• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves Beta review, (Pretty good gaming)

lifa-cobex

Yo-Ho....

Reddit Data-mine link:

Seems like a good game with the intention for a fun pirate basis.
Mechanics look very well thought out.
But I'm not sure about the length appeal...

I'm gonna lean more towards a sale atm.

i see this as something people will spend maybe a week at and then move on. they should have made a single player pirate game instead.

hiphopcr

i see this as something people will spend maybe a week at and then move on. they should have made a single player pirate game instead.
No way to predict the longevity, but hell no to making it a single player game. Maybe I'm speaking anecdotally, but if you are an xbox gamer and have lots of xbox friends, you are no doubt pumped and making plans for this game.

hiphopcr

And don't forget, this is in Game Pass... at the very least you spend $10 to play it for a month, amazing value, amazingly consumer friendly.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Disagree. For many this will be the case like any other game, but I have a feeling this will have some legs for a lot of people.

MilkyJoe

I only play single player games, I watched 30 minutes of SoT solo playing and I am getting it now. Looks like there's plenty in there.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Have they improved the shooting, it felt poor, i know it's not a shooter but it could feel better.

munroe

You can easily play this solo and is a lot of fun. The datamine shows they're keeping back a lot of stuff from the public eye for now, plus it's included in the gamepass

MrDanGuy

Disagree. For many this will be the case like any other game, but I have a feeling this will have some legs for a lot of people.

I agree, this game is great for people who are older. I don’t have enough time to progress through most games these days, but this allows me to go on for a hour during the weekend, and have fun.

No way to predict the longevity, but hell no to making it a single player game. Maybe I'm speaking anecdotally, but if you are an xbox gamer and have lots of xbox friends, you are no doubt pumped and making plans for this game.

contingent on them also buying the game...

This looks good but I'm gonna wait for Skull and Bones

My problem with skull and bones are you're not on the ship. You are the ship. You, AFAIK, can't walk on it. You can't go to cities, explore, hire crew. And it's mp only like sea of thieves. Man, all i asked was black flag 2 without assassin's creed in it.

About sea of thieves: they nailed the look of the game and the ship mechanics. I was watching a video where two guys sailing on a sloop sank 2 galeons. It looked fun as hell.
But sword and gun fight looks meh. It's like they completely focused on one aspect and forgot about the rest.
The treasure hunt looks fun but very samey. I think it'll get old fast. And i'm too old and jaded to believe the "it's just a beta" mantra.

And on top of that it's windows store only.

bobbyphunk

Neo Member
Played the alpha and beta and i agree it gets very stale after a while. Maybe they are holding back content until the game releases

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
One thing that is pretty crazy, I spent more time with the beta then I did in the entire Uncharted 4 campaign.

To me if games like uncharted are full body circuit training, sea of thieves is a nice walk in the countryside.

Last edited:

Neo-Alec

Neo Member
Nah, personally I'm not much of an online gamer, but there will be people who will get addicted and be all over this. Unless the game totally sucks (and I'm predicting Rare at least did okay, considering the development time), there is usually at least some audience for a mass market MMO like this.

I love everything about this except for the fact that it's multiplayer focused and online only :p. Hopefully Rare will consider creating a single player focused game set in the SoT universe later on down the track. I'm glad that Rare is back on form though and that lots of gamers are enjoying this. Some of the live streams have been really entertaining to watch.

sigrad

Played the alpha and beta and i agree it gets very stale after a while. Maybe they are holding back content until the game releases
They held back a ton from what I've heard. People datamined the Beta and found a bunch of stuff that will be in the final game.

They have a list on VG247.

I worry about this game. I worry this is gonna lose that “new car smell” really fast. Progression is an important part of longevity and just shaders and cosmetics are the only progression right now. I think it needs an RPG stat system

Droxcy

You set sails with your buddies, and find booty? I wasn't too hyped on it, but some of my friends are. I guess it's one of those hit or miss games. Love RARE though!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I worry about this game. I worry this is gonna lose that “new car smell” really fast. Progression is an important part of longevity and just shaders and cosmetics are the only progression right now. I think it needs an RPG stat system

You could say this about any game.
You spend 20+hrs over a few days you are gonna get burnt out of any game.

Top Bottom