• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Genesis Classics Announced for Nintendo Switch (Digital and Physical)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Says it's coming "this winter". More info at Polygon.

Violently expel my golden rings if old.

Game list:
  • Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Columns 3: Revenge of Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Galaxy Force 2
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe 2
  • Golden Axe 3
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star 2
  • Phantasy Star 3: Generations of Doom
  • Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millenium
  • Ristar
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force 2
  • Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Space Harrier 2
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2

Last edited:

Andyliini

Strange that Sega is releasing this and at the same time releasing their Sega AGES -games individually. I might get this for Phantasy Star and Shining Force.

Pachi72

Another copy and paste from Sega. A company that has gone downhill. They keep rehashing their Mega Drive collecting over and over. Why not do a System 16 or System 32 arcade collection to home? Like Outrunners, Rad Mobile, Revenge of Death Addler? No what they do? Copy paste games that most people are so tired of playing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Strange that Sega is releasing this and at the same time releasing their Sega AGES -games individually. I might get this for Phantasy Star and Shining Force.

I think the AGES series is releasing in Japan only (although the Switch is region free). Maybe they figured it'd just be easier to dump everything into one $40 package and call it a day?

Why did they cut the 2 Wonder Boy games that were on PS4/X1 version, and replace them with nothing? Made Switch buyers wait longer for 2 less games....thanks Sega.

I have it on PS4 so I'll skip.

Another copy and paste from Sega. A company that has gone downhill. They keep rehashing their Mega Drive collecting over and over. Why not do a System 16 or System 32 arcade collection to home? Like Outrunners, Rad Mobile, Revenge of Death Addler? No what they do? Copy paste games that most people are so tired of playing.
This is the best Genesis collection to date, both in terms of options and in terms of selection. I can understand if people want to pass on it, though.

RAIDEN1

As it was Sega's most successful home console ever...they are bound to try and get every last ounce of blood as it were from there genesis collection...no other sega console came close to replicating their success from their 16 bit challenger..

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Already played a hundred and fucking million times. How about a Saturn-collection for once? Or Dreamcast? Hell, I would even take a Sega CD/32X-collection over this shit.

Hudo

Well, the Sega Ages (which is a palindrome, I have never noticed before!) stuff is done by M2. And M2 are fucking legit. But I guess there won't be a physical version of the Sega Ages stuff, right?

Pachi72

And the collection has shit games anyway. No Revenge of Shinobi? WTF....edit.It does have it.. yay.. still a letdown

Last edited:

Woffls

Is Sonic 3 & Knuckles just straight up not on that list? I would almost be in for Sonic 2 and Panic on Funkotron but... nah, probably won't even get it on sale.

e: ooh, there is value in playing Streets of Rage with a friend on some joycons, though.

Last edited:

SALMORE

I'll get it ... even though I own the PS3 and PS4 versions + some of the original Mega Drive cartridges 😀

jshackles

For someone looking for portable versions of most of these games, this is going to be a good package. I might try and tackle Phantasy Star II, III, and IV for the first time since I got the original cartridges, just because I'll have a convenient way of playing them on the bus etc.

MP!

is there a list for what games are actually in this collection? should probably be in the OP

is there a list for what games are actually in this collection? should probably be in the OP
Was in the article TC linked to.

It's same as PS4/X1 version but missing the 2 Wonder Boy games for some reason with no additions to make up for there loss.

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Columns 3: Revenge of Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Galaxy Force 2
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe 2
  • Golden Axe 3
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star 2
  • Phantasy Star 3: Generations of Doom
  • Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millenium
  • Ristar
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force 2
  • Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Space Harrier 2
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2

jshackles

Was in the article TC linked to.

It's same as PS4/X1 version but missing the 2 Wonder Boy games for some reason with no additions to make up for there loss.

I assume it has something to do with the fact that the Wonder Boy remake is already on the Switch? Kinda shit that they're just straight up excluded though.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Does Sega know they had consoles other than the Genesis?
I'd like an arcade collection of Sega X board, Y board and System 32 games. So many of those are either overlooked or we only ever get the Genesis / Mega Drive versions.

I assume it has something to do with the fact that the Wonder Boy remake is already on the Switch? Kinda shit that they're just straight up excluded though.
That wouldn't make much sense on Sega's part given the remake has been on PS4 and X1 since last year as well. Plus Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap is what got remade, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair and Wonder Boy in Monster World are different games and what was in the collection. If anything the remake also being on Switch makes there absence even more weirder.

There is a upcoming spiritual successor called Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom by the devs of Wonder Boy, so maybe Sega is excluding them not to promote it, which would make there exclusion worse since that would mean Sega are just excluding them to be petty.

Bullet Club

Sega does what Nintendon't!

Oh wait, Nintendo releases their old games over and over again on new systems too.

I'm still going to buy it.

theclaw135

Banned
Is Sonic 3 & Knuckles just straight up not on that list? I would almost be in for Sonic 2 and Panic on Funkotron but... nah, probably won't even get it on sale.

e: ooh, there is value in playing Streets of Rage with a friend on some joycons, though.

Sonic 3 has rarely been re-released the last 7 years.
No new versions yet for systems like Switch, iOS/Android, PS4/XB1...

Although 2011 or older versions are still sold digitally, and the XBLA version is backwards compatible. (you can't add Wii Points anymore to get the game on Wii U)

Top Bottom