• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note 20U to be optimised for xCloud gaming

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://winfuture.de/news,117202.html

Guess this follows on from the initial partnership here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sams...p-with-microsoft-and-xbox-on-the-s20.1525395/

Seems to be a nice form factor, size, connectivity and quick charging - ideal traits for gaming on the go. Comes out shortly, so might be godo to know if you're in the market for a new phon and xbox centric

First smartphone with optimization for cloud gaming via Xbox Game Pass
The fifth item in the highlight list concerns games: the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G is the first smartphone in which, within the framework of a cooperation with Microsoft, the optimization for gaming use via online streaming via " Project xCloud " is emphasized. With the Xbox Game Pass , more than 90 games should be available on the smartphone via the cloud, making the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra a "portable game console".

Huge 6.9-inch display with new Gorilla Glass 7
The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra has a full 6.9-inch dynamic OLED display, which is rounded on the sides and is therefore also referred to as an edge display. The panel offers 3200x1440 pixels and, depending on requirements, achieves a refresh rate of up to 120 Hertz through dynamic control. The screen is in 19.3: 9 format and offers 508 pixels per inch.

Additional features include USB-C 3.2, NFC, Bluetooth 5.x, WiFi 6 and dual GPS support. AKG-optimized stereo speakers are also on board.

The battery can be charged to 50 percent of its total capacity of 4500mAh within 30 minutes using the quick charge function. Of course, wireless charging is also supported. It is also to be welcomed that Samsung has installed two SIM card slots and additionally enables eSIM support. Android 10 with the current Samsung One UI 2.x is still used as the operating system .

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-20-Ultra-1595370264-0-11.jpg

Not sure if PSNow is accessible on phones - if someone lets me know below I can update OP

Rikkori

Sounds like bullshit, but it's Samsung so of course it is.

Who knows tho, maybe 16:9 will make a comeback in a few years if game streaming takes off.

I know people like to give Xbox shit for their "cloud" ideas, but this is one avenue i could see paying dividends for them. It already is in the marketing department, people are excited for it and all i've seen is praise so far. xCloud is already known as the most reliable cloud gaming service above Stadia, and other than thay they have no real compeition. Sony dont seem to be pushing any form of cloud gaming unless they've just not been marketing it, but i haven't seen it. Nintendo... They have just this generation taken Online gaming on their platform seriously and seem to be at least a generation behind Xbox and Playstation when it comes to their online service so i can't see them offering anything on this scale just yet, although a Nintendo cloud gaming service where i could play Zelda without buying a Nintendo console? YES PLEASE. The best part is, it's already proven to work (for what it is, connection speeds and bandwidth is another story) and people know it works.

Think about it, in 2-3 years, you should be able to play Xbox games anywhere. Be it your Wi-Fi fridge fridge freezer with an LCD screen, to the cheapest of mobile phone, console, pc or anything inbetween. Even on your Sony TV (or not? would Sony really allow this to happen? who knows yet). Another thing, even lifelong Playstation fans could play the new Halo day one without even going near an actual Xbox, all they need is an android phone or the Xbox app on PC and you're good to go (albeit you're in the preview program right now and can deal with slight input lag on an FPS for the sake of playing the story ect). If someone had told me in 2013 that Xbox would've allowed this, i would say you had lost your damn mind.

Cloud naesayers be damned, if i can play my games at work on a break, on my mobile... I'll be the one laughing at the end of the day. Wait, i already can, lol.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Eh, hate this kind of marketing BS.

It's not optimized for xCloud any more than it is Netflix. Samsung makes great devices with good wifi chips, but advertising cloud gaming even for 5g is going to be a crapshoot.

Enjoy those tower switches if you are on the go.

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm probably getting a Note Ultra, though as others have said it'll probably cost and arm and a leg. I'm not that interested in mobile gaming, and I think a lot of work needs to be done on smartphone batteries so let's see how this works out.

What about the standard Note 20? Seems like Samsung are really gimping it, not even giving it a 120hz screen.

Mihos

Gold Member
Not sure if I am going to upgrade my note 10 or not. Not really into gaming on my phone, but I like shiney new things and wireless Dex is something I would go for.

splattered

Have a Note 10 Plus... xCloud works very well on it. How do we know this isn't "optimized" for streaming? Could be some tech in here by Microsoft we aren't aware of yet. Or it could be marketing BS. Samsung did announce a partnership with Microsoft recently.. what if this comes to their TVs, Phones, Tablets, Laptops.... etc

Interesting and worth keeping an eye on.

This is just marketing talk of course. ANY modern phone will be able to stream a game from the cloud if you have decent internet.

But Samsung has to sell the Note 20 so I get it.

Top Bottom