• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Proving 0.5 Is Better Than 9

Oh yeah, while I'm thinking about it, PSN has the other games on sale at the moment. Risky's Revenge: Director's Cut is $2.50 & Pirate's Curse is only $5 (both PS+ prices). Already got Pirate's Curse on 3DS, but is Risky's Revenge worth getting if I liked Pirate's Curse, but honestly found the original GBC game directionless since I had no idea where to go nor where I was going?
Risky's Revenge is slower than Pirate's Curse both in pacing and speed. Shantae walks slower than in her later two ganes. Plus the game has an abrupt story due to the fact that this game was planned for the GBA (or was it DS) and in a way is unfinished. It's still a good game!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ret-2-Go.

Im finishing up the early backer version. I think I'll wait until an update with DLC before I play through it again.

Jobbs

Banned
Been playing this on ps4 since getting the early backer code. Fantastic game, loads of fun. I enjoyed the silly characters and going back through old levels looking for secrets. One of WFs best games.

CazTGG

XXw0943.jpg
Info
Release Date – Kickstarters backers: Out Now (All platforms, all regions)! Digital (All platforms, all regions) - Dec 20, 2016 | Retail - Dec 20, 2016 (All non-Wii U platforms)| Wii U retail - Dec 27, 2016 (All regions)
Price – Digital - $20 USD, $27 CAD | Retail - $30 USD
Genre- Action Platformer, Metroid-like
Platforms - Wii U, Vita, PS4, PC, Xbox One

Disclosure
Before we begin, a little disclosure: When the Kickstarter for Half-Genie Hero began, I backed the game at the contributor tier, meaning you'll be seeing my [YouTube channel’s] name somewhere in the credits. With that out of the way, let’s get ret-2-go, shall we?
tQSLJq4.png

After gaining back her half-genie powers during the end of Shantae & The Pirate’s Curse, the titular Shantae is on a new adventure as she helps her Uncle Mimic build a new machine to help keep the city safe...mostly because she's got nothing else to do after getting fired (again) from the town's ungrateful mayor and a new replacement genie is brought in to protect Scuttle Town. Throughout the game's five chapters, she'll uncover a conspiracy surrounding Sequin Land's mermaids, enter a carpet-based race and discover more about the Genie Realm.
CQXl3sS.png

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is a return to the dance-based exploration found in entries prior to Shantae & the Pirate's Curse. Be it through beating a level or uncovering them yourself, you'll assemble an arsenal of dances and abilities that will expand the various paths and items like heart holders to increase health and keys to unlock concept art in a given level. There's a lot of streamlining in comparison to past games, with areas of the map being broken up into levels with the ability to warp back to town at any time. Speaking of previous entries...
vCDpccR.png

Shantae: The game that started it all, the original Shantae seems relatively odd when you consider how much more streamline the series has become. A mixture of CastleVania II: Simon's Quest by way of the Legend of Zelda, Shantae is often called the Game Boy Color's swan song since it arrived about a year after the Game Boy Advance had arrived, a date which was not lost on the developers as they included some new features for those playing the game on Nintendo's newest handheld. It is currently available on the Nintendo 3DS eShop for those of you that aren't made out of money.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge: The first sequel in the series [to not get canned], Risky's Revenge finds Shantae facing off against Risky Boots in a race to uncover three magic seals that could spell danger for the people of Sequin Land. It is currently available on the Nintendo 3DS, the Wii U, PC, iOS, the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4. As a sequel to the original, it's far less confusing to navigate through the given areas and the dances are a marked improvement. Still, it doesn't hold a candle to...

Shantae & the Pirate's Curse: Considered to be the best entry in the series, Pirate's Curse ditches the dancing in favor of cannons and captain hats. This time around, Shantae is forced to work with her former nemesis, Risky Boots, in order to prevent her master from rising from the dead. Changing the game from the slightly tedious transformations to a swashbuckling adventure works surprisingly well thanks to some excellent level design and a boatload of humor to boot. It is currently available on the Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PC and PlayStation 4.
NvymxAO.png

IGN - 8/10

Destructoid - 7.5/10

8jpS8uG.png

Is this game a sequel to Shantae & The Pirate's Curse or a reboot?

A: It is a sequel to Shantae & the Pirate's Curse, albeit it's very loosely connected. The Shantae series has never weighed heavily on continuity between each entry aside from the ocassional in-joke, with Half-Genie Hero following this tradition with a couple of references to the events in previous entries (I got fired again?!).
Is this title cross-buy on PSN?

A: No, the Vita and Playstation 4 versions are sold separately.
How does the Vita version fare? I need my Shantae fix on the go, dangit!

A: Speaking from my experience, the Vita version runs as smoothly as its console counterparts with a consistent framerate of 60. The only area where any noticeable slowdown occurs is during the Mermaid Falls but it
How long is the game?

A: Half-Genie Hero will take you about the same time to beat as previous Shantae games, meaning somewhere between 6-8 hours on your first playthrough (I clocked in at a little over 7 hours). Ultimately, it depends on how dedicated you are to finding every single heart container and key for concept art. Speaking of...

I can't find ___ in ___level!

A: That's not a question. In any case, many backers have already beaten and/or 100% completed the game so do not hesitate to ask them for help in tracking down any key item(s) you just can't seem to find.
What was up with Shantae being whiter than the Republican National Convention during the Kickstarter?

A: Right, about that...
During the early days of the Kickstarter, there was some concern about Shantae’s character looking far more pale than she had in previous entries, with some assuming Wayforward deliberately whitewashed the character for what would be her console debut. As it turned out, Wayfoward was aware of this since the reason for the change in skin tone was that the team were experimenting with the lighting due to the background and that it wouldn’t be that be how she appeared in the final game.
Wayforward said:
"Hi friends! Since there were a lot of comments regarding skin tone, we lined up all the Shantae artwork from past games, and the skin tones are all over the board. We've always left this to artist discretion in the past. However, this new artwork does stand out as the lightest she's been since back in the GBC days, so I'm sure we'll adjust it once we have our character lineup established. This is a great example of Kickstarter comments shaping the eventual product, so please make your opinions heard!"
As a result, they quickly changed her skin color to more closely resemble how she looked in the original and Risky’s Revenge but you can still see the difference in skin tone compared to the final design via images and the trailer for the Kickstarter announcement.
885x.jpg

What's with the thread title?
A: Look, stop asking questions and just play the game already!

OTp6Fjv.png

Screenshots:

Trailers
Announcement Trailer: https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/620152/video-284353-h264_high.mp4
E3 2015 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhhFGQ3rl0
E3 2016 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr_dtRgC144

A special thanks to AlexFlame116 for providing the header images for the OT.

Got my Kickstarter key sorted. I was waiting for the achievements to come online before I started. Looks like the game released so I'll start playing this week. Excited!

RedToad64

I started playing earlier today and it has been a blast! The new art style is fantastic and the tunes are super catchy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does pausing the game to go into your items still count towards the time when trying to speedrun?

ymgve

I had some issues with the game freezing on me, until I noticed that it coincided with WebGL crashing in Chrome. Close down Chrome before playing.

RMI

Banned
Backed this on the WiiU for some reason... Wish I had picked a different platform. Looking forward to trying it though.

Oh wait. I just realized that OP is a different person than the one who was almost done with the OT. Yikes.
If the user's completely fine with sharing their progress, I'll gladly incorporate whatever material they have with the opening post! Shantae definitely deserves better presentation than I could pull together in an hour, but the closure of the Kickstarter thread locked out discussion in the wake of its early release for backers so I volunteered to post an official topic in its absence. Apologies for whoever was making the original post as I couldn't find a solid answer across the various threads.

A funny little note is that I've never beaten a Shantae game at this time. I just recently received hard copies of Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse for the PS4 from Limited Run Games. What little amount that I spend in their opening moments left such an impression that I ordered Half-Genie earlier this morning along with the small pressing of Wild Guns: Reloaded through Amazon. I look forward to having a marathon of the HD "trilogy" within the next few months, but I don't mind dealing with spoilers if somehow necessary for operating the OP.

bomblord1

Banned
If the user's completely fine with sharing their progress, I'll gladly incorporate whatever material they have with the opening post! Shantae definitely deserves better presentation than I could pull together in an hour, but the closure of the Kickstarter thread locked out discussion in the wake of its early release for backers so I volunteered to post an official topic in its absence. Apologies for whoever was making the original post as I couldn't find a solid answer across the various threads.

A funny little note is that I've never beaten a Shantae game at this time. I just recently received hard copies of Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse for the PS4 from Limited Run Games. What little amount that I spend in their opening moments left such an impression that I ordered Half-Genie earlier this morning along with the small pressing of Wild Guns: Reloaded through Amazon. I look forward to having a marathon of the HD "trilogy" within the next few months, but I don't mind dealing with spoilers if somehow necessary for operating the OP.

The other 2 are here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326933
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326921

Aeana

Man, almost two weeks and I couldn't get anybody to make an OT and now we've got 3. The other one is more established, but I'll merge them so that the contents of this one can be moved into the OP of the other one if the other OP agrees.

Ogodei

Damn, this came out today? I've been seeing the kickstarter updates, but thought The One would be easier to spot in my inbox.

Nice, just when i was starting to get bored of Sun and Moon.

Man, almost two weeks and I couldn't get anybody to make an OT and now we've got 3. The other one is more established, but I'll merge them so that the contents of this one can be moved into the OP of the other one if the other OP agrees.
Patience is a virtue. Or in this case, competition does wonders.

Good idea to mix everything though!
This OT is way better than the other one.
EDIT: Actually the threads are combined so now I don't know which one you were talking about heheh...

I'm ready right now to merge CazTGG's content into the opening post if that's fine; however, if the moderation team would prefer honoring Caz's work than I'm down with switching out with the other thread assuming it's possible.

I'm ready right now to merge CazTGG's content into the opening post if that's fine; however, if the moderation team would prefer honoring Caz's work than I'm down with switching out with the other thread assuming it's possible.
Good guy Godzilla! Thanks for the work!

If the threads do merge then keep the 0.5 title. Savage as f.

Listen I hate Mighty no. 9 as much as the next guy (I backed it for $250, I backed Shantae too). But you honestly couldn't think of a better thread title? Seems petty.

Aeana

If you're both okay with it, then just put what you want into your OP (and give credit)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Note for anyone considering double-dipping on this for PS4/Vita- the game does NOT have a cross-save feature.

I am really enjoying the hell out of this game. It's like stepping into a time machine and going back to the glory days of amazing 16-bit platformers.

mreddie

Listen I hate Mighty no. 9 as much as the next guy (I backed it for $250, I backed Shantae too). But you honestly couldn't think of a better thread title? Seems petty.

Both campaigns started at the same time and many believed this wouldn't do as well because MN9 took all the attention, luckily, the campaign went over in the last days and now both campaigns have their games out...with opposite sides of success.

Petty? Maybe.
Again, I wasn't expecting it as the main OT title.

Cheerilee

Honestly it's thanks to Mighty No. 9 mentioning Half-Genie Hero during the Kickstarter phase that pushed the donations over the limit.

But if Shantae hadn't been overshadowed by Mighty No 9, it might not have needed that assist in the first place. Or maybe the hype from Mighty No 9 put more eyes on Kickstarter and Shantae (even before the friendly endorsement), who knows.

Mighty No 9 getting funded is apparently what inspired IGA to walk out on Konami and try to make Bloodstained on his own, so if that one does well Mighty No 9's positive impact on the industry might easily stretch farther than it's own failed game.

But if Shantae hadn't been overshadowed by Mighty No 9, it might not have needed that assist in the first place. Or maybe the hype from Mighty No 9 put more eyes on Kickstarter and Shantae (even before the friendly endorsement), who knows.

Mighty No 9 getting funded is apparently what inspired IGA to walk out on Konami and try to make Bloodstained on his own, so if that one does well Mighty No 9's positive impact on the industry might easily stretch farther than it's own failed game.
Hmm...good point. I guess at the end, we got the game so it's all good! Though I do wish it got more money.

Either way everyone wins.
Except for Mighty No. 9.

Hey at least the game is out right? I'm just glad we didn't get a Project Phoenix situation again!

I'm so glad that I donated 1 dollar instead of the 250 that I was going to do for that game...

JackelZXA

Boy this thread title...
tumblr_mtajazO9g41rjv5flo1_500.png

A table turner.

(I've 100%'d HGH both on Early Access AND on PS4, and I still haven't got it in me to go back and try to beat MN9 again. MN9 is just so low quality but this game is aces and shows how much more skill WayForward has in developing AND shipping what they promised.)

One thing that I've heard alot is that when HGH KS launched there were only 2 shantae games out (GBC and RR) so it was still pretty niche. It wasn't until Pirate's Curse came out that people really got into the series in a big way with it's much expanded lore, characters, and fuller gameplay. Had the KS launched AFTER that game it may have been enough to get it through the stretch goals on it's own merits.

Really love the game though. Can't wait for the dlc's to come out. In an interview like a year ago I think it was said that the stuff that didn't get funded MIGHT have a shot if the game sells well enough and DLC interest is there. I would love a special edition with animated cutscenes, full (optional?) voice acting, and 2 extra levels sandwiched right before the end of the game to really boost this game up to truly rival Pirates' Curse.
(It's like Pirate's Curse is Sonic 2 and HGH is like Sonic 3, but the remaining kickstarter tiers would have been Sonic 3 & Knuckles..)

marmoka

Banned
Dat title... XD

I wanted to get the PS4 version, but due to certain circumstances, I cannot play there right now.

Is the Wii U version out? If so I will purchase that one.

JackelZXA

Don't hate the adorable Mermaid Queen.

I thought the mermaid queen was a really great idea in communicating a narrative during the fight. "Oh she's mad at the cage. Wait is she just going on a rampage?" and then you get the happy ending where it's all okay. (Though I do kinda wanna fight Techno Baron at some point.)

I do wanna say I think Ammo Baron has become a standout character in the series. With his thread in RR left dangling they ended up filling that with so much content that it kind of turned him into the second most important villain next to Risky. I wouldn't mind another game centered on him. His fight (and idle stance) are great in HGH. I feel like Hypno Baron is really under-developed for how much of a serious design he has. (His dialog is kind of a goof in this game, kind of hope he gets a solid chunk of a later game, too.) Seeing all 4 of them rally together could be fun in a future game.

Top Bottom