• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So i hate the feel of mechanical keyboards

Keihart

Tried a few over my years of gaming, i play pc and console games, had a lot of experience with many different kinds of keyboards but i can't understand the appeal of a mechanical keyboard. It feels like a typewriter (i have used one as a kid) and i hate how "hard" it feels to press and the bounce back. Aesthetically i hate how loud they are, i don't watch many streams or lets plays but i have heard the sound of someone using a loud mechanical keyboard alongside the gameplay, can't understand why that is an appeal but i guess its like people who want their car or bike to sound really loud. Am i the only one? or is this a common thought and mechanical keyboard lovers are just more vocal on the matter?
The fact that it feels like a typewriter as you say it's a feature and not a flaw, the appeal is about feedback.
What i don't get is Cherry MX black and red, they have no click to them so their only feature is their reliability. Browns are the middleground and blues are almost full typewritter experience.

AndrewRyan

What i don't get is Cherry MX black and red, they have no click to them so their only feature is their reliability.

I type for a living and tried many keyboards and my favorite are the Cherry MX Quiet Red switches. They don't have an audio click but you can still feel the switches activating. You shouldn't press them all the way down so they bottom out but only enough to activate the switch. They are silky smooth, light travel, consistent, don't bother my co-workers and provide great feedback compared to non-mechanical keys. Feels like my fingers are flying over them while typing.

Shifty

You crazy OP. They're straight up better-built than cheapie rubber dome boards.
Try red switches if you don't like resistance on your keypresses, and steer away from blue or black.

And I guess if we're also waving our respective keyboard dicks, loud clicky blue switches for life. Feels like that shit was made for typing.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I used to play fighting games on keyboard and noticed that with mechanical I needed to readjust the timing compared to plastic keyboard,which I had been used to. Other than that for typing mechanicals are way better

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The fact that it feels like a typewriter as you say it's a feature and not a flaw, the appeal is about feedback.
What i don't get is Cherry MX black and red, they have no click to them so their only feature is their reliability. Browns are the middleground and blues are almost full typewritter experience.

Browns are terrible tho :/

The tactile "bump" is non-existent. I think cherry makes excellent linear and clicky switches, but their táctiles are a bit iffy. Clear is ok but they're too heavy for a lot of people.

IMHO.

tumblr_mrdt70JOFO1sqb6imo2_500.gifv

mechanical, always.

I'm actually with you OP though I wouldn't use the word hate. More-so I prefer non mechanical. The most perfect keyboard I've used is the Razer Ornata which is like a mixture of membrane and mechanical.

You wanna know a secret? I prefer the new MacBook keyboards over any other keyboard while not playing games.

There's so many different types. They last longer and in general give you more feedback feel. Hard to believe you hate every single type there is, but whatever. You do you.

Tried a few over my years of gaming, i play pc and console games, had a lot of experience with many different kinds of keyboards but i can't understand the appeal of a mechanical keyboard. It feels like a typewriter (i have used one as a kid) and i hate how "hard" it feels to press and the bounce back. Aesthetically i hate how loud they are, i don't watch many streams or lets plays but i have heard the sound of someone using a loud mechanical keyboard alongside the gameplay, can't understand why that is an appeal but i guess its like people who want their car or bike to sound really loud. Am i the only one? or is this a common thought and mechanical keyboard lovers are just more vocal on the matter?

There's a lot of self-defense flak coming your way for some reason. It's just an opinion gaf, chill out.

I use a mech keyboard at home and a quieter flat keyboard (it's solar powered, wireless, and light has hell so it's PERFECT for contracting) for working. I definitely find that my hands hurts less using the mechanical. I think the extra work my hands have to do with the mech strengthens them just enough to solve the aches. I get the noise angle. I also get that watching a stream with mech key clacks in the background is annoying as fuck.

You can always tell who's the programmer in the room by their clacks and, for some reason, mountain walking shoes.

Top Bottom