• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, about that new iPhone Pro chip.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They have their own API, MetalFX, which currently has upscaling but they will likely add frame generation to the API soon. This is the advantage Apple has in being in control of the entire hardware and software stack top to bottom.
All console manufacturers also have that much control over hardware and software. Nintendo's OS is based off FreeBSD just like macOS/iOS. The hardware is also custom made for a Nintendo console. That said Nintendo's APIs are still superior. Nintendo even allows the use of Vulkan, which Apple does not.
The biggest limitation of smartphones is still that game sizes. The largest game on iOS is Genshin Impact at 20 GB. Devs can't afford to force smartphone players to download a large game. The smartphone has multiple uses. Hence, Witcher 3 is on Switch and not iPhone.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lots of you show how scared you are... just embrace the future.. it might not be apple.. hell it might even be a Sony device that runs away with it first... but one day you will all be gaming from tiny devices and "worst" yet .. cloud computing..(not video streaming). Its not an IF but a WHEN.

Minsc

Gold Member
Lots of you show how scared you are... just embrace the future.. it might not be apple.. hell it might even be a Sony device that runs away with it first... but one day you will all be gaming from tiny devices and "worst" yet .. cloud computing..(not video streaming). Its not an IF but a WHEN.

Perhaps, but the problem is there's nothing to embrace - is there? Everything this product offers is inferior to what we already have, as far as I can see. Lower framerate, lower quality settings, and I can only imagine the battery life, so I'm not seeing too much to really embrace here myself.

Besides, a phone running a few console games isn't really that new. We've had numerous Final Fantasy console games I-IX + Tactics, numerous Dragon Quest console games, and some of these are even actually a better version of the console ports, not a worse one, like what we have here. And yet, the embracing is still at quite the minimum from what I can see.

Mobile devices will always be at a disadvantage because:

a) power/temperature/cooling limits throttling performance
b) storage limits
c) controls

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Bullshit. Physics always win...

StereoVsn

Mobile devices will always be at a disadvantage because:

a) power/temperature/cooling limits throttling performance
b) storage limits
c) controls
d)People use their mobile devices for other stuff. From calling to doing video to watching YouTube to using multitude of apps (form car to finance) and so on. Real life stuff.

Most folks will not blow their main communication device’s battery life on gaming unless they are at home. And if they are at home there are better devices to game on.

d)People use their mobile devices for other stuff. From calling to doing video to watching YouTube to using multitude of apps (form car to finance) and so on. Real life stuff.

Most folks will not blow their main communication device’s battery life on gaming unless they are at home. And if they are at home there are better devices to game on.

Not the point of the thread. The thread's solely talking about gaming.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
lol Switch was not even as powerful as the iPhone available back when it launched in 2017. And Switch 2 will be nowhere near as powerful as iPhone 15 Pro
Clearly OP didn’t do any research on Apple’s architecture. The A17 is light years ahead of anything anyone even has in the pipeline, with the clock already ticking towards the M3 and A18.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This. I would even go as far as putting controls as a) instead of c)
Controls are an easy solution: use whichever controller you want.

And mobile devices will not “ALWAYS” be at a disadvantage. Give it 10 years and there might be zero difference. If not 10, then 15 and if not 15…

Eventually, all devices will be mobile, casting onto your screen, VR headset, TV, etc.

Controls are an easy solution: use whichever controller you want.

And mobile devices will not “ALWAYS” be at a disadvantage. Give it 10 years and there might be zero difference. If not 10, then 15 and if not 15…

Eventually, all devices will be mobile, casting onto your screen, VR headset, TV, etc.
As soon as a great controller isn't included with every device, it's a fail. Sure, you can connect any controller you want but that totally ruins the convenience with a dedicated handheld gaming device. Also, there's compatibility and you want every gamer to have the same great experience.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Not the point of the thread. The thread's solely talking about gaming.
It’s a point because the function drives the design which in turn affects performance.

These devices are not engineered to be “gaming consoles” due to the functional requirements.

yugoluke

After watching videos and digging into it, the chip that powers the new iPhone Pro models is more powerful than Nintendo Switch right?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean that Nintendo should be scared of Apple etc. Nintendo has strong history and software to support itself.

I am talking about hardware side only now. I think that the next switch console will be on par with the new iPhone pro chip, the catch is that a console cycle holds around 5-7 years at least but Apple is releasing a new phone with a new chip every year. Hardware wise it will be difficult for other companies to follow along (I really don’t understand how Apple is managing these improvements every year).

So, after the switch 2 is released, the next iPhone will be more powerful, it’s really extraordinary. Now if third party companies release a dock for iPhone with a cooling system which can also charge the iPhone, with a Bluetooth controller you have a console to play on your screen and on the go. Do you think that Apple will dive more into gaming in the future, will they disrupt the market?

I think that they will, they are testing the waters with Apple Arcade which is very profitable and they won’t stop there. Also, if their new Apple TVs will have pro chips they are literally consoles.

As I mentioned above, I talk about hardware specifically, I am not talking about software and I don’t mean that Nintendo should be scared of Apple. Steam deck, Rog Ally etc. should worry more than Nintendo as they lack the dedicated software.
To me the more interesting thing if when (not if) they put this chip (or newer) in upcoming Apple tv's. This will probably solve the passive cooling issue and actually be something quite interesting.

It’s a point because the function drives the design which in turn affects performance.

These devices are not engineered to be “gaming consoles” due to the functional requirements.

But there are people talking about how mobile devices will overtake their bigger counterparts. Which is what I was responding to.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
it can have most powerful chips for "graphics" but for me there are fundamental problems that prevents it from ever becoming proper gaming platform.

1. I dont like play games on my iPhone with touch screen, you could say I can buy controller for them but the phone itself is already super expensive I dont want spend extra to just buy controler for it.....(at that point I rather just spend on better gaming system).

2. and most important part is games....people can shit on Switch for being "weak system" all they want but you cant deny the fact it has quality games, which why so many people buy Switch despite lack of "power".

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
iPhone gaming is interesting the ability has always been there, it scares people that you could go full on gaming with an iPhone.
Jordan Relaxing GIF by Katie Price

BootsLoader

Banned
To me the more interesting thing if when (not if) they put this chip (or newer) in upcoming Apple tv's. This will probably solve the passive cooling issue and actually be something quite interesting.
Can’t wait to see the performance that it will achieve. You’re right.

Nobody said that, it’s just impressive to have such performance in such small factor.

What about this?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What about this?
They willl, but let me be clear its not happening this year or next. 10 years ago I have said 50 -60 years. now I am guessing 30 - 40 years from now.

But more than that you have to understand ... I am not talking solely about playing a game on your phone more as every home, town, city will have its own and be tied into a computational grid that you will "stream" games to your devices faster than the avg controller lag nowdays.

If you want to go even further to 80 - 100 years I am willing to bet that the economy switches from electric and internet being the most expensive bills every month to purchasing computational power at a premium .

Last edited:

StereoVsn

But there are people talking about how mobile devices will overtake their bigger counterparts. Which is what I was responding to.
Yes, which was part of my point. Functionality needed for other matters is driving the design of the device. Which is something not really well geared to play games at the end.

Can you play games on these devices? Of course and hundreds of millions of people do that.

Can the mobile do it well without additional accessories (can’t guarantee users have it) and consistently over long time (2-3 hours)? Eh, not quite.

Don’t get me wrong, mobiles are powerful. Got the new 15 Pro Max myself and had nice Android devices before.

But unless the game supports controller (SE is terrible at this), and you have a decent one, experience kind of sucks.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
As soon as a great controller isn't included with every device, it's a fail. Sure, you can connect any controller you want but that totally ruins the convenience with a dedicated handheld gaming device. Also, there's compatibility and you want every gamer to have the same great experience.
The (far) future is not dedicated, it’s all in one devices. I don’t think we’ll see this in the next 10 years, but we will someday see it!

Top Bottom