• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Jurassic World is pretty enjoyable..(spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really feel like having a chat with an article though, thanks for your input

anyway, it is basically saying "I don't think that death was earned" and I'm saying, so what?

the idea that this film doesn't follow some unwritten, arbitrary rules that the author has invented about someone's death is not even up there as a problem to me

they needed to show that the dinosaurs were ferocious and they did it, just because they didn't use it for some higher-power story arc is the writer's issue and not the film's

Again, it's a Hollywood blockbuster about dinosaurs, I'm not sure why you're so hung up on the 'concept' and 'themes' like a first year film student.

(says the poster with a degree in film studies which is worth less than the paper it's printed on in the real world, sick burn on myself)

But yes it does actually add something to the film: surprise and shock, which is what a good dinosaur (and horror-lite) film should have.
This isn't some AAA film that was shat out by Michael Bay, this was SUPPOSED to be an entry in a long running franchise with established themes and ideas about the dinosaur v human relationship. This film is tonally inconsistent, slapstick and cruel, and overall really dumb.

Read this link, it's not about dinosaur morality, we know dinosaurs are going to eat people. It's a Jurassic Park film. It is about who it happens to, why it happens to them, and how long it is in the context of the rest of the movie.

I already mentioned that in this thread as the only death that is even comparable. Thankfully it is far shorter than Zara's.
All that link tells me is that "there are rules in movies about deaths how dare you not follow them, was it because she's a woman on the phone?"

I saw a shocking death and was therefore shocked. Whether it follows common practice or not it doesn't change that fact. It was a single death in a movie filled with ridiculous shit. I'm just not seeing the argument why a filmmaker can't do what they want because it's a long established franchise or because of a rule in cinema. We don't even know what their goal with the scene was, or have they explained?

daviyoung

Banned
This isn't some AAA film that was shat out by Michael Bay, this was SUPPOSED to be an entry in a long running franchise with established themes and ideas about the dinosaur v human relationship. This film is tonally inconsistent, slapstick and cruel, and overall really dumb.

lol no, it's Jurassic Park, which is the Frankenstein story with dinosaurs

they are all AAA films and I don't know what Michael Bay has to do with it

All that link tells me is that "there are rules in movies about deaths how dare you not follow them, was it because she's a woman on the phone?"

I saw a shocking death and was therefore shocked. Whether it follows common practice or not it doesn't change that fact. It was a single death in a movie filled with ridiculous shit. I'm just not seeing the argument why a filmmaker can't do what they want because it's a long established franchise or because of a rule in cinema. We don't even know what their goal with the scene was, or have they explained?

lol no, it's Jurassic Park, which is basically Frankenstein with dinosaurs

they are all AAA films and I don't know what Michael Bay has to do with it
It's fine if you guys don't want to critique the film as what it is - a jurassic park film - but it's not like I pulled these three articles out of my ass while writing responses in this thread, people were not happy with her death and wrote about it. Hopefully the production staff take note.

I'm not going to reply anymore because I have wasted way too much time since this piece of shit came out arguing about why it's trash.

It's fine if you guys don't want to critique the film as what it is - a jurassic park film - but it's not like I pulled these three articles out of my ass while writing responses in this thread, people were not happy with her death and wrote about it. Hopefully the production staff take note.

I'm not going to reply anymore because I have wasted way too much time since this piece of shit came out arguing about why it's trash.
Im not going to critique it because when I watched it I knew it was a dumb film, I laughed at shit audibly out loud that was meant to be serious apparently because it's a dumb film, and I came out of the movie with tears in my eyes over how much I laughed. It was a schlocky film about dinosaurs in an island that happens to be a long running franchise. Be my guest and critique it, but I didn't come out offended over anything.

My only complaint is that they didn't use the amazing harmonica cover of the theme from YouTube in this movie

Wow I didn't know that scene was such a problem for some people. When I saw it I was like 'meh, a bit excessive maybe' and that's that :p

But I do get the criticism.

Toa TAK

Banned
I had a lot of fun watching it. It's dumb, flawed, etc. but it's an easy watch. Loved the finale. Good score, too. I'll put The Lost World over it easily.

MrChom

Jurassic World was...not great for me.

I felt like there were too many independent plotlines and picking any one of them would have made for a better movie on its own because it would have been simple. As it was it ended up in a hodge-podge mix of plotlines that didn't entirely fit together, and the final half hour was just bad.

Jurassic Park remains the one decent film in the franchise for me.

The woman's death was the best bit of the film. Over-the-top but fun as hell. Stupid 'controversy'.

The series needs more of that. This is a film series which started with a guy getting eaten whilst taking a shit next to a T-Rex enclosure.

lol. no he was. not.

grendelrt

What about in Lost World where the Malcom's friend is being super brave trying to save them and gets torn in half by two T Rex? That's pretty brutal for a character that was good lol

Kazuhira

I've enjoyed it quite a lot but i wish they would get rid off the kids,they were a waste of screentime imo.
Also,i didn't like the constant 'in your face' easter eggs from the first movie,yeah we know it's another sequel to that great movie.
I still find pretty funny that Claire had to leave hastily the Indominus Rex's cage just to make a phone call to the control room from her car.

y2dvd

It was mediocre and gets worse the more I think about it.

Zada's death scene was perfectly explained in that article and was exactly how I felt.

The parents divorce whining came out of the blue.

The chemistry was terrible and the kiss incredibly forced.

The park giving free reign to roam around in that bubble vehicle is just lazy.

The raptors turn around to pets was pretty laughable. Also their creation for military use was a bit much to buy.

Had to suspend a lot of disbelief to accept the new dinosaur getting away with all that it was doing.

So on and so on.

I don't like it at all. I hated the movie when I saw it in cinemas and I don't think I can watch it more than once. It is a poorly made movie, IMO.

FunkyMonk

That end sequence made me laugh so damn much, it felt like a wwe tag team fight, I kept expecting a folded chair to be used and the t-rex & raptor to high five each other at the end.

Still I'm in the minority amongst my friends & family who tended to like it, each to their own I guess.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What they did with the assistant, and the fact that even the main villain didn't get killed on screen, still pisses me off.

I rewatched that scene a few times. Odd that Zara was the only person that died in that entire scene. Dozens of these creatures attacking, hundreds of people running (including children), and she alone is the one that is successfully killed. if the death sequence wasn't so dragged on (seriously, how many times was she dropped, recaught, dropped, thrown into the pool, art led, etc?), and if quite a number of people besides her also died, then you can make the argument that, "you know what, shit happens." But when it happens in a vacuum like that, it becomes obvious what the attempt was.

Characters dying isn't a problem. The manner that was chosen for her, and the fact that she alone was singled out for it is. It doesn't help that the film was very heavy handily trying to get you to dislike her.

But besides that and some other mind r things, I can't say I hated the film. I enjoyed it for bringing dinosaurs back to the big screen.

The biggest missed opportunity for the entire film for me was the end ...

I feel it would have been totally rad if ...

The T Rex see's based on movement, we all know that. The Diablothingy can disappeaar right? well... hint hint. What should have happened was the T Rex was released and was clearly the underdog. Smaller, weaker etc.. and shouln't have a chance to win. When it starts to turn the tide, the Diablothingy should have gone invisible to try and pull a finishing move. However, Diablothingy doesn't realize that T Rex the heroine can see her still. Boom ... T Rex saves the day again in dramatic fashion with this twist and pays homage to lore from the first movie.

Instead, we got what we got.

Heshinsi

The T Rex see's based on movement, we all know that. The Diablothingy can disappeaar right? well... hint hint. What should have happened was the T Rex was released and was clearly the underdog. Smaller, weaker etc.. and shouln't have a chance to win. When it starts to turn the tide, the Diablothingy should have gone invisible to try and pull a finishing move. However, Diablothingy doesn't realize that T Rex the heroine can see her still. Boom ... T Rex saves the day again in dramatic fashion with this twist and pays homage to lore from the first movie.

Ah, the first book has a character eaten by a T-Rex because he too believed that about the T-Rex lol

Sephzilla

that would have been cool

LakeEarth

My favorite part was when the one guy tried to throw a small net onto the I.Rex that barely even covered its snout, like it was going to help. It was probably the most futile thing I've seen in a movie.

Something I don't see many mention is the huge plot hole where they comment that all the dinosaurs have electric shock things implanted in them (thus the big reveal when the I.Rex dug it out, "he remembered when they put it in!") and yet once the pterodactyls got loose, those fuckers had free reign. Didn't think to put those things on them? Nah, they're in a glass dome, they're fine!

Heshinsi

My favorite part was when the one guy tried to throw a small net onto the I.Rex that barely even covered its snout, like it was going to help. It was probably the most futile thing I've seen in a movie.

Something I don't see many mention is the huge plot hole where they comment that all the dinosaurs have electric shock things implanted in them (thus the big reveal when the I.Rex dug it out, "he remembered when they put it in!") and yet once the pterodactyls got loose, those fuckers had free reign. Didn't think to put those things on them? Nah, they're in a glass dome, they're fine!
The probably do have the chip implanted, it's just that the script forgot about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom