• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Sage: Hellblade 2 Debuts at 23rd in Xbox's "Most Played Games" Rankings; 6th Most Played Game Pass

Who said this?

It's made up hive mind Gaf Sony waffle.

No one hung onto HellBlade as anything, fuck me Indy is out this year as are "bigger" games.

You guys need to get some fresh air. At the very least stop talking shit

Microsoft did when they decided to reveal it alongside the series X before it even started development.

The ignore button is a click away bitchbaby

Killjoy-NL

Jesus Christ, no wonder companies push so hard for GAAS. The entire top 25 is all GAAS except for about 3 games.
Gaf needs to leave to nostalgia-bubble every now and then and see how the world moved on with the times.

OT:

Ouch for #23.

MS can't be happy with that. And this was going to be the generation-defining game that would destroy Playstation.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People here use Astro bot as a yardstick for first party release in list wars.

Now it doesn't compare. Hellblade isn't the big budget AAA people here seem to paint it as.

Do you realise how big Ninja Theory is? (Not Very)
Returnal is considered AAA by the studio. Studio was as small or smaller than Ninja Theory at the time.

One of the weirdest goal posts moves I've ever seen about HB2 is that it isnt AAA.

XXL

There just isn't that much of a market for a cinematic shape matching game with scripted combat that is mainly just walking around looking at fucking rocks.
Elementary School Lol GIF by ABC Network

I deleted this from my PC after a few hours, started playing Persona Reloaded and I feel I made the right decision.

Hellblade 2 is a slog with nothing to it, aside from pretty graphics.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Who said this?

It's made up hive mind Gaf Sony waffle.

No one hung onto HellBlade as anything, fuck me Indy is out this year as are "bigger" games.

You guys need to get some fresh air. At the very least stop talking shit
‘No one hyped it anyway’ after years of hyping a product only for it to be a colossal disappointment is like the standard final stage of grief for Xbox fans at this point.

jroc74

Microsoft did when they decided to reveal it alongside the series X before it even started development.

The ignore button is a click away bitchbaby

Dude… they made a massive song and dance about the game at the Series X launch. It was definitely positioned as one of the ‘big’ AAA Xbox exclusives.

‘No one hyped it anyway’ after years of hyping a product only for it to be a colossal disappointment is like the standard final stage of grief for Xbox fans at this point.

Exactly.

The revisionist history surrounding this game is something else.

Played it, and enjoyed less than the first. It was more of the same, when I think it should have been more than that. No expanded exploration and combat, good that there are more to the cast beyond mostly Senua. However, this game doesn't justify its long dev cycle beyond the graphics. Only recommend people to play it through Game Pass like I did or when it $20 or less.

Ninja Theory may not be that big, but they have released AAA games in the past and Hellblade 2 is a major first party release for Microsoft. There wouldn't be any pushback on this thread if the game were in the top ten.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Why is there "push back" in the first place? Particularly from people who haven't even played it.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Games like this are dead on arrival these days. It feels like something that would have done much better in a past generation.
Or at the beginning of a console generation, when you want to flex your technical muscles and show what impressive images the hardware can create. At this point you can easily forgive the lack of gameplay; you still have a whole generation ahead of you in which something can be built on this foundation.

Or at the beginning of a console generation, when you want to flex your technical muscles and show what impressive images the hardware can create. At this point you can easily forgive the lack of gameplay; you still have a whole generation ahead of you in which something can be built on this foundation.
Absolutely agree.

Humdinger

Gold Member

Interesting. Very similar games with the exact same critical reception, but very different results.

Lack of marketing would be one obvious reason. The first one had a lot of marketing; this one had very little.

A second reason would be that the first game was the first. It was an unknown quantity, therefore more intriguing, whereas most people knew what to expect with Hellblade 2. The first game was also innovative in some ways (e.g., attempt to translate schizophrenia into a game world), whereas the second re-trod the same ground.

A third reason might be different audiences. PS audiences might be more interested in these type games. Not sure.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Gold Member
this kinda shit is annoying . Why do we have to have a time frame to play the fucking game? been waiting for this game for 1-2 years but I’m finishing another game first.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Interesting. Very similar games with the exact same critical reception, but very different results.

Lack of marketing would be one obvious reason. The first one had a lot of marketing; this one had very little.

A second reason would be that the first game was the first. It was an unknown quantity, therefore more intriguing, whereas most people knew what to expect with Hellblade 2. The first game was also innovative in some ways (e.g., attempt to translate schizophrenia into a game world), whereas the second re-trod the same ground.
I absolutely agree with that. Part I had a surprise factor, which made many people eager to experience it - and many were impressed by the atmosphere. In addition, walking simulators didn't have such a bad reputation back then (as far as I remember) because they weren't released that often. This is why you could still accept the limited gameplay of Hellblade I.

Nowadays we have already experienced a number of walking simulators and would like to see more depth from our mid-generation games. But Hellblade II is a tech demo that took several years of development, but offers hardly any gameplay and recycles many of the "surprises" of its predecessor, which is simply not enough.

Elios83

The writing was already on the wall.
What do you expect from a 5 hours interactive graphical demo thrown on a service that devalues games like Gamepass?
Some people tried it and moved on within a single day.

It's obvious that if Ninja Theory survives this (I have doubts...) they will have to completely change genre and business model for their next game.

jroc74

A third reason might be different audiences. PS audiences might be more interested in these type games. Not sure.
Yup.

Just on amount of users alone it could do better on PS5. It is what it is.

One of the last times something similar happened was Rise of the Tomb Raider coming a year later to PS4. Not sure it did better but it didnt hurt the game that much with the 1 year delay.

That said....it would be outright hilarious if Redfall comes to PS5.

Last edited:

cireza

Didn't play the first one, tried this sequel because it was in Game Pass. Unbelievable visuals and sound design. But still no interest, as far as I am concerned. This is hardly a game. GaaS has nothing to do with it.

Such a game should be sold at retail at full price, for people who enjoy this type of experience in order to make a few bucks. With it being in Game Pass, it won't ever make a profit. Dumbest idea.

Should find a much better audience on Playstation. More consoles, and probably more the type of games people enjoy there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom