• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I stick woth Cyberpunk?

Ever since I played Starfield (which I didn't finish) I've seen people saying how Cyberpunk was a superior RPG experience. I started that as well in the past but only got a few, like 3, hours in. I'm finding it such a drag to get through though. I'm 6 hours in and love the combat, but I feel like I barely get to engage in the world because of all the cutscenes and conversations.

I get it, it seems like a deep rpg. It's not meant to constantly run and gun like COD or something all the time. But does it eventually open up more? I'm a little past where you see Johnny using the mini gun in the chopper.

Again, I'm not knocking the game. It seems good, but does all the setup end or is it pretty slow moving with the combat areas?

Justin9mm

Yes it opens up to a lot more combat, it's open world, there's a lot of combat to engage in overall. Stick with it. I think this is the first time I'm ever hearing someone criticise the game for lack of combat. Also, Starfield I have played like maybe 6 or 7 hours, combat to me is shit! So I'm very confused by your opinion.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I get it, it seems like a deep rpg. It's not meant to constantly run and gun like COD or something all the time. But does it eventually open up more? I'm a little past where you see Johnny using the mini gun in the chopper.
You're right on the start of act 2, its when the game opens up more and you can go around town doing side-quest, activities and stuff.

I'd suggest sticking around a bit longer until you get back to your apartment and the game lets you roam around freely.

Barakov

Gold Member
Ever since I played Starfield (which I didn't finish) I've seen people saying how Cyberpunk was a superior RPG experience. I started that as well in the past but only got a few, like 3, hours in. I'm finding it such a drag to get through though. I'm 6 hours in and love the combat, but I feel like I barely get to engage in the world because of all the cutscenes and conversations.

Again, I'm not knocking the game. It seems good, but does all the setup end or is it pretty slow moving with the combat areas?
Do woth you want. I remember Cyberpunk ending pretty well the ending I got.

Metnut

It does open up a lot but if you’re not digging it now, I doubt it’s ever really going to hit for you.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Love cyberpunk you get access to more things as the game goes on like attributes, apartments, cars, I started a second play through to get ready for the DLC.

Yes it opens up to a lot more combat, it's open world, there's a lot of combat to engage in overall. Stick with it. I think this is the first time I'm ever hearing someone criticise the game for lack of combat. Also, Starfield I have played like maybe 6 or 7 hours, combat to me is shit! So I'm very confused by your opinion.
Nah I'm agreeing. Cyberpunks gunplay is far superior

killatopak

Lots of combat once the map opens up. The first one is like the introduction to many different systems the game has.

SteadyEvo

I finished Starfield. Not bad, 6.5-7/10. Looked forward to Cyberpunk after hearing so much praise with recent patches.

The game is a drag. The story is pretty cool but getting from point A to B, all the conversations breaking up the flow. The city itself is an eye sore. I dunno… I dropped it. Only paid $13 and will trade it in for $11 towards Mario Wonder tomorrow. It is what it is.

Nasigil

Neo Member
No I totally get it. The opening several hours of Cyberpunk is very linear and you feel like you are just going from cutscene to cutscene with very little openness. But you are pretty close to the part where everything opens up. Probably just another half an hour, I think, if you are already passed Johnny's memories.

Then the entire game opens up for you. The whole city. You can ignore the main quest for dozens of hours and just doing side stuff. The combat areas after for side missions are incredibly open and allows for a lot of freedom in playstyle and approaching paths. Stick with it for a few more hours and you will see what I meant.

yansolo

im on a second playthrough with cyberpunk after 2.0 and PL, it's one of my favourite games of all time. But you're allowed to not like it if its not your thing, if youre not enjoying it just drop it and play something else.

Dazraell

The game fully opens after Konpeki Plaza mission

What you may also enjoy are gigs (these missions marked with green icons). They're less story oriented and more focused around gameplay, giving you a certain objective and almost complete freedom in approaching it - stealth, gun blazing, hacking your way through, etc. The early game also doesn't give you full combat experience as all of the perks and implants unlocks various new tricks you can use in game. But when you will start leveling up, combat will start getting much more fast-paced

But in general, Cyberpunk is mostly a story-focused game. So moments without combat, cutscenes and conversations will always be a key part of the game. If you don't enjoy this type of experiences and it's not your thing, you may not like it

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They put a ton of their budget in the first 4 hours of the game. If that didn't grab you, the next 30 hours likely won't either.

My biggest issue with start of the game is that Jackie dude at the beginning.

I really don't wanna do the stuff he is doing with MC. I hope I get to dump him ASAP.

My biggest issue with start of the game is that Jackie dude at the beginning.

I really don't wanna do the stuff he is doing with MC. I hope I get to dump him ASAP.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

There is literally nothing more important in life than continuing to play games and watch TV shows that you don't actually enjoy. As I reflect on my life, my crowning achievements are all dogged refusals to go do something else and actually have fun. Because there's no honor in that.

So you gotta ask yourself, do you want to be a man of honor, or are you looking to become some kind of fun-loving piece of shit?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I don't know woth you are talking about
wōth n.
(a) The risk of harm or injury, danger, peril; a potential injury, a danger, perilous circumstance or situation [occas. difficult to distinguish from (b) and vice versa]; (b) harm, injury; an injury; also, an injurious or harmful situation; hit is gret (no) ~, great (no) harm will come of it, it will cause great (no) harm; (c) ?suffering, torment [2nd quot.]; a pain, punishment; wothes of helle, helle-wothes; (d) ?a desire or willingness to cause harm, injuriousness; haven ~, ?to behave villainously, be the cause of harm; (e) with diminished force, in phrase: withouten ~, assuredly, without doubt [cp. dred(e n. 4.(b) & wough n.(2) 1.(b)].

Do you not explore? How can you play 3 hours and be where you are? I spent at least a hour in desert messing around in menus, talking to people, watching things glitch (at launch), taking in the rtx graphics and fiddling with settings. When I got to the city I explored and found mini quests and events. Did a few quests and I just had the first implant thing by that time frame.

Rpgs are not fps games where you headlong play through the plot. I mean you could but you'd be loosing a lot doing that.

As others have said the game does open up, its overall a bad open world though. The game is a mash up of GTA, Assassins Creed and (a very bad take) on Deus Ex / Immersive Sim genre. The strengths are in the main story missions but it all feels hamfisted to be honest. There are so many better open world games out there. I wouldnt even consider this game an RPG.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Do you not explore? How can you play 3 hours and be where you are? I spent at least a hour in desert messing around in menus, talking to people, watching things glitch (at launch), taking in the rtx graphics and fiddling with settings. When I got to the city I explored and found mini quests and events. Did a few quests and I just had the first implant thing by that time frame.

Rpgs are not fps games where you headlong play through the plot. I mean you could but you'd be loosing a lot doing that.

To be fair, not every life path intro is as open-ended as Nomad's. I played as Corpo and the opening segment was really short and linear. It took place in mostly two interiors. This is something I hope they will improve in a sequel as I feel each of the prologues should be more open and giving you enough freedom to explore before delving into the main story

Hestar69

I'm the same as you. the world looks amazing but the story and everything else is bleh IMO.I'll try to get back into it as I'm 15hrs in and I want to beat it to clear teh 69 gigs off my xbox lol

Top Bottom