• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 11 families sue Saudi Arabia over terror attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marquis

Banned
Not only is the U.S partially to blame for its ignorance in both supporting the rebels pre 9-11 but this would just open the flood gates to the U.S. being sued by so many other countries.

see5harp

Think about it. Half of this country doesn't even like their tax money going to provide for poor americans. You think they want their money going to pay for dead afghan women and children?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So when does Iran get to sue the US for blowing up a civilian airline of theirs, for giving weapons (including chemical weapons which he used on Iranians and Kurds) and funds to Saddam Hussein when he invaded them, and helping to orchestrate the overthrow of Mossadegh? Hell can Vietnam sue for the continued destruction of human life that's being caused by Agent Orange? Or what about that, "oops" missile strike on that Sudanese pharmaceutical factory in the late 90s. Can the families of the workers sue the US for that as well? Can't wait for the class action lawsuit from the families of the numerous innocent people blown up by drones when they targeted the wrong people. Saudi Arabia is a shitstain beyond measure, but this bill was insanely short sighted. It only works if American honestly believe everything they do is right, even when they mess up.

I'm not American so honestly I wouldn't care if the US gets sued to hell and back. My point was that this isn't setting any precedent because the precedent has already been set when the US allowed citizens to sue countries like Iran.

Dierce

Just to think. For years now we've been living under a delicate web of diplomacy and withstood horrible events but with limited scope. And all of a sudden, that might just completely collapse and we will see war between nations leading to millions of casualties just because some nationalists like to wave their tiny dicks around.

So lawsuits won't matter in the end but the perception of aggression.

Dopus

Banned
Good

I hope they win. SA has gotten away with shit for far too long.

And this would not be setting any new precedent in terms of suing a nation for damages as Iran has been sued by Americans in the past.

The same could be said for the United States. It has done far more damage to other nations and peoples.

Wouldn't this require some form of acknowledgement from our own Gov that SA had anything to do with the attacks? It never feels like we got that. Hell, shouldn't they be suing Iraq? :p

Why do you act like this law backfiring is a bad thing? Wouldn't it result in maybe more attention and oversight happening with these kind of things? Or people just mad that it could affect their country's budget?

This.
---------------
If others file lawsuits against the US, wonder what the us defense will say...

-tried making world better place
-taking down terrorists
-giving democracy/rights to the countries
-reparations were paid/spent in said countries?

Time will tell.

I'm almost certain that these defences can be fought off if you take into account what actually ended up happening in the countries.

Tried making the world a better place? Instead we have conflicts, strained relations between Muslims and US due to history, the never ending war in Middle-East due to USA relations with Israel.

Taking down terrorists? Was that worth losing tons of civilians and having their blood on your hands?

Giving democracy/rights to countries? Who said that was the responsibility of the States to be the world police? Furthermore, you could look at what they've actually done that hurt democracy.

Reparations is something I think would be a bit tricky and dependent on who we're talking about.

LIke someone said, that is a ridiculous rabbit hole to go down in.

Linkark07

Banned
Superb. Thanks US Congress for passing this law, despite Obama vetoing it. Going to start rallying and have my government sue the US.

Jeels

This is bull. They may as well sue their own government since we are largely responsible for the Taliban, just as much as Saudi and a host of other countries.

fireflame

I have watched a documentary that explained how royal family and extremist religious group cooperated. Basically it explained that Royal family supported Wahhabist extremists, an extremist group frowned upon by most of muslims, and that this cooperation certainly contributed to the rise of extremism in the world.

Fir example they took advantage of the opposition between Nacer and the West during the Cold War, to supportMuslim Brotherhood.

It wa also explained that Mecca underwent degradation partly because of extremists, but that no one was able to protest, which was seen as a paradox by some muslims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom