• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So now that Michael Jackson ain't worth shit...(Beatles related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
When will Paul and Ringo be buying back what is rightfully theirs?

BTW: Lots of respect to Paul for donating half a million yesterday for the Tsunami recovery.

AlphaSnake said:
When will Paul and Ringo be buying back what is rightfully theirs?

BTW: Lots of respect to Paul for donating half a million yesterday for the Tsunami recovery.

it costs a lot of money to buy back THEIR OWN SONGS. jesus that jacko is a worthless, insecure freak. hopefully they have enough money to buy back their stuff.

AlphaSnake

evil solrac v3.0 said:
it costs a lot of money to buy back THEIR OWN SONGS. jesus that jacko is a worthless, insecure freak. hopefully they have enough money to buy back their stuff.

He'll be forced to sell it off in a few months, I'm sure. I doubt his lawyers (or whatever) will advise him to sell it for too much. At the moment Paul and Ringo own about 45% of the material, and Jackson owns the rest. I've always thought he was a piece of shit for doing that and completely screwing McCartney out of what is rightfully his.

Manics

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
He'll be forced to sell it off in a few months, I'm sure. I doubt his lawyers (or whatever) will advise him to sell it for too much. At the moment Paul and Ringo own about 45% of the material, and Jackson owns the rest. I've always thought he was a piece of shit for doing that and completely screwing McCartney out of what is rightfully his.

Mike should put it up on eBay.

i don't know for sure, but i seem to remember someone bringing this up to Paul a couple years ago, and he didn't seem interested. Im sure, for the right price though, he could snap them up.

AlphaSnake

Gek54 said:
How did MJ screw anyone. Who sold it to him?

According to Paul and many others it basically went like this: The record label (Apple) folded in the late 80s and all of the material The Beatles put out with them was theirs (the label's). So they began to sell off various properties, the most important being all of The Beatles stuff. At the time Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney had become good friends, and many said Paul mentored Michael. When it came down to bidding, Jackson outbid McCartney, Harrison and Ringo and bought over half of their records. McCartney said it was the biggest slap in the face he's ever faced and he hasn't spoken to Jackson since. Basically, people close to both of them said Jackson kind of went behind McCartney's back and told him at the very last minute about his participation. Originally the plan was just to let Paul, George and Ringo to buy their material and that's that, but MJ interfered.

Not only that, McCartney and Jackson were friends (having done Say Say Say), and Jackson probably wouldn't have bought the publishing rights to the songs if McCartney hadn't have given him some financial advise:

Singer Michael Jackson bought the publishing rights for most of the Beatles' music, on August 10, 1985, for $47 million. McCartney, who had been attempting to purchase the rights himself, had told Jackson that he should get into publishing. McCartney did not expect Jackson to purchase the Beatles music. McCartney did not expect Jackson to purchase the Beatles music. "I wrote a couple of letters and I said, Michael, don't you think that - even if I was just a writer on the payroll - after 30 years of being reasonably successful to this company that you now own, don't you think I could have a raise?" said McCartney. "And he said 'Oh Paul, that's just business'. He won't even answer my letters, so we haven't talked and we don't have that great a relationship. The trouble is I wrote those songs for nothing and buying them back at these phenomenal sums... I just can't do it."

http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/the_beatles_bio.html

What a douche, indeed...

AlphaSnake

Guzim said:
I thought Ringo and Harrison had sole ownership of their songs and not Jacko?

They do. But they were also part of the bidding war against MJ to secure The Beatles stuff.

geogaddi

Banned
I don't mean to offend the guy, but, gosh, I wonder what the heck we would see if we make a machine to probe his sick mind.

What's wrong with that fellow?

AlphaSnake said:
They do. But they were also part of the bidding war against MJ to secure The Beatles stuff.

According to Ringo Starr, Jackson never bought, or thought about buying, any songs other than the Lennon/McCartney ones.

George and Ringo (the few songs he wrote) bought back their songs long before the record company ever went out of business. I think George bought his back as soon as his Dark Horse label go up and running. Afterall, George only had writing credits on maybe 30 songs and Ringo had only a handful, so it wouldn't have been quite as much as Lennon-McCartney, who obviously had quite a lot of songs.

Another reason why Jackson was able to get in on it was because Macca was trying to get Yoko Ono to go in with him and they had some sort of disagreement on the numbers.

Shinobi

geogaddi said:
I don't mean to offend the guy, but, gosh, I wonder what the heck we would see if we make a machine to probe his sick mind.

Heh, funny you should mention that...here's what local columnist Rick McGinnis had to say about that very subject a couple days ago.

JACKOVISION: The Hollywood Reporter says Court TV will air a special next month on the “psychological state” of Michael Jackson, in addition to re-enactments of each day of the trial.

The mind boggles at the thought of an hour of air time devoted to Jackson’s mind. Imagine The Wizard Of Oz flash-cut against a dozen Liz Taylor movies and stray frames of Jackson doing one of his disturbing crotch grabs, over a soundtrack of nursery rhymes sung in keening falsetto, scored to broken calliope and bags of broken glass shaken violently, with Jackson’s trademark squeals looped endlessly and run through a cavernous echo. Anything less would be a lie.

http://www.metronews.ca/column_tube_talk.asp?id=5647&cid=650

Rorschach

As of September of last year, Michael Jackson still hadn't paid off the songs he bid on. There was a big story about how the people he was in debt to were hounding him for failure to meet payment deadlines. After that, he decided to license off more songs to advertising companies. I'm not sure if he's paid them off yet.

AlphaSnake

MaverickX9 said:
According to Ringo Starr, Jackson never bought, or thought about buying, any songs other than the Lennon/McCartney ones.

George and Ringo (the few songs he wrote) bought back their songs long before the record company ever went out of business. I think George bought his back as soon as his Dark Horse label go up and running. Afterall, George only had writing credits on maybe 30 songs and Ringo had only a handful, so it wouldn't have been quite as much as Lennon-McCartney, who obviously had quite a lot of songs.

Another reason why Jackson was able to get in on it was because Macca was trying to get Yoko Ono to go in with him and they had some sort of disagreement on the numbers.

Oh I know dude. I know that George and Ringo secured their stuff. But they still donated money to Paul for him to secure the others; that's why I said they participated in the bidding. McCartney didn't straight out pay out of his own pockets, he had to raise a lot of money and a lot of it came from Ringo and George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom