• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Semantics: Is Palworld the first 'Poke-like' (SoulsLike) rather than just another Creature collection games?

Poke-like, Pokenite (fornite)...

Kill it with fire.

On one hand Palworld suceeds in flying close to the sun, Pokemon, by capturing over 8 million supporter to "speak with their pocket" and say in unison "fu Nintendo"

The support can seem superficial because this support seems to imply Pokemon is a genre of its self.

have those same supporters supported other creature collection games?

While on there other hand, Pokemon fans are offended with Palworld success while allegedly claim have been make on copying.

I would say to those Pokemon fans to keep that same critique towards Nintendo and game freak to do better when there, like I mentioned previously, better creature collection games that have surpass POKEMON as a franchise.

Raonak

Banned
No, it's the opposite really.
Unlike other creature collecting games, Palworld plays nothing like pokemon.

The reason Palworld is popular is because it's visually excellent compared to other rival games. Including the official pokemon games.

Don't be surprised if Palworld even looks better than the next pokemon game.

Last edited:

Codes 208

The first poke-like/pokemon clone that copied the tone apples to apples, was robopon
91nJgykdBpL._SL1500_.jpg

Ngl…i actually liked this one as a kid

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would have respected Palworld more if they actually design their own creatures instead of ripping-off.

Atlus managed to do it with SMT/Persona games.
OTdNv4C.png

Pallas

Gold Member
I would have respected Palworld more if they actually design their own creatures instead of ripping-off.

OTdNv4C.png
Very first SMT was out before Pokémon, so you could argue they(Gamefreak/Nintendo) copied SMT.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Very first SMT was out before Pokémon, so you could argue they(Gamefreak/Nintendo) copied SMT.
You could but in honestly I dont think they did, it just coincidence that they both came out close to each other.

Also in SMT you dont "capture" them you recruit them, basically how some JRPG you had optional character you could recruit in to your party member, in SMT every enemy is optional party member you can recruit.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
You could but in honestly I dont think they did, it just coincidence that they both came out close to each other.

Also in SMT you dont "capture" them you recruit them, basically how some JRPG you had optional character you could recruit in to your party member, in SMT every enemy is optional party member you can recruit.
Sure but you still collect them, level them up and use them to fight. Whether Pokémon got any inspiration from SMT, that I don’t know, but they weren’t the first monster/demon collector game out there.

Last edited:

GHG

Other than the fact that you capture Pokemon like creatures and can breed them, it shares nothing in common with pokemon games from a mechanical perspective.

I still don't see what it has to do with pokemon besides beating the creatures up and then trapping inside balls. As soon as I saw the game is another ark/rust, I was completely out sadly

SJRB

Gold Member
Other than the fact that you capture Pokemon like creatures and can breed them, it shares nothing in common with pokemon games from a mechanical perspective.

Noooooo you don't get it Palworld stole all its creatures from Pokémon and Pokémon invented creatures that look like bats or fish or ghosts how are they allowed to do this why is no one taking them down they are shitting on my beloved pokemon stop playing this gameeeee

soyjak-nintendo.png

GHG

Noooooo you don't get it Palworld stole all its creatures from Pokémon and Pokémon invented creatures that look like bats or fish or ghosts how are they allowed to do this why is no one taking them down they are shitting on my beloved pokemon stop playing this gameeeee

soyjak-nintendo.png

40+ hours in already.

People High Quality GIF

Holammer

Poke-like sounds good. I expect we'll see more of them after Palworld blew up. We might even see more games copying palworld mechanically than Pokemon.
World of Warcraft had a pet battle system introduced back in 2012, long before it was cool.

Fabieter

No, it's the opposite really.
Unlike other creature collecting games, Palworld plays nothing like pokemon.

The reason Palworld is popular is because it's visually excellent compared to other rival games. Including the official pokemon games.

Don't be surprised if Palworld even looks better than the next pokemon game.

So its popular because its better looking than other poke like games but it doesn't play alike because yea make it make sense.

Codes 208

This is kinda where my irk comes from too, other clones like tem tem and coromon are blatant but the designs at least look unique when paired up to pokemon and pokemon artistically is different enough from that dragon quest game or digimon

But if you told me that direwolf was an alternate evolution to rockruff I’d believe you because it looks like a carbon-copy of lyconroc

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've never played a Pokemon game. I do like survival games though and games where you can build a base and defend it. Have Pals work for you is an interesting twist.

Because I've never been into pokemon, I didn't really catch the similarities beyond the most famous of Pokemon or those that have been featured in Super Smash Bros.(Pikachu, Evee...Lucario, Mewtwo, etc. ). So when I think of copying pokemon, I'm left to think where the Bulbasar clone? What about the fire dragon pokemon (can't remember it's name)?

I like Palworld because of it's Ark like gameplay, it's crafting system, base building system. Sure the ability to capture monsters is a direct dite from pokemon, but the game is so much more than that I don't think people have much of a leg to stand on legally.

Top Bottom