• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered (Fan remake)

One talented fan has just finished creating a Movie of the first Shenmue game. For those who remember, Shenmue 2 on the original xbox was bundled with a half assed Shenmue 1 movie.

Mr 357 has recreated the entire movie in full HD, with widescreen support, and captured much of the missing content that was missing from the original movie.

If you have a few hours to kill, give it a watch. Those who know nothing about Shenmue and are slightly intrigued, check it out.

The outcome of his work is very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOs3FX-29Fg

683015-heartbreakers_020.jpg

Footos22

He really didn't need to add all that stuff. Its all filler. The voice acting is also 50x worse then I remember it lol.

Trace

Banned
He really didn't need to add all that stuff. Its all filler. The voice acting is also 50x worse then I remember it lol.

Yea I tried playing it recently, having never tried it before. I couldn't make it five minutes, the voice acting is horrendous, also disgusting quality.

Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to watch later!

While I haven't watched it yet, to those complaining about filler, I do agree that framed as a "movie," it likely does have quite a bit of unnecessary content, especially since the official movie really did cover the story (albeit in a rushed manner) in 1.5 hours. However, the "filler" in the actual game is what makes Shenmue special, IMO, so I'm excited that it is in here.

Plus, Shenmue isn't the easiest game to emulate without bugs/glitches, so being able to have a lengthy upscaled and widescreen look at the game in a nearly glitch-free manner is exciting, too.

brett2

Shenmue fans once again showing that they are the best. The visuals look really nice - people that don't think it has aged well must have no idea what 90s 3d graphics actually looked like. I wish Sega would put out the HD remake already - maybe at E3?

celsowmbr

Banned
Well IMO the problem of Shenmue 1 English goes beyond the voice actors, the bad sound quality of the voices is noticeable.

The volume, for example is very irregular. Sometimes I wonder if the studio used low-quality equipments.

For a HD remaster I think that a remastering in the voices audio (adjusting the volume, for example) can improve a little bit the English version of the game.

I still have my Xbox DVD (or whatever it is) and my actual Dreamcast copy of the game but this is great for a quick recap before Shenmue 3.

I'll probably watch this at work as well, though.

The Orz

The game hasn't aged well. At all.

I don't understand comments like this. Aged well? It's a game, not a child television star. Conform to its rule set and the expectations of the era and you're good to go.

Mind you, that's not saying an HD facelift and improved audio wouldn't be appreciated. I'd even settle for just 1080p and wide screen support.

NateDrake

Says you, it still looks gorgeous.

Visually the game has held up. Gameplay is extremely dated.

I don't understand comments like this. Aged well? It's a game, not a child television star. Conform to its rule set and the expectations of the era and you're good to go.

Mind you, that's not saying an HD facelift and improved audio wouldn't be appreciated. I'd even settle for just 1080p and wide screen support.
The gameplay needs the facelift. Tank controls and whatnot wouldn't work well in today's market.

It's not even a knock on the game. It was brilliant for its time.

Krejlooc

Banned
Visually the game has held up. Gameplay is extremely dated.

The gameplay needs the facelift. Tank controls and whatnot wouldn't work well in today's market.

It's not even a knock on the game. It was brilliant for its time.

What you are describing are the controls, which were antiquated even upon release, not the gameplay. The gameplay - which is split up into 4 components (Fighting style, adventure style, QTE, and Dialog tree) is obviously not dated, considering those 4 components are still the foundation of virtually every AAA game out there.

Hesh

What you are describing are the controls, which were antiquated even upon release, not the gameplay. The gameplay - which is split up into 4 components (Fighting style, adventure style, QTE, and Dialog tree) is obviously not dated, considering those 4 components are still the foundation of virtually every AAA game out there.

This. Shenmue is not Grand Theft Auto. Never was, never will be. Shenmue is Shenmue, an interactive neo noir story. Saying the gameplay is antiquated or wouldn't hold up today is just ignorant.

Fraxin

This was way much better than the movie that came with Shenmue II on Xbox. Didn't actually know that you can check about
the Phoenix mirror other than Russia China Shop.

NateDrake

It was brilliant for its time, ushered in revolutionary new game ideas, and changed the industry. You can recognize the game for what it contributed during its time, but it doesn't make the game perfect for eternity.

Dialogue tree? You press A and the characters spoke to each other in Shenmue 1.

Fraxin

Is it me being nostalgic or is the game still considered one of the most detailed? I barely play sandbox games, the npcs don't seem interesting or as lively as Shenmue. The side quests really develop the characters further.

Krejlooc

Banned
It was brilliant for its time, ushered in revolutionary new game ideas, and changed the industry. You can recognize the game for what it contributed during its time, but it doesn't make the game perfect for eternity.

Dialogue tree? You press A and the characters spoke to each other in Shenmue 1.

You have dialog choices with Nozomi that directly affects the way she interacts with you in the game.

cj_iwakura

It helps. It's still a lot of fun to play, which makes it timeless.

SenkiDala

It would have been better with japanese voices + english subtitles, the english dubbing is horrible. Also he should have left the game in 4:3, the 16:9 mode make everything pop up and pop out on the sides of the screen. :/

But it's still cool, thanks for the effort.

So if I haven't played the first one would watching this be a good recap of the game?

Go watch any generic soap opera. Shenmue was written by 10 y/olds.

Seriously, I loved Shenmue when it came out, but this weird ass bringing it back from the dead thing is fucked.

Krejlooc

Banned
Go watch any generic soap opera. Shenmue was written by 10 y/olds.

Seriously, I loved Shenmue when it came out, but this weird ass bringing it back from the dead thing is fucked.

I seriously doubt you "loved shenmue when it came out."

and funny that you insult 10 year olds, when your complaint is essentially "It's old!" with excessive profanity.

So if I haven't played the first one would watching this be a good recap of the game?

It's a better recap than either the one included in the DC copy of Shenmue 2 (which was like 7 minutes long) or the Xbox copy of Shenmue II (which was like an hour long). I'd still recommend actually playing the games, though. But yeah, you could pretty easily jump into Shenmue II after watching this. Shenmue I is light on the story compared to Shenmue II.

JamesAR15

It's a better recap than either the one included in the DC copy of Shenmue 2 (which was like 7 minutes long) or the Xbox copy of Shenmue II (which was like an hour long). I'd still recommend actually playing the games, though. But yeah, you could pretty easily jump into Shenmue II after watching this. Shenmue I is light on the story compared to Shenmue II.

Thanks man, been meaning to start playing the 1st one but of course other stuff got in the way. If I don't get to eventually I may just watch this and jump into 2.

Yes.

It's better than the Xbox Shenmue 2 one, which is what I went off when I started my 2 playthrough last year. I wanted to play 1 first, but then my DC died and I took that as a sign to just forge ahead into 2.

An HD remake with better graphics and VA would be magical. Not sure how likely that is, though (the VA part makes me say "not at all likely")

Top Bottom