• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brothers Melee is like... the most replayable multiplayer game ever.

Items add more to SSBM, they are not cheap at all. All of them could be avoided with hilarious results.

For example the hammer. It was unstoppable in the frist Smash Brothers, but in Melee it could one of the worst weapons your opponent picks. It might break at any moment. It could be rendered useless if the player is stuck in a hole. Bombs, bats, and special moves could combat it.

Pokeballs are easily avoidable aswell. I can't think of one pokemon that is hard to avoid. What is hard though, is avoiding getting thrown where the Pokemon by your opponent.

No items are pretty cheap. Rare pokemons , hammers, stars, Lasers, etd etc... they do add to the fun sometime but cheap none the less.

I don't see items as cheap, even the health restoring ones as there is always a fight to claim it, especially with hearts. The hammer is incredible easy to counter, as kirby's rock, yoshi's hip drop, and bowsers butt pound all will send the hammer guy flying, hopefully off the edge where they're doomed. Lasers aren't cheap if you use the shield at the right moment, or use fox's shield for a good time. Stars are easy to counter as all you do is run away and dodge your opponent attacks for 30 seconds which isn't that hard. In my opinion, items separtate the green thumbs from the vets. If you get home runned by the bat, that's your fault as a shield will cancel a hit, and the wind up time is noticable.

Taking items off Smash Bros is like taking gernades out of halo multiplayer. The game doesn't have the same depth without them.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I think I first started turning items off when the inevitable, "You wouldn't have won if you hadn't gotten..." began.

Ristamar

human5892 said:
I think I first started turning items off when the inevitable, "You wouldn't have won if you hadn't gotten..." began.

Oh, I heard that one, to which I just laughed and pointed out to my original comment about controlling the stage. I also used to hear, "I killed more people than you!" Of course, we weren't playing Time Battle, so it doesn't really matter. Different game, different approach. Thankfully, most of my friends don't complain. They realize that the mode/options don't matter much, I win most matches regardless of the settings, which I think relates to what tenchir was trying to illustrate earlier.

tenchir

If you were a computer science major, you would explain why the items change the statistic in smal matches, not just yes and no. I already explain that it's insignficant and gave examples.

miyuru

tenchir said:
Then you aren't paying attention. When an item spawns, there's always a puff of smoke during the appearance of the item, but during the puff you can't hit the item.

Holy shit buddy, you're way too cocky. You're talking like you alone programmed SSBM!

Seriously, some people need to just chill on these boards.

miyuru

Lathentar said:
You can also press Z to grab an item in the air. It helps get its lying on the ground not being thrown at you, because Z won't perform an air dodge.

Some tips for collecting items:

IMO, always use Z to catch items in the air. I've never done it any other way.

Now that you know how to catch airborne items, you also know how to pick up items while running, and items on platforms above you (really easy!).

For instance, if an item is in front of you and you're dashing towards it, right as you pass it tap jump and then Z right after. This is the same as catching an item in midair. If you're jump is short enough, it'll look like you were just running and picked up the item along the way. Obviously, this is easier to do with certain characters over others.

Secondly, if there's an item on a platform above you, just jump through the platform and when your character is on the item, just hit Z. Totally awesome and frustrating for other players who thought they had the item! :)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The way I see, prohibiting people from using a certian character or stage or item is an admission of one's lack of skills and a confession of being a pussy. It's basically saying "I'm not good enough to counter that, therefore you can't do that."

Take the bomb example:

First, if you're that far from the ledge, you're already screwed. It means that you've had your butt rightly kicked, weakened to the point that you would fly that far and, now, are just praying that you can get back over. The whole point of the game is to avoid being in this situation to begin with; it's not unfair, cheap, or dumb luck to be finished off with a bomb.

Second, there several different ways your opponent could have finished you off and none of them require anymore skill. They could have just kept hitting you with their own projectiles until you fell; they could jump out, hit you with a smash attack and jump back to the ledge... as shown in the tutorial; they could charge up any smash attack or special attacks and just wait for you to come into range; or they could let their character fall off the side, so that they were holding onto the ledge and laugh as you have nothing to grab onto to your death.

Items are a major part of the game, that shouldn't be banned. Rather, you should learn to use them, and counter them properly.

I don't understand banning characters, item, or stages, especially in a tournament. It's impossible to make this game completely fair and even, unless every player uses the same character and they all have equal experience with that character. The reason is because each character have unique advantages created by the stage. DK and Bowser have an advantage in Hyrule because they don't fly very far even when damaged, while they'll have a disadvantage on the ice stage or even the Fountian of Dreams because of the limited verticle movement.

A true testimony of skill should be your abibility adopt to the any sitution. What pride is there in claiming to the best "if you play like this and if you do that and if, if, .... if?"

miyuru, since Samus and Link(s) fire their grappling beam and hookshot when you press Z, does that affect the timing?

Ristamar

JJConrad said:
...since Samus and Link(s) fire their grappling beam and hookshot when you press Z, does that affect the timing?

Not really, it just means you have to be more careful. Other character perform a basic throw motion when Z is pressed (and no items are available to grab), Link and Samus simply have to wait longer to recover.

miyuru

Ristamar said:
Not really, it just means you have to be more careful. Other character perform a basic throw motion when Z is pressed (and no items are available to grab), Link and Samus simply have to wait longer to recover.

Yeah, other characters will just do there neutral A move in the air when you press Z :)

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
miyuru said:
Some tips for collecting items:

IMO, always use Z to catch items in the air. I've never done it any other way.

When an item (such as a fan) is being thrown at you, it is extremely safe to short hop press R then A quickly to catch the item. Its very effective and if you miss, you're already air dodging and the item flies by you. Z is a BAD idea, because you might mess up and go sailing.

miyuru

Yeah, I was thinking about that.

Actually, I never knew about the R->A method ;)

I'll try it out later. It sounds a bit tedious compared to pressing Z, but in certain situations it's too risky to use otherwise.

Also can anyone consistently catch items? I don't know anyone that can! I mean like on the ground, you have to tap A to do it right? The timing is way too close!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
JJConrad said:
The way I see, prohibiting people from using a certian character or stage or item is an admission of one's lack of skills and a confession of being a pussy. It's basically saying "I'm not good enough to counter that, therefore you can't do that."

We don't really ban items but it's agreed that some items get turned off cause they suck a bit, like that silly pig thing that walks around, the umbrella etc. I like the high damage items. Scizor is a bitch to dodge as well.

miyuru

Mr. Saturn is useful because he leaves the enemy stunned for a moment, enough to get in another hit!

The umbrella's versatility depends on the level however. Either way it's fun to throw super high and land like 30 seconds later on someone :p

Ristamar

Pig thing? Dude, don't talk shit on Mr. Saturn. And Scizor is a wuss as long as he doesn't spawn right next to you. BTW, is there any use for Goldeen? I heard about a Goldeen insta-KO rumor, but it looks and sounds like bullshit to me considering the number of hours I've played.

miyuru said:
Yeah, I was thinking about that.
Also can anyone consistently catch items? I don't know anyone that can! I mean like on the ground, you have to tap A to do it right? The timing is way too close!

Like I said, I have no trouble with it, and I use the R + A method all the time.

tenchir

Ristamar said:
Pig thing? Dude, don't talk shit on Mr. Saturn. And Scizor is a wuss as long as he doesn't spawn right next to you. BTW, is there any use for Goldeen? I heard about a Goldeen insta-KO rumor, but it looks and sounds like bullshit to me considering the number of hours I've played.

The Goldeen instant KO happens very rarely.

tenchir

Ristamar said:
Interesting. Any videos on the web?

Not that I know of.

Edit: I did a bit more research. There's seem to be a controversy surrounding goldeen. One side says that Goldeen is completely useless, the other side thinks it can do an instant KO rarely and said they seen it themselves. Me, I thought I seen an instant KO from Goldeen before, but I'm not 100% sure now.

I don't think it will ever happen again for me, since me and my friends have a habit of staying away from Goldeen now because of the rumor and thought we seen it happen before.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know what this "items in SSBM" controversy reminds me of?

There was this guy in college who refused to play MK64 with us because "the items got in the way of the racing".

MK64: Generic Racer :: SSBM: Generic fighter

Top Bottom