• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sealed Switch Games?

splattered

My wife got a new large switch case that holds a ton of games... we are currently opening a bunch we bought years ago that are still sealed.

As i am opening these i am looking them up online and these things all list for like $200+ sealed on ebay.

Do people actually buy these sealed at these prices or are the sellers just crazy?

I'm sitting here wondering what these are all going to be worth in like 10 years sealed haha

Quantum253

Dead stock Nintendo games are always top dollar
I don't own a switch and picked up the Super Mario 3D allstars expecting the limited availability to go rare. But yeah, anything Nintendo is going to hold its value or exceed its purchase price. Makes picking physical aftermarket hard for some games though

splattered

Jesus... we just opened like 20 games haha

Good stuff too, not shovelware.

Oh well, we buy stuff to hopefully eventually play it not to hoard and sell online.

So do you guys buy like extras to be able to put away and sell later then?

*We opened our 3D Allstars some time ago but HOLY SHIT i just went and looked at some of the prices on ebay.

Sorry if this is a shitty thread, i just found it really interesting and wondered if people on this forum actively buy/sell/hoard stuff like this in hopes of making money in the future.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Oh well, we buy stuff to hopefully eventually play it not to hoard and sell online.

*We opened our 3D Allstars some time ago but HOLY SHIT i just went and looked at some of the prices on ebay.

Sorry if this is a shitty thread, i just found it really interesting and wondered if people on this forum actively buy/sell/hoard stuff like this in hopes of making money in the future.
I've picked a few things up for the intention of rarity and selling down the line to collectors, but it's a hard guess and requires storing them in perfect condition for years.
That was the past and now I don't waste time/money/space on things like that unless a smaller case that can easily be stored. For example, I have a Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch Wizards edition with the accompanying strat guide sealed in excellent condition and it might go for $150 if that.
So it doesn't always work out. But some stupid PS4 Poop Slinger game was released on April fools, was a limited run, and goes for over $1,000. Edit: Price Tracker has new over $3,000

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Switch value is INSANE for games that are sealed/not opened.

I use https://www.pricecharting.com/ to track my collection and they typically* trend at asking for the items they post and they also provide examples of the prices by linking to sold listings on each items page.

I don't know if you are a collector or not splattered splattered , but if you have not played those sealed switch games, and you know you will not play them after you open and then put the games in a case...why not try to make some cash on that backlog?

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I thought something different other than value which may cause you to pry a corner. I mean, if you bought this at a reputable retailer; probably nothing to worry about. However, I've read countless reviews for large ecommerce sites like Amazon where someone buys a game from a top-rated seller (Switch), sealed, opens in and no cart. But it looked new and sealed. Lol...maybe stick a flashlight on the back to make sure none are empty.

F31 Leopard

Even games that are opened still retain a decent value. Opened copies of The Lost Child or Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle sells for around $80-100.

Last edited:

Quantum253

I thought something different other than value which may cause you to pry a corner. I mean, if you bought this at a reputable retailer; probably nothing to worry about. However, I've read countless reviews for large ecommerce sites like Amazon where someone buys a game from a top-rated seller (Switch), sealed, opens in and no cart. But it looked new and sealed. Lol...maybe stick a flashlight on the back to make sure none are empty.
I bought Borderlands 2 from Gamestop on release day and thought the cellophane wrap felt off. Took it home, opened it up, and there was no disc. It was like pulling fucking teeth to convince the store manager that I wasn't trying to get a second copy. Luckily, they were able to find another in the drawer, opened it, and found no disc. I guess it's a trick that's been going on for a while. It makes me hesitant about selling and buying new games online. I can see someone getting screwed over when buying a high priced rare item.

splattered

Switch value is INSANE for games that are sealed/not opened.

I use https://www.pricecharting.com/ to track my collection and they typically* trend at asking for the items they post and they also provide examples of the prices by linking to sold listings on each items page.

I don't know if you are a collector or not splattered splattered , but if you have not played those sealed switch games, and you know you will not play them after you open and then put the games in a case...why not try to make some cash on that backlog?

I'm not really a collector but i have kids that play switch sometimes ... this stuff has been sitting in a drawer sealed and forgotten about so we just opened it all. My kids will play them and i guess that's the point right? Ha... sigh.

I still have original copies of the Yakuza games sealed and other Playstation games somewhere.

Really i try not to hold onto older stuff too long if i can help it but some stuff just goes on a shelf or in a box and forgotten about.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I bought Borderlands 2 from Gamestop on release day and thought the cellophane wrap felt off. Took it home, opened it up, and there was no disc. It was like pulling fucking teeth to convince the store manager that I wasn't trying to get a second copy. Luckily, they were able to find another in the drawer, opened it, and found no disc. I guess it's a trick that's been going on for a while. It makes me hesitant about selling and buying new games online. I can see someone getting screwed over when buying a high priced rare item.
You've got some decent valuable games there for sure though. Just didn't want that to be a surprise. I'm not sure what the deal is and how frequently it happens as I've not had this happen yet. However, of all the Switch games my wife and I own combined; I bought maybe one online. Seems like retailers do have these checked but look up just about any popular Switch game on a big ecommerce site that has more than a dozen 1-star reviews. Maybe 2 of the 5 received a sealed Switch game but the cart wasn't there. Someone here has probably had this happen and could say a bit more. There are games I don't I want to take out of the seal in my backlog too -- but I typically pry the seal slightly where the indent is on the case and take a peek.

I'm surprised they aren't aware of this. It's not super common but anyone working wholesale risks buying something like this. Anyway, check the price on those. If you're going to sell -- probably a good time. I figure certain games will dip down slightly once Nintendo finally does release new hardware. Then again, some things that go oop or low print maintain a high sticker price on the collectors market.

Quantum253

I'm not really a collector but i have kids that play switch sometimes ... this stuff has been sitting in a drawer sealed and forgotten about so we just opened it all. My kids will play them and i guess that's the point right? Ha... sigh.

I still have original copies of the Yakuza games sealed and other Playstation games somewhere.

Really i try not to hold onto older stuff too long if i can help it but some stuff just goes on a shelf or in a box and forgotten about.
If it's something that you think will never be played, you can Price Chart the value (new/complete/etc.). You could find a local game shop and negotiate a cash sale or even better since you have kids, store credit to be applied to games coming up that you/they want. Just as long as they stay is business or don't do anything scummy it's a win-win and you don't get ripped off with Gamestop trade-in credits.

Kilau

You did it wrong OP!

hYoKYAN.jpg

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
i don't know about seal games.

i think ecco the dolphin is the closest thing you will get to a seal game on Switch.

Quantum253

You did it wrong OP!

hYoKYAN.jpg
Oh man. Let me guess sponsored video and didn't have to pay the grading/shipping fee. I always thought grading games was weird unluck Basketball/football cards where corners could be bent and hold 60k+ value

Quantum253

It's a big scam.
all that money for someone to look at a sealed game to say it looks good put it in a sealed plastic container and stickered it. Then someone wants to pay way more for that copy. If it was something exceptionally rare then maybe. Most are fine in a similar plastic container and kept in a safe place.

Kilau

all that money for someone to look at a sealed game to say it looks good put it in a sealed plastic container and stickered it. Then someone wants to pay way more for that copy. If it was something exceptionally rare then maybe. Most are fine in a similar plastic container and kept in a safe place.
Yes, it's unnecessary for just keeping and collection. The scam is the auction house involved with the grading companies did phony sales for headlines to promote the grading company.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have about 330 Switch games, and currently about 100 of them are sealed because I haven't got around to playing them yet... I guess I'm sitting on a gold mine.

ZoukGalaxy

You did it wrong OP!

hYoKYAN.jpg
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

WATA = SCAM = ARTIFICIAL

This guy probably got a check from WATA to say how awesome it is.

You did right OP, nobody is buying them at these prices anyway, that's just an illusion and a seller jerking dream, and the whole WATA grade is a pure scam and an artificial bubble that will burst soon or later.

Only the rarest games will worth something *for real* in 20 years and not artificially with the WATA scammers.

Here an awesome video about how it works, the exact same guys came from an already burst scene (cards if I remembe well) to the video games scene and "invest" in it in order to actually artificially increase values of games nobody wants with the same WATA mechanisms and several others doubtful practices (metal jesus, more like metal scammer) and create a whole new bubble which is going to burst soon or later:

Video is long but REALLY worth watching for all physical collectors.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I do have bunch of unopened Switch games (and some non Switch of course) since I like to collect certain genres.

Normally I just don’t get to them for a while and then snag a cheap eshop copy for like $10-20.

I am not going to open a $100+ copy if I didn’t get to it by the point.

Last edited:

TidusYuna

You can't buy 3D all stars anymore because it was limited print. I think they removed it from eshop too. So the only way to acquire 3d all stars now is to buy whatever physical copies are available online. That is why the price on that one is so high.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Indeed some games can go for a lot of money. If you are lucky.

But this is a horrible way to spend money. Working an extra hour every day will ultimately win too much more money than fake collecting.

Though with that said, I am hoping my sealed copy of Nights for the Wii makes me rich one day.

Quantum253

Kinda makes me regret buying digital for the past few years.
It's a very rare occurrence. I only have the sealed copies because i got 2 for friends on pre order day and they ended up getting their own, but I never returned them. Shin Magami Tensi/ Persona games hold their value though

nemiroff

Gold Member
I just saw a good video about the WATA scam.. Holy shit. Suddenly the whole thing makes more sense.

CGNoire

And people wonder why pirating Nintendo games is so popular. Fuck this globalist market to hell and back. I have a copy of AC4A thats worth close to $300 now but there is no way in hell Im gonna participate in this new buyers hellscape.

peronmls

What a joke. Something is seriously wrong with these people when it comes to their anime and Nintendo games.

Top Bottom