• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screwattack to be folded into Rooster Teeth, website closed, Youtube channel active

Damn ScrewAttack used to be my shit. I remember trying my hardest to get one of the videos I made on their front page back in like 07'.

Sucks to seem them go.

Also, I didn't know how big RoosterTeeth was wow O_O

Trago

I remember bitching on their forums about one of their shows taking too long to come out. I think it was Metal Ger Ben.

The amount of people here who have never heard of Rooster Teeth is, like, incomprehensible. Achievement Hunter? Red vs Blue? RWBY? The late Monty Oum?

Like, these guys are the godfathers of machinima. They helped define Halo and even have content IN Halo games.

I have never watched them and don't watch them now, but damn, you've never heard of Rooster Teeth?

Have we been using the same Internet for the last sixteen years?

Skidd

Also 'The Know' is the worst.
Not if you only watch the Funhaus team (former Inside Gaming crew from machinima) ones imo, they are the more level-headed/ rational side of RT's news team. I also enjoy their content significantly more than AH and almost exclusively because of the personalities are much more bearable. But I digress.

If Funhaus was allowed to continue to do their own thing after joining RT, fans of Screwattack shouldn't be worried either.

Have to say, this forum reeeeally don't care about Rooster Teeth at all. For a site which had a 24 hour Extra Life stream which brought in $360k (and is currently at 376k), they didn't even have a thread for that stream here.

Kinda weird. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I have enjoyed bits and pieces of their work, but I don't own an Xbone so most of their stuff isn't really meaningful to me.

Tripon

Not if you only watch the Funhaus team (former Inside Gaming crew from machinima) ones imo, they are the more level-headed/ rational side of RT's news team. I also enjoy their content significantly more than AH and almost exclusively because of the personalities are much more bearable. But I digress.

If Funhaus was allowed to continue to do their own thing after joining RT, fans of Screwattack shouldn't be worried either.
Fanhaus is still in L.A. doing their own thing. Screwattack offices in Frisco, Texas are closing and they are relocating to Austin, Texas. They are being consumed.

Dio

Banned
The amount of people here who have never heard of Rooster Teeth is, like, incomprehensible. Achievement Hunter? Red vs Blue? RWBY? The late Monty Oum?

Like, these guys are the godfathers of machinima. They helped define Halo and even have content IN Halo games.

I have never watched them and don't watch them now, but damn, you've never heard of Rooster Teeth?

Have we been using the same Internet for the last sixteen years?

I'm in my mid 20s and RvB started when I was in high school. If you're 18 now you would have been 6 years old when RvB began. I don't see it being out of the ordinary if you didn't start really 'getting into Youtube people' until you were a preteen/teenager.

BHK3

Banned
Stopped watching Red Vs. Blue when it made the switch to halo 2(so like middle school for me).

Screwattack I basically watched for AVGN and Nathan Barnatt, both of whom are now 100x bigger than SA. Plus I heard SA were a bunch of dicks trying to constantly screw each other over. RoosterTeeth I never liked because back during the prime Call of Duty days, they and Machinama were EVERYWHERE, making it absolutely impossible as a small content creator to go anywhere unless you let them acquire you...

Also they were the general youtube gamers that are bad at every game and have awful uniformed opinions.

Stopped watching Red Vs. Blue when it made the switch to halo 2(so like middle school for me).

Screwattack I basically watched for AVGN and Nathan Barnatt, both of whom are now 100x bigger than SA..

This is pretty much the extent of my relationship with Screw Attack. Once AVGN was done with them I don't think I've watched any of their content or even knew they were around. Actually, I think they or that backwards hat Tom guy had something to do with the AVGN game. I saw him in a video shilling the game and thought 'Wow. That guys is still around? Meh." then turned the video off. Congrats to them I guess.

Dio

Banned
This is pretty much the extent of my relationship with Screw Attack. Once AVGN was done with them I don't think I've watched any of their content or even knew they were around. Actually, I think they or that backwards hat Tom guy had something to do with the AVGN game. I saw him in a video shilling the game and thought 'Wow. That guys is still around? Meh." then turned the video off. Congrats to them I guess.

Yeah, when I first checked out AVGN I thought ScrewAttack was his company or something. I never did watch anything else ever from them.

I'm in my mid 20s and RvB started when I was in high school. If you're 18 now you would have been 6 years old when RvB began. I don't see it being out of the ordinary if you didn't start really 'getting into Youtube people' until you were a preteen/teenager.

Are you trying to tell me... I'm old?

[*camera rotates around me as my nervous breakdown begins to play out; Iris_the_goo_goo_dolls_1999.mp3]

"And I don't want the world to see me,
Cus I don't think that they'd understand.."

I can't be old. Not yet. Not now.

"When everything's made to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am..."

What... What is that over there? A stone? It's a gravestone--

"And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming, Or the moment of truth in your lies..."

...with my name on it.

"When everything feels like the movies..."

[*I climb into the open grave in resignation; I am surrounded by children with shovels*]

"Yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive."

[*the children shovel dirt into the grave, the music grows more muffled with every heave, then silence*]

I forgot what went on with that, is there a summary somewhere?
Tom was a serious slacker like not coming in for work not doing the work he was supposed to do etc.
And Greg wanted to move SA from amateurs with a following to a serious company with more people who want to work hard on its future.
And that is why Greg let Tom go around Nov of 2007.

The screwattack community who used their forums will be in for a real shocker when they notice how terrible Roosterteeth's are in comparison.

I followed Screwattack in the past but dropped off in the past few years. I'll have to give Rooster Teeth a look now.

I didn't know they were planning an expo in Austin, Has it always been there or is this the first year?

Tripon

I followed Screwattack in the past but dropped off in the past few years. I'll have to give Rooster Teeth a look now.

I didn't know they were planning an expo in Austin, Has it always been there or is this the first year?

RTX was always in Austin. SGC was held in Dallas, and is moving to RTX in Austin next year.

KHlover

Banned
Eh the only intersting thing ScrewAttack put out lately were their DeathBattles. As long as those survive (which they will, just look at those views) I really don't care how they are named.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped going there back when Craig fucked over Handsome Tom.

I stopped going there when Handsome Tom left just because he was the reason I listened to their podcast. I didn't know it was a controversial split.

The other reason I listened to their podcast was there wasn't much to pick from 6 years ago after 1up died, but that has certainly changed.

I've been a big g1 for a looong time since the old craig/tom days and loved their content for most of the time but they have been getting worse since jared left and getting bought by fullscreen. I still enjoy some of the streams and sidescrollers. They've gotten too heavy with death battle like it's their only show and half of their crew has no screen presence. I do still like craig, sam, chad and even shaun bolan though. The rest are awkward or just never in videos anymore like nick and Ben

Also I never liked any of roosterteeth's stuff so that's kind of a bummer too.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Does GameAttack still exist? I remember thinking ScrewAttack opening their own game store was the coolest thing ever.

AND it was run by Jared from Nametags!

They closed the store after about a year iirc.

The screwattack community who used their forums will be in for a real shocker when they notice how terrible Roosterteeth's are in comparison.

All 20 of them. . The forums pretty much died at SA. :(

I miss the days when they were active as all hell. Going to the first SGC (and subsequent ones (except in 2014 when I went to EVO) and made some cool friends.

Same for me

I watched red vs blue in the beginning up until they started doing the motion capture stuff. It lost all of its charm at that point. I just think I have moved out of their demographic. Most of their stuff seems to be aimed at the younger YouTube audience now.

Same.

Just got boring and as you said, they are targeting younger viewers.

rpmurphy

Tom was a serious slacker like not coming in for work not doing the work he was supposed to do etc.
And Greg wanted to move SA from amateurs with a following to a serious company with more people who want to work hard on its future.
And that is why Greg let Tom go around Nov of 2007.

I saw that Craig's side being posted higher up so here is Tom's side:

https://thehealingtouch.wordpress.com/2008/03/14/news-of-the-now-handsome-toms-side-of-the-story/
Disclaimer: I believe Tom and think Craig was pretty scummy in this situation. This is given further proof by what happened with later content creators like Jared (although that one was less one sided imo).
Thanks, that brought back the memories. Sucks the way it all went down back then.

I used to love RT and SA, both of them I've pretty much fallen out of love with. Red vs Blue has been pretty awful for awhile now and none of their other new content really excites or interests me, SA slowly let go all of their talent I liked and were basically dead to me around the time Gametrailers died for me (though at least they have Bossman).

Crazy to think at one time this merger would have been the most awesome thing ever, now it's just a "meh"

I discovered ScrewAttack through GameTrailers (their Top Tens) and really liked all the personalities and shows like Hard News with Destin and Jared, SideScrollers with Chad and Sam, and all the crew was likable but then people started leaving (Jose, Destin, Jared) and SideScrollers became the only show I watched from them on out until they cancelled it for a while, that's when I stop going to their site less frequently, funny enough I completely stop watching them when Craig stop using his signature hat regularly hahaha. Through ScrewAttack I discovered so many awesome personalities like AVGN, Game Theory, Extra Credits and many more, definitely sadden by this stealth death since they were a huge during high school and during a very bad time in my life for me, end of an era for sure.

Now the only gaming personalities I follow and really like is the GameTrailers crew where it all started for me hahaha. KindaFunny is a close second but I stop watching their stuff very recently after learning of Collins' dumb right-wing ideology.

SegaShack

Wow, I remember in 2008 and 2009 they were my go to site. I forget why I stopped visiting them, but it seems that after their Gametrailers deal ended they really died out.

Justinh

I was a big fan of theirs a long time ago, when I think it was just Stuttering Craig and Handsome Tom...and I guess Perfect Liz. I can't really remember if there were more at the time, but those two were the only ones I remember. I even bought "Craig's Hat" from their store (Just a hat with the Screwattack Logo).

I stopped watching them when Handsome Tom left, and for a while I was into the Game Heroes, but that died, too.

Coincidentally, I was just reminded that Screwattack existed earlier today when a new top ten by them showed up in my sift. First video I watched by them in yeeeaaars. I didn't like it. Well...hearing the numbers countdown guy was kinda nostalgic.

I remember when they revealed the winning name for the store was "Gameattack" or whatever it was, and all I could think was "Why didn't they just call it the 'Video Game Vault'?"

I remember ScrewAttack when AVGN worked with them, and I watched their Top 10 lists with Stuttering Craig and Handsome Tom.

Now Rooster Teeth, I've been watching Red Vs. Blue for about 11 years. I also enjoy RWBY and the first season of The Strangerhood.

dity

Coincidentally, I was just reminded that Screwattack existed earlier today when a new top ten by them showed up in my sift. First video I watched by them in yeeeaaars. I didn't like it. Well...hearing the numbers countdown guy was kinda nostalgic.
That deep "NUMBAHHH ONE!" and the intro jingle da na-na na na-na NA-NA are the nostalgic SA things for me. Those and the old eating challenges. Outside of that, yeah - "I didn't like it" sums up the company pretty well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've never been into anything Rooster Teeth has done. And I've always hated Red vs. Blue with a passion even when I still liked Halo.

Since AVGN isn't even with ScrewAttack anymore, I don't think there's much by them I am even familiar with either.

I'll stick with NormalBoots and Polaris. (Or whoever GameGrumps is with)

Eventually though it'll probably all be one big umbrella corporation they're all under. As long as I still get the same content I'm used to I don't care who runs it.

Top Bottom