free ? As i recall driving quite far from where i live to a shop that sold import games.

Yes, most 3DO's are region free though there are some issues with Early goldstar units.

Kazza

By the time 3DO was down to $300, Saturn and Playstation were set to arrive with more powerful systems supported by blockbuster arcade hits like Daytona USA and Ridge Racer. The writing was on the wall.

This was the situation for me. The EA games were super impressive for 1994, but the 3DO was just too expensive. By the time it finally came down in price, the PS1 and Saturn were already on the verge of coming out and made the 3DO seem a little outdated. That 1993-95 period was probably the most exciting years in the history of gaming, with so many different consoles completing for favour and with arcades revolutionising 3D gaming.

I know this is a month old thread but this came up in a google search result and is pretty recent so wanted to throw my two cents in.

There are like 7 60fps 2D games on the 3DO, this is because the 3DO was not made with 2D in mind and has some of the same faults certain computer hardware had around that time, where the architecture wasn't made to manipulate and produce hi-fidelity 2D graphics. It was designed as a 3D machine and an FMV machine.

So the though that there COULD be many 2D 60fps games on the 3DO is completely impossible.

I also would like to point out 3D isn't that good as well. The 3DO's 3D is thought to be great because of still shots in comparison to the Jaguar early on. The 3DO was made with texture mapping in mind and it was easier to do, creating better looking models which works well for screenshots and gifs in some cases.

However, I would like to point out how slow the 3DO's hardware actually was and it's limitations in memory. I can see most 3DO games running on the Jaguar, and in some cases with a significant frame-rate boost, with time and polish.

I however, cannot see the 3DO running many Jaguar games. Iron Soldier 1 and 2, Battle Sphere, etc, are some examples of games with open fields with tons of objects and effects going on like lightning, and with the former, destruction, which the 3DO can't even remotely do without the machine setting itself on fire. Not to mention the Jaguar does all that at a decent FPS.

The 3DO in reality is not only waaaaaaayyy to slow, but way to limited in memory to run games without compromise at 60fps. Heck even in 3D only maybe like 15 are 30fps and some of those have 2D sprites in them. It was good hardware at the time but it's 3D was much more limited than people realize and it's 2D even more so. Samurai Showdown only has 60fps at the stage select screen if I recall. and as D dark10x said SF2T has to cut parralax out, though it still does look better than the SNES version imo, it's still a significant weakness if the SNES can retain the parallax.

Ignorance of the 3DO's weaknesses has made people believe that the 3DO is a lot more powerful than it actually is. It can make some good texture models which is why some of the games look great in stills, but while the Jaguar has more blocky polygons, the Jaguar can do more in a 3D space than the 3DO. Some games have lighting and weather change, the 3DO game space would generally remain static and still suffer frame-rate drops.

In 2D games, the Jaguar can do parallax and scaling at high speeds, the 3DO doesn't have the capability to do that. If Atari handled it's launch better with better advertising, and spend more up front on getting game support early, the 3DO would have been dead on arrival. But Atari's missteps gave 3DO an image of an elite class piece of hardware with graphic capabilities that were far ahead. In fact, I would say it's the biggest screw up in gaming history.

Top Bottom