• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So let's talk about a the hit and murder of a journalist in Slovakia

Mario007

I haven't seen a thread on this, but I thought this was something that ought to catch international attention even from a small country such as Slovakia.

So basically during the last week, it transpired that a reporter of news portal Aktuality.sk, Kuciak, was murdered (presumably by a hitman) in his home along with his girlfriend. He was shot in the chest and his girlfriend was shot right in the head.

As a murder of a journalist is something that has happened in Europe in maybe twice in the last twenty years, obviously this cause an uproar. Everyone wanted to see what the journalist was writing about and attention turned to the government who has failed to protect the journalist and has, for years now, used very offensive language when talking about journalists and has verbally attacked the journalists repeatedly. Further, the minister for internal affairs (ie police) has been in hot water for over a year due to his contacts with bussinessmen in Slovakia and helping them one of them, Basternak, receive money back illegally from the state as a return on tax. The Prime Minister to this day is living in the apartment owned by Basternak and rented to him for a below-market price.

First theory was that hit was to do with the 90s Slovakia ganster Kocner with whom Kuciak had a fight outside of the courtroom half a year ago. Kocner was then threatning Kuciak, however police decided to nothing about it.

The second theory and the most likely one, was to do with the article he was in the process of writing. That article was published by all of the Slovak media last week and spoke of Italian mobsters settling down in the east of Slovakia and starting up businesses to launder money, using Eurofunds to do so. Furthermore, it was discovered by Kuciak that the mobsters had direct business dealings and personally knew people who would ascend to power positions in the state (such as the advisor to the prime minister or the chariman of the security commission). Since then, Slovakia has had experience a crisis, as the government refuses to resign over the allegations.

Thoughts, GAF? This honestly feels like watching a movie...expect its real and happening in my home country

Corrik

Can you provide a link? Not to sound rude, but while the subject sounds interesting, I am not entirely sure I understand the entire event via your explanation of it.

Corrik

I don't know what they mean by making of a contract killing means in describing the death. I am actually curious to that. That said, I mean if they did hire a hit on this reporter, I wonder how they knew he was writing it and why they didn't actually prevent it from releasing.

On one hand, yes, it could be untrue to try and overthrow the government. Either by capitalizing on an inaccurate report or by planting the story to be released to mark the government. However, the fact it released after his death seems to speak that what is written in the article is true. He clearly went about a way that he thought he could die for the article and had plans in motion to release it upon his death if it happened.

If it is true then that area is in trouble. I do not support overthrowing the government, but they should speak with their vote in the next election.

Mario007

Thanks man.
I don't know what they mean by making of a contract killing means in describing the death. I am actually curious to that. That said, I mean if they did hire a hit on this reporter, I wonder how they knew he was writing it and why they didn't actually prevent it from releasing.

On one hand, yes, it could be untrue to try and overthrow the government. Either by capitalizing on an inaccurate report or by planting the story to be released to mark the government. However, the fact it released after his death seems to speak that what is written in the article is true. He clearly went about a way that he thought he could die for the article and had plans in motion to release it upon his death if it happened.

If it is true then that area is in trouble. I do not support overthrowing the government, but they should speak with their vote in the next election.
Apparently they found ammo or something at the crime scene organised in such a way that corresponds with a hit kill.

The article was published by his news portal and all of the news in Slovakia after he died and and the head reported of Akutality.sk gave the permission to publish it (I presume he must have know what Kuciak was writing about).

It's not so much about overthrowing the government but rather the relevant ministers or the government resigning and taking responsibility. Even if the Italian mob did not order the kill you still have a very well researched article from Kuciak that suggests that the government party MPs, the Head of the Security Commission and the assistant and advisor to the prime minister were all directly involved with an Italian mobster in Slovakia .

Last edited:

DiscoJer

It's kinda strange how little attention is given to this considering how big of a story it is.

Slovakia isn't a very big country. Like what, 5 million people?

Then again, Iceland only has 350,000 people yet is in the news all the time. But East European countries aren't well known in the West.

llien

How big an impact will this story have on upcoming parliamentary elections? (which is July 2018 if I"m am not mistaken)

A dictator probably responsible?

It does look like Hungarian government is corrupt, but dictatorship is much harsher than simply corrupt.
Controlling media, rigging elections, I think both of those are beyond his control.

ar0s

If there was a way they could have blamed Russia for what happened, the Western world would have been swamped with this story.

It's shocking and disgusting from what you have explained and sounds like the country still struggles with corruption. However as many former Communist nations do I'm not surprised this kind of thing is basically ignored when Russia is not 'to blame'.

Corrupt governments can do whatever they want as long as they are allied with the correct nations. Have you considered migration? I'm sorry to say I see it as unlikely to change anytime soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom