• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sanctuary Fortress' is the Most Beautiful Level

olimario

Banned
Echoes had been an 8/10 experience for me since the start, but the Sanctuary Fortress absolutely saved the game. Not only is it easy the most beautiful and alive area I've ever seen in a video game, but the events, enemies, puzzles, bosses, and secrets I've uncovered so far have been fantastic. There's so much crammed into this one level it's stunning.

I figure I'm half through with it so far, but I don't see the great pace here letting up. Something is always followed by something else. There is absolutely no down time while making my way through.

I wish screens and videos could capture this level, but they can't... not even close.
If you haven't experienced it yet, you need to.
If you don't like Metroid Prime, watch somebody play through this section just to see how stunning it all looks.

The music fits perfectly as well. It started off with this futuristic techno, but when the drumstick on wood beats began I was in heaven. Completely immersive and atmospheric.

Sanctuary Fortress = 10/10
The best area in a Metroid game to date. The rest of Echoes, which is pretty, just seems so bland in comparison.

This room looks so much better in motion and is one of the most bland rooms in Sanctuary Fortress.
metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102528626.jpg

I consider this room one of the ugliest there, too, and it looks wonderful.

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102550359.jpg

Deku Tree

My favorite area in the Metroid Prime series comes out of the first game.
I love the inside of the impact crater. Best level out of both games.
But Sanctuary Fortress gets a close second place for me.

WarPig

Don't worry, the Sky Temple Key quest should kill your buzz neatly.

My favorite parts of Sanctuary were the enemy designs, even more than the environments. The Ingsmashers and the Rezbits are lots of fun. Run around a room with an active Ingsmasher and listen to the bass rumbling in time with the controller vibrations, it's a really cool effect.

DFS.

olimario

Banned
WarPig said:
Don't worry, the Sky Temple Key quest should kill your buzz neatly.

My favorite parts of Sanctuary were the enemy designs, even more than the environments. The Ingsmashers and the Rezbits are lots of fun. Run around a room with an active Ingsmasher and listen to the bass rumbling in time with the controller vibrations, it's a really cool effect.

DFS.

I wouldn't doubt it. The 2 key quests so far have been the low point of the Prime series for me. The collecting at the end of Prime didn't bother me because I collected them as I went and the artifacts and their clues were easily accessable from the start menu.

The logbook in Echoes is cumbersome.

Deku Tree

olimario said:
I wouldn't doubt it. The 2 key quests so far have been the low point of the Prime series for me. The collecting at the end of Prime didn't bother me because I collected them as I went and the artifacts and their clues were easily accessable from the start menu.

The logbook in Echoes is cumbersome.

Not to mention that if you miss a scan, then it makes the key quest harder & longer.

The collecting in Key quest in Echoes is seriously worse than the Artifact hunting in prime.

Mrbob

Deku Tree said:
Not to mention that if you miss a scan, then it makes the key quest harder & longer.

The collecting in Key quest in Echoes is seriously worse than the Artifact hunting in prime.

0_o

I've read it is supposed to be layed out easier. It is worse? Just stating the game tonight for real as I got hooked by Metal Gear Solid 3 for the past couple weeks.

olimario

Banned
Mrbob said:
0_o

I've read it is supposed to be layed out easier. It is worse? Just stating the game tonight for real as I got hooked by Metal Gear Solid 3 for the past couple weeks.

The logbook in this game is more cumbersome and harder and slower to navigate than the one in Prime.
And where Prime had a screen dedicated to artifacts and their clues, the clues for the Sky Temple keys mixed in all of the Luminoth Lore's deep within your cumbersome logbook.

It's really much worse.

WarPig

Yeah. The key clues are now divided into two sections (Keybearer Lore and Whatsisfuck's Clues) and they're pretty deep in the nested menus. I didn't have a lot of trouble with it, but that's because I wrote 'em all down on a bit of paper to keep next to me ^_^

DFS.

Aren't the logs all fully 3d models now as well, rather than the wicked xray-like stuff from the first one?

Btw my previous post complaining about Prime was a cry for help. I mean honestly did anyone ask Retro to make the PAL version harder? I don't think so. Thanks a lot, they made us wait 5 months and give us a version that we can't beat.

bogg

What the hell are you ppl talking about?
Getting the 9 keys to the sky temple is the easiest part in the whole game, the clues tells you exactly where they are.
And I didn't like the menu too at first, but after a few minutes I got the hang of it and it's real easy to navigate through imo.

olimario

Banned
bogg said:
What the hell are ypu ppl talking about?
Getting the 9 keys to the sky temple is the easiest part in the whole game, the clues tells you exactly where they are.
And I didn't like the menu too at first, but after a few minutes I got the hang of it and it's real easy to navigate through imo.

You're as frustrating as the Alpha Bogg.

WarPig

Alpha Blogg, you mean.

The whole time I was down in that area, I was wondering if "blogg" was some kind of rib on the Internet, but I'm not really sure.

DFS.

olimario

Banned
bogg said:
I recon you haven't reached the spider guardian yet right? :)

Spider Guardian was easy.
Same with the Grapple Gaurdian.
The only one I had trouble with was the Boost one and the Alpha Blogg.

bogg

The spider guardian was the only mini-boss that killed me /:
If you love Sanctuary Fortress, wait tiill you get to the boss, imo the best boss in the game.

Tellaerin

olimario said:
Echoes had been an 8/10 experience for me since the start, but the Sanctuary Fortress absolutely saved the game.

The fact that someone could honestly feel an 8/10 experience is something in need of 'saving' shows exactly how screwed-up peoples' perceptions of scores are.

olimario said:
The logbook in this game is more cumbersome and harder and slower to navigate than the one in Prime.
And where Prime had a screen dedicated to artifacts and their clues, the clues for the Sky Temple keys mixed in all of the Luminoth Lore's deep within your cumbersome logbook.

It's really much worse.

Use the c-stick.

Sullichin

olimario said:
Echoes had been an 8/10 experience for me since the start, but the Sanctuary Fortress absolutely saved the game. Not only is it easy the most beautiful and alive area I've ever seen in a video game, but the events, enemies, puzzles, bosses, and secrets I've uncovered so far have been fantastic. There's so much crammed into this one level it's stunning.

I figure I'm half through with it so far, but I don't see the great pace here letting up. Something is always followed by something else. There is absolutely no down time while making my way through.

I wish screens and videos could capture this level, but they can't... not even close.
If you haven't experienced it yet, you need to.
If you don't like Metroid Prime, watch somebody play through this section just to see how stunning it all looks.

The music fits perfectly as well. It started off with this futuristic techno, but when the drumstick on wood beats began I was in heaven. Completely immersive and atmospheric.

Sanctuary Fortress = 10/10
The best area in a Metroid game to date. The rest of Echoes, which is pretty, just seems so bland in comparison.

This room looks so much better in motion and is one of the most bland rooms in Sanctuary Fortress.
metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102528626.jpg

I consider this room one of the ugliest there, too, and it looks wonderful.

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102550359.jpg

Wait till you get the screw attack, and check out this one particular outside area. It's amazing. the Fortress is astonishing, and I agree the best looking and coolest area of any metroid game. Not only does it have its own completley unique enemy set (save for the Space Pirates), but they suit the enviroment wonderfully.

WarPig

SantaCruZer said:
the last boss in santuary fortress could very well be one of the coolest boss fights ever.

Shooting the little antenna thingies annoyed the crap out of me. He's neat to look at, though. The second and third phases reminded me of Brainiac from the Superman comics.

DFS.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sanctuary was awesome, from its very first room. I was VERY impressed with how unique and well thought out that entire sequence of the game was.

SantaC

WarPig said:
Shooting the little antenna thingies annoyed the crap out of me. He's neat to look at, though. The second and third phases reminded me of Brainiac from the Superman comics.

DFS.

How was it annoying? Lock on the antenna. Dash around the room locked on it. Shoot a super missle on the antenna when he is nearby, and finish him off when he is stunned. Takes like 30-40 seconds before he goes into his last phase.

I like the different ideas Retro has on the bossfights. It's not the normal "Hammer all you got until he is dead formula".

Sullichin

WarPig said:

DFS.

screw attack it

Deku Tree

Mrbob said:
0_o

It's 2 phased. If you miss some scans out in the world then you miss "Keybearer Lore" clues which help you find the Keys. Towards the end of the game, if you missed these scans the first time thru, it can be a real pain to travel back through the game and try to find them. Nothing like this existed in the first Prime IIRC.

I've found the logbook and finding clues for the Sky Temple to be easy, I knew where to go, I actually enjoyed looking for them compared to Prime. Each key location is color coded to match each seperate area, that becomes obvious when you look at the world map. Green means Torvus Bog, etc.

olimario

Banned
Mother of GOD!
I just fought
Dark Samus
What an amazing fight that was. Just adds to the brilliant pacing of the Sanctuary Fortress. Seriously.

Top Bottom