• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Settle a dispute: Were Shyamalan's movies originally books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
<snip> just clutter

I'm on the NO side, btw

And imdb.com doesn't have a "novel" credit, though that may be because it's the same person....but I doubt that....

I think he wrote them all himself.

If they were books at one point, he blatantly stole everything from them and took credit for it himself. Pulled a Tarantino...

So, I don't think they are books. I've never heard anything to say that they were once books.

Socreges

Banned
MaverickX9 said:
I think he wrote them all himself.

If they were books at one point, he blatantly stole everything from them and took credit for it himself. Pulled a Tarantino...
I guess there WAS good reason to have the convo in there then.

My friend was saying that Shyamalan wrote the books himself. Then adapted them.

So, I don't think they are books. I've never heard anything to say that they were once books.
Same.

Ecrofirt said:
just curious, but which books did Tarantino do that to?

None, I was referring to another medium.

Tarantino did adapt Jackie Browne from a book, but he gave credit to Elmore Leonard.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
To answer the main question, none of Shyamalan's films are adaptions... whether there are any issues of plagiarism, I have no idea.

Karg said:
But he has admitted that he steals from other movies.

So does The Simpsons. There's a difference between pop culture/movie references or homages and actually ripping off the plots and dialogues of other movies ffs. Aside from Reservoir Dogs which Tarantino supposedly (as in, according to a bunch of internet geeks and no one else) ripped off from some obscure Japanese(?) movie, what has he ripped off?

Flynn

Optimistic said:
So does The Simpsons. There's a difference between pop culture/movie references or homages and actually ripping off the plots and dialogues of other movies ffs. Aside from Reservoir Dogs which Tarantino supposedly (as in, according to a bunch of internet geeks and no one else) ripped off from some obscure Japanese(?) movie, what has he ripped off?

Rent City on Fire (Chinese) and tell me that it's not the same story as Reservoir Dogs, except in told in order, sans "colorful" characters.

Optimistic said:
(as in, according to a bunch of internet geeks and no one else) ripped off from some obscure Japanese(?) movie, what has he ripped off?

You need to watch City on Fire before you can make any type of judgement about whether or not he stole anything.

Fix

Banned
Yes. They were based on old choose-your-own-adventure books with half the pages torn out to create unexpected twists.

welll i guess everyone who has ever produced a work of fiction could be accused of 'stealing' from other works. chances are that most 'stories' have already been done.

i guess its the degree of the theft...

Frank Herbert wanted (did) to sue Lucas because he felt that SW stole most of the "best" ideas from DUNE.

Harlon Ellison sued my guru because of the similarities with 2 of his tv scripts.

Tarantino could have cleared himself if he said R.dogs was a homage to City on Fire. (he even lifted EXACT shots from the movie)

but as Mckee said: artists steal, great artists steal and make BETTER.

Templar Wizard said:
welll i guess everyone who has ever produced a work of fiction could be accused of 'stealing' from other works. chances are that most 'stories' have already been done.

i guess its the degree of the theft...

Frank Herbert wanted (did) to sue Lucas because he felt that SW stole most of the "best" ideas from DUNE.

Harlon Ellison sued my guru because of the similarities with 2 of his tv scripts.

Tarantino could have cleared himself if he said R.dogs was a homage to City on Fire. (he even lifted EXACT shots from the movie)

but as Mckee said: artists steal, great artists steal and make BETTER.

I don't think there is any doubt that almost every work of fiction has some sort of influence behind it.

There is a distinct line, though, between influences and stealing. Short of direct remakes (where, obviously, credit is given), I've never seen anything quite like what Tarantino did with City on Fire. Obviously tons of movies have had similar story lines or similar plot twists, but there aren't too many that have the EXACT same story line right down to the very last detail.

Based on that, I'd have to say that while some artists do steal...great artists are completely original. It has been that way throughout history. Just look at the evolution of paintings and music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom