• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull & Bones Delayed Again

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
This Is Fine GIF by 100% Soft

StueyDuck

I've played this game like 100 times already, 🤣 in betas and closed betas and playtests and all the different terms they like to use.

Each time the game ran really well and seemed pretty optimized, each time I think well they've delayed it so it must have radically changed, but nope still plays and looks and starts the same.

So unless endgame is like some ridiculous new thing and they can't get their head around how to develop it, their is no reason why this game shouldn't have released a while ago, at least from what I have played

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
How they messed this up so badly?

AFAIK Ubi took Singapore government money in a deal to make the game from there.

Outsourcing entire projects is notoriously difficult, there are all sorts of pitfalls, and in this case mismanagement ensued.

Usually this project would be cancelled by now, but from what I understand Ubi is locked in a deal where they're forced to ship the game at some time no matter.

Last edited:

SCB3

Just cut your losses on this and Beyond Good and Evil 2, seriously by the time they come out all the hype will be long dead

Ozriel

M$FT
Thread headline is misleading. The IGN article doesn’t say there’s another delay. In fact, it’s still releasing in the same window they provided earlier this year.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The only reason Dull & Boned still exists is because Ubisoft didn't realise they would have to pay back their millions in government funding if they didn't actually release the game.

They found this out when they tried to cancel it the first time and when handed the bill shit themselves and kept it going.

Rumor has it that they can't because they've taken some money from the Singaporean government and one of the terms was that the game has to come out as a product.

Beat me to it lol.

Last edited:

Hudo

Oof, well that definitely explains that. What a mess.
The tragic thing is that this should've been such a straightforward project: Take what you have from AC4, remove the assassin shit, expand on it with more boats, more refined ship battles, some meta-game component and a new/expanded map. I mean, it's not something I imagined Ubisoft would struggle with. Instead, they fucked it up left and right, it seems. Last thing I heard was that this is now gonna be a multiplayer-only live-service game.

It's crazy how they started conceptualizing this with Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Flag and it's been that long and we've not received anything to show from it. I'm so morbidly curious how this is gonna come out.

MiguelItUp

The tragic thing is that this should've been such a straightforward project: Take what you have from AC4, remove the assassin shit, expand on it with more boats, more refined ship battles, some meta-game component and a new/expanded map. I mean, it's not something I imagined Ubisoft would struggle with. Instead, they fucked it up left and right, it seems. Last thing I heard was that this is now gonna be a multiplayer-only live-service game.
Yeah, that sounds about right. It's beyond baffling, I mean, as someone that hasn't played Black Flag I kind of figured the development would be a cake walk much like you're saying. Take the things about ship combat that worked in BF, and just make it bigger and better. It's wild that it's become such a chore.

I hope this game ends up being a banger just cause of all the haters.
Sea of Thieves for some reason has an audience, maybe this will get one too.

This game is going to be one of the largest flops we've ever seen in the industry. There isn't a single person asking for this to be released.

People wanted multiplayer Black Flag, not what ever this trash is going to be.

Fredrik

This game has so much potential if they can do proper AAA quality and have a decent offline single player adventure. For me it would do what I’ve wanted from Sea of Thieves from the start. Just make a new AAA Pirates game with exploration and treasures to find on secret mystical islands and have nice water you can dive in full of underwater life. Can’t be that hard for Ubi to do. Black Flag+Odyssey

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
In what possible way will that help? They wouldn't get much for this game at all.
Millions more users and since S&B will likely have microtransactions, they have a better chance of making more money. They will get paid by MS to put on GP, and of course there will be players buying the game outright. more players=better experience (assuming the game is decent).

Millions more users and since S&B will likely have microtransactions, they have a better chance of making more money. They will get paid by MS to put on GP, and of course there will be players buying the game outright. more players=better experience (assuming the game is decent).

That isn't the approach I'd take. I'd take Sony's approach. Put it out full price everywhere, squeeze as much money out to cover costs and then launch it into PS+ essential and Gamepass Core simultaneously to get a second wind and a larger audience.

Gamepass alone is not the answer here. It's rarely the answer at all.

Top Bottom