• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven Months After Smash Bros. Tournament, Organizers Say They Can't Pay The Winners

Makonero

Some of the world’s best Smash Bros. players say they are owed thousands of dollars for their performances in a tournament called BEAST 7 held in Sweden last February.

Adam “Armada” Lindgren, the first place winner in the event’s Super Smash Bros. Melee bracket, tweeted yesterday that BEAST 7 had yet to provide “an explanation of exactly where all the money went,” and that the situation had been “handled in a really unprofessional way. Guess I have to talk to the other winners and see what we will do.”

Ramin “Mr. R” Delshad, who placed first in Smash 4 at BEAST 7, also posted yesterday about his missing winnings. He noted that head tournament organizer Alexander “Lolex” Gabrielsson had not responded to his emails since April, and that the rest of the BEAST tournament organizers had told him “not post anything about Lolex until their official statement.”

Compete reached out to Delshad, Lindgren and Lolex for further details yesterday and today, but did not hear back before press time. But it appears very unlikely that the players will be paid, based on comments other tournament officials have made publicly and to Compete.

The BEAST representative’s statement to Compete went on to say, “The winnings unfortunately cannot be paid out. The money intended to go to prizes has been spent to pay for the unexpectedly high costs of hosting the tournament. The intent was never to make people forget and move on when delaying the information about the prize money. We were concerned for the health of Lolex and chose to not push him too hard, since we still needed his cooperation.” When pressed about the nature of the concerns about Lolex’s health, the BEAST rep clarified, “His mental health.”

When asked by Compete about other methods for paying out the tournament winnings, the BEAST rep responded: “some form of donation or bailout, which seems highly unlikely.”

While competitive gaming is on the rise, it remains an all too common sight to see players complaining about not getting paid their winnings. In July, we reported that winners of the 2016 CS:GO World Championships haven’t yet been paid, seven months after that event happened. A year ago, esports company Doesplay went out of business and disappeared, still owing thousands of dollars to players in prize money. Last May, several prominent Smash players voiced interest in unionizing in an effort to combat tournament over-scheduling and erratic pay-out timelines.

More here

smurfx

get some go again
Ain't just Smash.

Go ahead and ask any FGC member about "Da Beach" and see what kind of replies you get.
a lot of players are very gullible and will fall for it every time. people should have known not to trust triforce and yet they did.

Malice215

1. There's lots of tournaments each week competing for the same number of players. You're going to see events use tournament winnings to cover expenses when they go over budget, or tournaments with no track record announced out of nowhere making big promises. Do your research on which events to attend.

2. It's Da Beech! RIP.

Yo, this is DancingFighterG.

I still remember when he bounced with the money from SC4 Nationals.

BiggNife

Why does the Smash community seem to attract incompetent organizers?
It's not limited to Smash. Tournament organization is a fucking nightmare and if you don't know what you're doing shit can fall apart really quickly.

I co-ran a tournament at my college and even just having 20-30 people to keep track of was incredibly nerve wracking. I remember being a complete mess the entire day and somehow it didn't fall apart.

E: Also Da Beech will never not be funny

Pretty messed up all around. And how you gonna have a "World Championship" for CSGO and not pay the players in a timely manner?

NotLiquid

Lolex is a piece of shit.

Not that the rest of the BEAST staff have been handling it well (Mr. R's Twitlonger is worth a read), but I can't blame the aggravation on their end having to deal with a petty scum fuck who was outed for coercion and sexual harassment only weeks after the tournament ended.

Popnbake

Why does the Smash community seem to attract incompetent organizers?

It's not uncommon that TOs should expect to loose money while hosting these events.

If their explanation is to be believed then these TOs underestimated just how costly it can get.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
These players are so greedy, I play video games for free, so why can't they?
/s

Top Bottom