• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls bombarded by negative Steam reviews after devs alter old artwork they felt was in 'poor taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decade-old fighting game Skullgirls has been hit with more than 600 negative Steam reviews in just 24 hours because of a patch that mostly tweaks and removes artwork that the developers say doesn't reflect their current "values" or "broad vision" for the future of the game. The overall Steam rating for Skullgirls remains "Very Positive," but its recent review average has tumbled down to "Mostly Negative."

h7bzSReMnDUYR2FEWARQue-970-80.jpg.webp

Left: The original artwork. Right: The patched artwork.

The Skullgirls "Content Updates and Revisions" patch was deployed on June 26, and affects the PC, console, and mobile versions of the game. The changes are summarized in a forum post by game director Charley Price, and target three aspects of Skullgirls:

• "Allusions to real-world hate groups" seen in the dress and iconography of Skullgirls' Black Egret army, particularly its Nazi-like red armbands
  • Instances in which characters "are fetishized and/or have sexualization imposed upon them," with particular attention toward younger characters
  • Some content "believed to be in poor taste" with regard to race
The developers at Hidden Variable and Future Club anticipated the backlash to the patch, and don't plan to comment further on the changes.

"We of course realize that some members of the Skullgirls community may disagree with these changes, either in terms of how we chose to address them or whether they were in fact issues that warranted addressing in the first place," wrote Price in his forum post. "Please know that all of these choices have been made following careful consideration and lengthy discussion amongst all members of the current development team. Beyond this post, we do not intend to discuss the particulars of these changes further."

It isn't all backlash, with a number of Skullgirls players now using the Steam reviews section to roll their eyes at the flood of grievances, writing positive reviews that accuse the review bombers of being low-playtime astroturfers, too horny for their own good, or both.

"Leaving this positive review to counter people with 5 hours saying the entire game is now bad because it's 1% less horny," wrote one reviewer who has more than 2,000 hours in Skullgirls.

At the time of writing, 169 positive and 659 negative Steam reviews for Skullgirls have been posted since June 26.

More details in this PC Gamer article: https://www.pcgamer.com/skullgirls-...lter-old-artwork-they-felt-was-in-poor-taste/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can you edit the Hoochie Con (a real thing) like ways most women dress today to get attention? Butt leggins, spandex goes a long way. Especially when you see kids dressing like whores (thanks to poor parenting). I would edit that first.

Tsaki

Pretty lame to censor the game like that, but stuff like this has me wondering: Do these review bombings actually harm the User Review system in the end? Like you'd think that something game breaking happened for this reaction. Imagine someone pretty casual asked you 'What happened and everyone hates the game now' and your answer is 'Oh they've patched the game to hide the panty shots'. I've even seen negative reviews show up to games because its sequel was shit or something marketing/corporate wise rubbed people the wrong way.
I don't know, these weekend outrages have happened so often that I really can't take them seriously half the time, before I have even opened the link to read about them.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Such a weird thing to get up in arms about, everyone agrees it's a tiny change. So, why the negative reviews and pearl clutching?

"I need to see cartoon buttocks!" said one steam reviewer who said that "snowflakes" are ruining everything, while not realising how closely they resembled a card emblazoned with "Season's Greetings"

Looks like there was some drama with the creator and some employees, claims of sexual harassment etc, don’t know the truth of the situation but the phrasing of the “current” dev team perked my ears up. Seems like he was ousted, and now they’re taking it upon themselves to scribble fig leaves over the art that made the game successful. It’s a shame, I’ve never looked at skullgirls and thought those look like little girls. Someone is projecting their disgusting desires onto the game and censoring it to hide their own shame.

Elysium44

Banned
Such a weird thing to get up in arms about, everyone agrees it's a tiny change. So, why the negative reviews and pearl clutching?

"I need to see cartoon buttocks!" said one steam reviewer who said that "snowflakes" are ruining everything, while not realising how closely they resembled a card emblazoned with "Season's Greetings"

You don't get to use sex to sell a product and then change it after the customer paid. Why is there a moral panic in society nowadays about sexy clothing? In fictional video game characters?

Looks like there was some drama with the creator and some employees, claims of sexual harassment etc, don’t know the truth of the situation but the phrasing of the “current” dev team perked my ears up. Seems like he was ousted, and now they’re taking it upon themselves to scribble fig leaves over the art that made the game successful. It’s a shame, I’ve never looked at skullgirls and thought those look like little girls. Someone is projecting their disgusting desires onto the game and censoring it to hide their own shame.
That happened in 2020. Doesn't seem to have any relation to this. There was also other censorship not related to fanservice as well, plus the removal of the Soviet Announcer Pack (parody pack inspired by Potemkin from Guilty Gear), from what I read.

Edit: The Soviet Announcer Pack was removed since the announcer was voiced by that creator. Nevermind then.

Last edited:
That happened in 2020. Doesn't seem to have any relation to this. There was also other censorship not related to fanservice as well, plus the removal of the Soviet Announcer Pack, from what I read.
I mean, Mike Z isn’t there, the people who ousted him are, now later there’s changes, seems related? Maybe these changes are not initiated by any of those people, maybe they’re not even there anymore, I don’t have the all details but it’s hard not to draw a connection. Like do you think this censorship would have happened if he was still there? I kinda doubt it.

I'm not going to complain either way but maybe they don't have the best judgement having it in to begin with. Stranger still waiting to act all this time later.

Hudo

It's the digital future, you buy one thing and the publisher or developer can decide to alter it any time in the future.
In an ideal world, the consumer would have the right to demand a refund if key things are altered retroactively by the developer. Censoring would be one of these key things, imho. That's still a problem that needs to be adressed in our way to "digital only".

vkbest

In an ideal world, the consumer would have the right to demand a refund if key things are altered retroactively by the developer. Censoring would be one of these key things, imho. That's still a problem that needs to be adressed in our way to "digital only".

The problem is we are not buying games, we are buying licenses. Laws are not updated for that market

All we would need is the ability to roll back to any patch version on digital games. This should be standard tbh 🤔

I mean, Mike Z isn’t there, the people who ousted him are, now later there’s changes, seems related? Maybe these changes are not initiated by any of those people, maybe they’re not even there anymore, I don’t have the all details but it’s hard not to draw a connection. Like do you think this censorship would have happened if he was still there? I kinda doubt it.
I actually updated my post just as you were quoting. It is, or at least some of it is, related to him after all, just took them over 2 years to do anything.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
small women don't exist, we all know that 😂

Real women have narrow hips, tiny breasts, refuse to shave their armpits and wear badass side shave haircuts.

Anyone who says otherwise is either a misogynist racist far right trump supporter nazi, or a weirdo incel living in his mother's basement who wants to jerk off to videogame characters, or both.
Probably both.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Imagine going out of your way to write a negative review because they patched out some little girls ass cheeks

The hell do you mean "imagine"? I'm doing it right now.

Also, where the fuck do you live where a body like that is on a little girl? Because I'm pretty sure you live in HER hometown...

3793636-eshl5tzw4aaiclg.jpg

Where-.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Imagine going out of your way to write a negative review because they patched out some little girls ass cheeks
Imagine going out of your way to patch some ass cheeks you drew a decade ago and have been seen by 98% of the people who’ll ever buy the game at this point.
Why not draw a bra on Gauguin’s topless girls while you’re at it?
And maybe remove the bandages from Van Gogh’s self-portraits and draw a perfectly normal ear on those, some self-mutilating bloke could get triggered.

K2D

Banned
Advice to devs in similar situations in the future:

-Own your history and mistakes (don't censor yourself and cow tow to appease a vocal minority)

-Know your fanbase

If this was the intended reaction for this developer - good for them. Any publisity is good publisity, right?

mopspear

I've never played this game and I don't know much about it, but what a weird waste of time and effort to patch this. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom